Brave New World

I think it would be virtually impossible to ride this thing if it didn't have rate gyros and a microprocessor for motor control to stabilize it. My guess is that the weight shifting is just used for changing the attitude to move in the desired direction.

You are possibly right mate but after watching another video where he was trying to teach someone to fly it, he had them hanging from a rope but it did not look stabilized at all :).

wolfy

Quote: it did not look stabilized at all /Quote
This is what I look like when I'm on a skateboard, the board is pretty stable on its four wheels but I wobble and rather sooner than later I drop....;-)

Yesterday I was on a 2 lane highway and from the other direction comes a single wheel unicycle type electric "thing" going about 30mph

Rider was perched on the seat and looked relaxed as hell.

If I had not seen it with my own eyes I would not have believed it.

Amazed at the height the pilot is willing to go to, but I guess if you are willing to ride a meat grinder you're probably not concerned about the height.

This seems like a common engineering problem. If you distribute the lift between several motors and the failure probability for a single motor is low enough the probability of an accident can be made as low as for any other type of aircraft. One noteworthy point is, that electric motors are able to deliver a peak power 2 to 5 times greater than continuous power. If that is only for a short time it would very likely still be sufficient to ensure a safe emergency landing, since if some motors fail, the others can take over.

At about 6:50 in the film below you can see how a damaged quadcopter is able to still fly if a damage flight mode is activated:
https://www.ted.com/talks/raffaello...tic_power_of_quadcopters?language=en#t-434816

Last edited: