Build thread on the GT-VX2 Explorer.

Resasi

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Gyrs, RAF 2000/Mgni/Bnsn/Hrnet/Mrlin/Crckt/MT-03/Lyzlle AV18-A/Prdtor. Pax ArrowCopter
Total Flight Time
100+ gyro, 16,000+ other
No worries JM, the information elicited was very interesting to me.

Jean Claude

Aircraft
I piloted gliders C800, Bijave, C 310, airplanes Piper J3 , PA 28, Jodel D117, DR 220, Cessna 150, C
Total Flight Time
About 500 h (FW + ultra light)
22 degrees on each side if aspect ratio is 4 are sufficent

Last edited:

Capt'n Gator

Aircraft
Dominator Single 582BH N401JC
Total Flight Time
150+
Do you have an empty weight with full fuel but no pilot? What was the fuel capacity?

Resasi

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Gyrs, RAF 2000/Mgni/Bnsn/Hrnet/Mrlin/Crckt/MT-03/Lyzlle AV18-A/Prdtor. Pax ArrowCopter
Total Flight Time
100+ gyro, 16,000+ other
Do you have an empty weight with full fuel but no pilot? What was the fuel capacity?
Not yet we still have equipment to mount.

4.8 galls per tank, 9.6 total.

Resasi

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
100+ gyro, 16,000+ other
We have run into a slowdown Wolfy. I am stranded in UK and Denis with a backlog of regular work, so down to a crawl. Waiting to see when I can get back over. Usual story, last 10% takes 90% of the time.

GyrOZprey

Aussie in Kansas.
Aircraft
Butterfly Aurora N5560Z / Titanium Explorer N456TE & N488TE/ - trained in MTOsport 446QT/488FB
Total Flight Time
It was sure an awesome show-piece on display at Mentone ...2020 PRA Convention ...... when I get my single place Butterfly up-to date with maintenance and flyable.... may well take it up to Denis to get some of the insanely crude & heavy components replaced with his exquisitely machined & made parts!

I'm SO sorry to hear ...Leigh is separated by the crazy politics & world events from his "dream-machine" .... seems the "2-week" gyro-builder's mantra is in full force here!:cry:

Resasi

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
100+ gyro, 16,000+ other
Thanks Christine, yes, unfortunately it started so well, then life got in the way. Just so pleased that it made it to Mentone. with Denis. This’ll pass, and if I haven’t, be back to get her into the air.:)

That sound like a great idea, you certainly won’t regret getting any part from Denis, they are made to a very high standard, and you know he’s put his heart into them.

Capt'n Gator

Aircraft
Total Flight Time
150+
I thought I heard someone had a hard landing in Denis's Black gyro during Mentone....any truth to that and who the pilot was???

GyrOZprey

Aussie in Kansas.
Aircraft
Butterfly Aurora N5560Z / Titanium Explorer N456TE & N488TE/ - trained in MTOsport 446QT/488FB
Total Flight Time
I thought I heard someone had a hard landing in Denis's Black gyro during Mentone....any truth to that and who the pilot was???
The VERY embarrassed party ...will comment on his own about what happened ...in due course - I'm sure! None of his friends will dox him!

Vance

Gyroplane CFI
Aircraft
Givens Predator
Total Flight Time
2400+ in rotorcraft
She flew beautifully with very little stick shake, good rudder authority and very maneuverable.

I did not spend enough time getting to know the aircraft, the panel, the sight picture and the unusual throttle on the ground.

I could not hear the radio once I was airborne so after a little air work restricted by a low ceiling I came back to land.

I was a little slow and flared a little high and touched down tail wheel first.

It was a hard enough landing to bend the keel and damage the prop.

I should have added power and had confusion managing the twist throttle.

There is no excuse for my carelessness.

Denis was very nice about it and initially refused to have me pay for the damage.

We eventually reached an agreement.

I tried to load a video of the mishap here but it would not load for me.

Kevin_Richey

Yamaha gyro...Oregon, USA
Vance: It takes guts/courage to admit to a mishap, however slight! Thank you!
I say thank you because I & others try to learn from mistakes pilots make, hopefully to avoid the same occurrence.

I don't want to learn of other's mistakes for the excitement or some sort of goulish fantasy factor, but as a learning experience.

