Brian's Genesis G1sa Build

willisbr

Aircraft
Maule MT7-235; RAF 2000 (sold)
I received my hardware and round tubing shipment today and did a full inventory. Then I cut the main angle round tubing to size and drilled some holes. I also fabricated the tube inserts to strengthen the them under load. Lastly, I made another rudder pedal support tube. The first one had a mismeasured hole. Cleaned shop.

John and Nicolas emailed me and Gary today. The kits have cleared customs with no problems. John is working on making a special box to repackage everything for ground transport.

Good night.

Attachments

willisbr

Aircraft
John has been working his tail off trying to get this ground shipment thing done. Custom made boxes, pallets, shrink wrap, burly/sweaty delivery truckers, insurance rates...good grief! Thanks John for your efforts. I see an opportunity to develop contracts in the future with a shipper and broker in the future if they do us right. Ironing out the kinks at this time.

Latest and greatest...trying to figure out why I thought I would need two left rudder pedals. Hmm...I can't think of a reason. Guess I'll have to toss one and make a right one. Oops. First deposit into the bucket of damn. Have a great day all. :)

Oh and Todd helped me change the title to my thread so it received appropriate traffic and made sense. Thanks Todd!

GaryMac

Aircraft
Building a Genesis G1sa
Total Flight Time
Yep, it's official. If you have a scrap bucket, then you have a project.

I had to order more aluminum from aircraft spruce, cause I messed up on a rudder pedal, too.

A few kinks and hurdles are needed to get things started, but I bet that we will both be building like mad men by next week.

Good luck with your build.

Gary

willisbr

Aircraft
Gary, I needed more angle. Nicolas split 2x2 for the angle an I suppose he used a table saw with a jig or guide. Sound right? What did you do? I don't have a table saw and doubt I will buy one.

You're right...it's gonna be crazy next week! Coming down to the wire. John has been emailing me more than these prescription pill scam sites this week. Good stuff :)

WHY

Gold Member
Aircraft
Ercoupe and Cessna 150, 152, 172, 140, Aeronca,7ac, Citabria,Chief,Piper PA11,PA12
Total Flight Time
If you have a SCRAP PILE then you hold a degree in "advanced experimenting"

Tony

GaryMac

Aircraft
Building a Genesis G1sa
Total Flight Time
Hey, Brian,

I just ordered 1x1 6061T6 angle... it's a little wider than the original parts that Nicolas sent, but worked fine for the pieces that I messed up. Just make sure you account for the difference in size from the original pieces, when laying out any holes to be drilled.

I went ahead and ordered some 2x2 tubing, and some various sizes of angle, all because I know somewhere down the road I will need it, and because I needed some stuff to work on for the engine mount.

willisbr

Aircraft
Great idea Gary. I'll do that this week. Either I need a better set of drill bits or work on my method. When I punch where I'm going to drill, the bit wanders or bends a bit and I occasionally end up with a hole a little off. My punches are precise...the final sucks. The drill press isn't the best but it isn't the worse. What's the secret? Since, I've been using a hand drill to start the hole or go all the way through with a pilot hole. So what's the point of a drill press? Need some advice. Thanks.

GaryMac

Aircraft
Building a Genesis G1sa
Total Flight Time
I'm no expert, but the bits I'm using are "pilot point tips" from DeWalt. Use a center punch to mark your spot, then line up the pilot point tip right in the center punch mark. By using light pressure on the drill press to start with, my holes are coming out OK. I think the trick is to just go slow, with light pressure.

I'm sure someone with more experience can give you a better answer than me, but so far, so good with this method.

Here's some pics of the bits I'm using....

Last edited:

JEFF TIPTON

Aircraft
Grumman AA5
Total Flight Time
Brian you could use a smaller bit to make a pilot hole and then use the final size.

Lee Scatt

Crash-test pilot
Aircraft
Bensen/BMW R-1100 (under construction)
Total Flight Time
500+
Hey Brian, By all means invest in quality bits. The aggravation you avoid in the long is worth it.
I have had great results predrilling all holes with a 1/8" bit. It will usually start right in the punch mark.
The press is used for the final, for you want it to be square thru.
Don't scrap that rudder pedal, the next Genesis builder can use it!

GaryMac

Aircraft
Building a Genesis G1sa
Total Flight Time
One final thought... if your drill press is new, you have to go through a "true up" where you check the table versus drill to make sure everything is square.

I bought my press just for this project, and luckily it was square both ways. I re-check it every now and then, just to make sure the table has gone out of whack versus the drilling head.

All_In

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Piper Archer, Aviomania G1sb
Total Flight Time
Not sure over 10,000+ logged FW, 260+ ultralights, sailplane, hang-gliders
Yo Brian and Gary!
It is about to get much more fun as it's repacked, and strapped to pallets.

I have to admit I never gave credit to packing people. I have so much more experience unpacking things I buy and never thought about all it takes to ship large items.

Here is a very bad cell phone picture of my handiwork as a packer.

Attachments

ynot

Learning Member
Total Flight Time
Not enough
Holes

Holes

Brian,

Just to add 2 cents to the accurate hole problem. I use a center drill to first drill the pilot hole. They won't flex like most small drill bits. You can get them at most machining supply houses such as Enco or Victor Machinery.

Here is what they look like and you can get them in various sizes.

Attachments

Mark E

Total Flight Time
A total of about 60 minutes dual hangin onto a stick in Cessna, a glider, and a gyrocopter.
Hi tech solutions are best - but I once helped a friend (machinist) drilling a huge amount of holes in some aluminium brackets, using a very shoddy drill press we had. My attempts at precise clamping always caused wandering as the press flexed.

He just set the clamp jaws very loose, allowing some movement in the work piece, and the drill tip simply stayed in the punch hole. He just kept dropping them in there, the drill centred the piece, and he churned out thousands in no time.

willisbr

Aircraft
Got another two hours in the shop tonight. I received my tires and wheels today. The wheels call for a few drilled holes and installing drums. Not too difficult. I escaped the night with relitively clean hands.

I also received the 2.62 gear swap for my E box. They look great. There's a bit of grit and gum inside the front plate. While I have the box apart, I want to go ahead and clean it up before I reseal and fill with oil. Can someone advise the proper way to clean the gear box internals? Thanks!

Nicolas, I got my 2.62! :)

Good night all.

Attachments

Earthboundmisft

The 'FIXER'
Satellite Beach, (Sea Park),(Original 'Lums Bums'
Aircraft
The 'MISSFIT' gyro, GRAND CHAMPION, Bensen Days 2010
Total Flight Time
700 F/W, 227 Gyro
Brian, use spray brake cleaner from Autozone. Carb cleaner works great too, but is more agressive. What are you going to do with the RAF once the hot-rod is done?

Hope the engine doesn't freeze up from sitting...:boink:

willisbr

Aircraft
Thanks mike. Just spray and re-fill right? No grease?

Keep RAF for CC and flying the fam.

Aviomania

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Gyros, Airoplanes, Gliders, Motorgliders, Trikes, Microlights
Total Flight Time
3000+
Good Brian!!!! now you will get all the performance out of this 582!!!!