Build on

Mike Hook

Aircraft
Dominator
Finally retired and finished my move to Navarre Fl. Shop is finished and now it is time to do what I have planned for so long. Laid out the 2x2 frame on shop floor, should have a rolling frame in a few weeks. I will post my progress as the build moves ahead. Anyone that spots mistakes or has ideas to offer please jump in.
Mike

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 9
I like the frame set up, but you might want to go with a redundant mast(2 1"x2")

Great Mike looking forward to your build thread.

Dominator so were designed to use a single 2x2 mast and if you change it it may cause a vibration problem , I have run into this problem before, if you are planning on changing anything you should call Ernie first.
If you build it the way it's supposed to be you will have a gyro that is the best performing, best handling and safest gyro on this planet and several other planets, in case you haven't guessed, I love my dominator .
Norm.

My bad, I learned something new

I'm with Norm on this. If you are building a dominator stick to the plans and listen to Ernie and you will have the best flying single seat gyro out there.

Mike, I don't know if you have the Dom. assembly manual which has this cradle jig for the Dom., makes it much easier to assemble frame. Double click to enlarge.

Attachments

• Scan_20160519.jpg
    Scan_20160519.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 5
Sounds like you need to visit the planet Australia mate and fly a 100hp rosco might make you change your mind about the best!!! hehe

wolfy

I am not impressed by a single place with 100 hp, a single place that has good performance with a 250 pound pilot with a 30 hp engine will impress me.
Norm.

Progress

Progress

Built the stand, and bolted the cluster plates on 2x2 frame. I think before I go futher I will paint frame before adding more parts. Had a bit of a time fitting up nose gear bearing plates in frame but finally got the fit I wanted.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 7
Wolfy
This will be a 100 hp gyro. I have a ea-81 on the bench. Will do the cam grind, ea-71 pistons and larger ea-82 intake. Have a redrive from Autoflight. Need to shop around for spring shocks.
Mike

Mike,
Are you going to use the standard frame for a 60" prop or are you going for a bigger prop?

I have the standard frame for the 60". Wish I had the taller tail and mast but I don't. My redrive is geared for the 60" too.

Looks like a good start.
Are you making everything or buying bolt on parts?

I am making new front keel, motor mount, and bracing. Will have to design all brackets for radiator, lights, radio and all the unforseens. I have some parts off a salvage gyro that I am picking thru. Found some nasty stuff. Bought a motor mount for the ea81 from Neil Heitz but it is going to need some welding for shock mounts and braces.

Last edited:
End of a good day, all bolts torqued in frame that stays in and a nice coat of Cat yellow. Tail and cowl will be Cat black metal flake. It should stand out.
Hey I can't help it, if you look in the window you will see my Friends of Coal sign.
Coals paid for all my fun and we had Cat equipment underground and on the surface.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 6
I am sorry about the 2X1 comment about the mast, it is a learning curve, but are you sure about the 60" prop? A 68"prop will give you way much more thrust. it looks like you have the clearance for a bigger prop. With the frame you have set up might as well go as big as you can

If Mike bought the assembly parts for a single seat Dom from Ernie, only a 60" will work.