Bridgeport milling machine Re-grind

btd1982

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Home built helicopter
Total Flight Time
Decided to have my Milling machine slideways Re-ground. It's difficult to make accurate helicopter parts with worn slideways.
I used Unislide Grinding in the UK, it cost £1440 for the table, Saddle and Knee ways to be done but not the post as I didn't think it was necessary on my machine
They welded the holes in the table and ground all sides of it so it looks very nice, the Gib's have a layer of something added to compensate for the material removed.
I was very reluctant to take my milling machine apart to have this done because it's such a useful tool but very glad I did.
As it was apart I cleared all the lube holes of grease (someone had used grease instead of way oil) and I'm going to modify a grease gun to inject way oil through the grease nipple type fittings. Looking forward to making some more rotor parts and seeing how much better it is!

Attachments

• rotary wing milling 2.JPG
    rotary wing milling 2.JPG
    45.8 KB · Views: 24
  • rotary wing milling.JPG
    rotary wing milling.JPG
    53.2 KB · Views: 24

rcflier

Aircraft
Auto-Gyro MTO Sport 914
Total Flight Time
30+
I have a Deckel FP2 - they are also often full of grease instead of oil that creeps down.
No one does RTFM, before they grab the ol' grease gun.

btd1982

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Home built helicopter
Total Flight Time
I've not used a Deckel Fp2, are they good machines? Yes it's a shame some people don't read the manual, as I'm sure your aware grease attracts grit and swarf and turns it into a lapping paste perfect for advanced wear. The manufacturers could have used a fitting other than the one everybody associates with grease.