Buckeye 582 overheating issue

bobisnext

Hi to all:

I have a Buckeye 582 (1999) that I've been flying for the last 7 years. It has about a 150 hours since I purchased it and it was torn down and at least partially rebuilt at that time . Since I live in Ohio I only fly an average of 15 or so flights per year at about a hour or so for each flight.I have had no issues with it Until a week or so ago when it over heated during warm up. The temperature usually goes up to about a 150 or so and then back down when the 140゚ thermostat opens. However this time it continued to climb to up to 190. I checked a radiator which I have never had any coolant loss at all and it was dry. I put coolant in and temperature returned to normal range 135. However there are no external leaks and I did not notice any steam or anything else coming out of the exhaust. Therefore it appears there's a internal leak somewhere and I plan on replacing the cylinder head rubber rings and cyl O rings to determine if that solves the problem.

Is this unusual for a engine that has a 150 hours maximum on it? Are there any other issues other than head rubber gaskets that would cause coolant to flow through the engine? The engine runs good otherwise. Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated thanks Bob

I think you MAY need to go to your Rotax manual and re-familiarize yourself with 582 spec's. Your temps you are quoting seem weird.
I looked. The bluehead 582UL99 has a normal range of 150 DegF to 175 DegF.

Hi bryan:

Thanks for getting back to me! I have a Gray head 1999 582. I have never had issues with overheating in the 7 years that I've been flying it. Somehow recently, Over a few weeks, all of the coolant has been lost out of the system with no external leaks. Once I refilled the system with coolant the temperature dropped back to the normal upper 130 range since it has a 140゚ thermostat. I'm going to replace the O rings around the cylinders and the other rings that are around the head and hope that solves it.

Not as of yet. I've taken the head off, and have ordered the O rings for the cylinders a d rubber gaskets for the heads

With the age and temp variations the engine goes through I would suspect crank seals. Check the intake manifold for cracks too.

I replaced cylinder ring and cyl head gaskets a few weeks ago and I think I have the cooling problem solved,but will need a few more flights to confirm but thanks