Last edited:

Vance

Gyroplane CFI
Aircraft
Givens Predator
Total Flight Time
2400+ in rotorcraft
Vance: It takes guts/courage to admit to a mishap, however slight! Thank you!
I say thank you because I & others try to learn from mistakes pilot's make, hopefully to avoid the same occurrence.

As a flight instructor part of what I do when demonstrating a maneuver is to explain what I am doing wrong and how I am mitigating it.

I don’t see this mishap as being any different other than the lack of success in mitigating the slow approach and high flare.

In my opinion the lessons that were reinforced by my mishap were:

Never hurry aviation.

Becoming familiar with the controls is time well spent.

Becoming familiar with the instruments is time well spent.

Overconfidence is my nemesis.

For me there is value in quiet contemplation for at least a half hour before flying a different aircraft.

I had spent the last three days training in a Sport Copter II and I was attuned to a tall enclosed gyroplane with heavy rotors and a spindle head.

It would be hard to imagine a more divergent gyroplane.

There is value in balancing on the mains and crow hops. I did neither in an effort to spend less time on the runway. I would have had to taxi back on the runway at Mentone as the grass was rough.

None of these are excuses; only an effort to share the lessons.

I felt terrible about damaging Denis’s kinetic art.

Capt'n Gator

Aircraft
Total Flight Time
150+
She flew beautifully with very little stick shake, good rudder authority and very maneuverable.

I did not spend enough time getting to know the aircraft, the panel, the sight picture and the unusual throttle on the ground.

I could not hear the radio once I was airborne so after a little air work restricted by a low ceiling I came back to land.

I was a little slow and flared a little high and touched down tail wheel first.

It was a hard enough landing to bend the keel and damage the prop.

I should have added power and had confusion managing the twist throttle.

There is no excuse for my carelessness.

Denis was very nice about it and initially refused to have me pay for the damage.

We eventually reached an agreement.

Thanks Vance, was just curious what happened being that the gyro is new to most of us and that I am considering one of the 912 units like Resai is building.

I tried to load a video of the mishap here but it would not load for me.

Capt'n Gator

Aircraft
Total Flight Time
150+
Thanks Vance, I was just curious as to what happened, since these gyros are new to most of us and I am considering the 912 unit like Resai is building.

Vance

Gyroplane CFI
Aircraft
Givens Predator
Total Flight Time
2400+ in rotorcraft
I would recommend the GT-VX1 I flew without reservation.

I prefer a four stroke so the GT-VX2 is more alluring to me.

The wind without a windshield was less disruptive than I expected.

The pump handle cyclic takes some getting used to.

I prefer a more conventional throttle quadrant to the twist grip.

I found no perceptible power-pitch-yaw coupling.

It was not a complete test flight because of the radio challenges and the environment.

She flies very differently than a Dominator.

Resasi

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
100+ gyro, 16,000+ other
Sorry to hear of the mishap Vance. The idea of the twist grip throttle did not appeal to me either and the throttle on the GT-VX2 will be conventional.

The throttle in the event of a cable brake will close, rather than default to WOT, as it normally does on the 912, which incidentally will do away with throttle creeping open if throttle friction is loose.

The throttle will be situated very close to the cyclic type operation of the prerotator handle, so as the pre-rotation is engaged by pulling up on the handle it can be nudged up for an increase in engine rpm, then, when the prerotator is released, then locked by pushing down on the handle to engage the lock, the throttle is right there to push open for the take off.

Likewise the choke will be close to the throttle, in the 912 the choke requires the throttle be fully closed and not ‘cracked’ as it commonly is on 2 stroke Rotax’s and other engines.

We are certainly aiming for the VX-2 to have the stability and agility of the VX-1...and, that the variable incidence horizontal stab will adequately cope with the extra torque roll and propellor slipstream effect of the extra HP at throttle increase.

We were looking at the combination ASI/ALT from MGL as a standby instrument for the EFIS, until I happened to see the Kanardia offering.
This company produces some very interesting small size instruments and the presentation to my mind is better that that of the MGL instrument. Denis is looking at the dimensions for the pod and I may well choose this one.

When ordering the customer has the ASI markings done their spec.

Last edited: