Boston to San Diego in a gyro.

ckurz7000

Aircraft
ArrowCopter
John, I can't tell you enough how fortunate I am to be a member of such a great bunch of guys as found on this forum. Thanks a lot to you for offering your help, I'll probably take you up on it, too. So beware what kind of things you offer! :)

Anyhow, I posted my route earlier in this thread (post #40 it was, I think). If anobody wants to meet up or tag along for a bit, please send me a PM with your email and some contact info. It would be great to meet as many of you as possible on our trip.

Cheers, -- Chris.

All_In

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Piper Archer, Aviomania G1sb
Total Flight Time
Not sure over 10,000+ logged FW, 260+ ultralights, sailplane, hang-gliders
Yaw Mon, that would be great a group fly along! Take pictures!!
No worries, my brothers shop is small, he's semi-retired, but he's has years of experience and lots of tools!!! We can do IT!

All rotorheads who wish to play Sign up here and I'll aleart the media as your trip progress! Actually maybe I'll beg Rob (FiveBoy) to issue press releases as he's a pro, good friend, and a doer!!!

route66

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
c-182/ RAF AAI Mod.
Total Flight Time
Chris, Give me a little heads up on what I can help you with at Flagstaff, Williams or Valley. I also have good friends at Holbrook, Winslow and Meteor Crater that will assist if you need. I also have a few Grand Canyon Railway tickets from Williams to the Grand Canyon if you want to take a break from flying to relax and see the Canyon if you would like. It is a big rush to fly over though. Let me know how I can help and I'll do my best. Looking forward to your adventure.

Brandon
[email protected]

ckurz7000

Aircraft
ArrowCopter
Brandon,

I can't tell you how much I appreciate your help. You know, when you're thousands of miles away from your home base and have to rely on everything working pretty much as advertised because you don't have access to all the resources available at your home field, it's a great consolation to know that you can count on help if you need it.

I'll email you my mobile number as soon as I got one in the US. That's probably the best way to stay in touch and coordinate. As already mentioned, I will post my progress here in this thread also.

Thanks, -- Chris.

ckurz7000

Aircraft
ArrowCopter
The day before the Day.

The day before the Day.

So this is the day before The Day! Tomorrow, 6:30 am we'll drive to the airport in Vienna and take off toward Boston.

Of course, my mind circles around possible items I could have possibly forgotten. According to my checklist, everything should be alright. Here's a picture of all the stuff I am taking for 4 weeks.

As you cen see, there's all the usual stuff: some clothes to change, quite a few documents for the two gyros, logbooks, some gadgetry, the GPS and my helmet, and last but not least: a small red and white checkered cushion to rest my behind comfortably on those long legs in the gyro. Experience has told me that this is essential for creature comfort.

Robert will have a small laptop, a small printer, some stuff to prepare homeopathic remedies in the field (mortar, pestil, lactose, ethanol, assorted boxes, etc.) along, too. The laptop is so that we can stay in touch with the world, and the printer is to print out our maps from Jeppesen's FliteMap along the way. We insert those into our knee boards and thus avoid handling unwieldy paper charts (which we will carry anyway for legal purposes and flight planning).

Here is a picture after I packed everything:

There's a medium sized backpack which goes on the rear seat of the MT03 and a small backpack underneath my legs in the front. The black bag is going to be installed underneath the rear seat. It is removable and at the moment holds my helmet.

All in all, the baggage weighs in at 15 kg.

We'll arrive in Boston at 3 pm, pick up a rental car and drive to Lawrence, MA, to check into our hotel. Apart from a couple of beers and some relaxation, that'll be pretty much it for Friday. Saturday and Sunday will be devoted to assembling our gyros at the airport in Lawrence (LWM). They came in a 20' container, pretty heavily disassembled. "Akoschier" (on this forum) has kindly offered some hangar space and tools so that we can unload and get on our way.

That's it for now. I think I'll just continue to post in this thread. There will be an external link where you can see the live GPS track of our flight so that you can follow along.

I guess you can tell that we're pretty excited.

See yall there! -- Chris.

Resasi

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Gyrs, RAF 2000/Mgni/Bnsn/Hrnet/Mrlin/Crckt/MT-03/Lyzlle AV18-A/Prdtor. Pax ArrowCopter
Total Flight Time
100+ gyro, 16,000+ other
Chris, it is a privilege to be able to come along on such an adventure as yours. I am sure many have dreamed of taking a long journey like this.
Mine to fly down to Kenya from Europe.

It is eyeopening to see what is a practical amount to take. We tend to lose sight of our limited weight carrying ability.

Yes a place such as the Forum, and the ability to network with people who understand share a common passion and will reach out to help and assist, invaluable in such an enterprise.

There has been a lot of preparation, I and many other will be hoping that all goes smoothly and according to plan. And when Murphy shows up as he so often does, that he can be dealt with swiftly.

Good luck Fair winds and Bon Voyage.

John will take great care of you.

All_In

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
This is very exciting!

Do we have your schedule Chris?

PRA has it’s publicist / PR man Rob = Fiveson notifying the media along your route but we need to know in advance as to your arrival times at each airport.

Last edited:

Udi

Platinum Member
Have a great trip, Chris! I am going to follow your progress closely. Are you going to post a daily travel journal on this forum? Wow - you are going to have so much fun. Some of the country you are going to fly over is breath taking - especially from NM to AZ. I am sorry I can't join you for part of the trip.

Good luck!

Udi

ckurz7000

Aircraft
ArrowCopter
This is very exciting!

Do we have your schedule Chris?

PRA has it’s publicist / PR man Rob = Fiveson notifying the media along your route but we need to know in advance as to your arrival times at each airport.

Regarding a scheduled arrival time at each stop: I'll post my schedule here as soon as I know it. This will probably be 1-2 days in advance of our arrival there. I hope this is enough lead time because it's going to be tough to adhere to a strict schedule when weather and conditions change.

Greetings, -- Chris.

All_In

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
Regarding a scheduled arrival time at each stop: I'll post my schedule here as soon as I know it. This will probably be 1-2 days in advance of our arrival there. I hope this is enough lead time because it's going to be tough to adhere to a strict schedule when weather and conditions change.

Greetings, -- Chris.
Yep, Rob is very good at all this stuff! Thanks Chris you really are going to make this fun for all of us!!!!

ckurz7000

Aircraft
ArrowCopter
Have a great trip, Chris! I am going to follow your progress closely. Are you going to post a daily travel journal on this forum? Wow - you are going to have so much fun. Some of the country you are going to fly over is breath taking - especially from NM to AZ. I am sorry I can't join you for part of the trip.

Good luck!

Udi

Hi Udi!

Yes, I will post a travelog to this thread. There will be an external site, too (www.remedia.at/homeopathy/gyrocopter.html), which also shows a live GPS-track. Since this company is sponsoring this trip, I may have to post only there. We'll see.

BTW, where in Colorado are you located? We are stopping over in Colorado Springs before turning south towards the Raton pass.

Greetings, -- Chris.

ckurz7000

Aircraft
ArrowCopter
On a totally different tack:

As mentioned before, Robert and I will be gathering new source material for homeopathic remedies. One such source material out of which we'd like to make a new homeopathic remedy is sperm of a buffalo or bull. They do artificial insemination, so bull's sperm ought to be available in somebody's freezer. Though I realize that our gyro community might not be the right group to pose this question to, it can't hurt to ask. Any ideas?

-- Chris.

P.S.: I did contact the National Bison Association, but no luck so far.

Resasi

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Gyrs, RAF 2000/Mgni/Bnsn/Hrnet/Mrlin/Crckt/MT-03/Lyzlle AV18-A/Prdtor. Pax ArrowCopter
Total Flight Time
100+ gyro, 16,000+ other
And this would be a remedy for...??:noidea:

All_In

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
Sorry, I've never Pimped anything before, so I can't help with the buffalo sperm!

Chris I know you probably over whelmed getting ready but could we have your proposed itinerary, I know it may change. But if we know all your proposed stops now we can get the email of all the media in the area today and then use your GPS track in the link you posted to notify them as you actual time of arrival?

route66

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
c-182/ RAF AAI Mod.
Total Flight Time
Chris, I am a member of the National Bison Association and raise Bison. I don't know anyone in the states who are artificial inseminating or have access to sperm. I'll contact the home office and see what I can find for you. There was a guy in New Mexico who was talking about setting up a trial program although I think he gave up on the idea. The Turner Ranches in Wyoming were also testing the procedure and maybe are using it in their program. I'll let you know what I find.

ckurz7000

Aircraft
ArrowCopter
Sorry, I've never Pimped anything before, so I can't help with the buffalo sperm!

Chris I know you probably over whelmed getting ready but could we have your proposed itinerary, I know it may change. But if we know all your proposed stops now we can get the email of all the media in the area today and then use your GPS track in the link you posted to notify them as you actual time of arrival?

John, I'll get back to you on Friday or Saturday with an approximate itinerary. Thanks so much for your help, that's truly appreciated.

-- Chris.

route66

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
c-182/ RAF AAI Mod.
Total Flight Time
Try contacting John Painter at the Montosa Bison Ranch in Tres Piedras, New Mexico at [email protected] or phone (505) 770-7751. He might be able to help you.

ckurz7000

Aircraft
ArrowCopter
Chris, I am a member of the National Bison Association and raise Bison. I don't know anyone in the states who are artificial inseminating or have access to sperm. I'll contact the home office and see what I can find for you. There was a guy in New Mexico who was talking about setting up a trial program although I think he gave up on the idea. The Turner Ranches in Wyoming were also testing the procedure and maybe are using it in their program. I'll let you know what I find.

That's great! I'd be happy for any information you can get. Right now it sounds as if we'd have to settle for boring cows instead of exciting buffalos :)

As to the question what the remedy would be for:

Strictly speaking this is decided by a double blind trial where a group of people receives the remedy (diluted and processed, of course) in rising doses until symptoms occur. Those are then recorded and used to formulate a spectrum of complaints against which the remedy may be used.

So "Bull's Sperm forte" my be against premature balding, slacking libido, lose bowels or migraine headaches. We simply don't know yet. If the source itself has some kind of bearing on the set of complaints, this might turn out to be a very interesting remedy....

-- Chris.

Udi

Platinum Member
Chris, I am located in Northern CO, about 2 hours N of CO Springs. When you publish your ETA for the Springs, I can try and plan something. That would be a good opportunity for me to visit our Springs rotor heads as well. Let me know if you need some water for injection or other lab supplies for your homeopathic concoctions. I can arrange that.

Udi

ckurz7000

Aircraft
ArrowCopter
Arrival in Boston

Arrival in Boston

Day 0 – Arrival in Boston

After a long night of saying good by to friends and family, we had to get up early today to be at the airport in Vienna so that we could reserve some halfway decent seats to accomodate our size (both of us are about 6´4“). The flight left Vienna at 9:30 for Boston via Amsterdam.

The first picture shows Robert in Amsterdam where he used every spare minute to prepare his website so that we could simply upload our travelogs. No matter how ingenious those small laptop thingies are, a grown man looks kind of silly balancing one of those on his knees while gingerly tapping on the keyboard with oversized fingers. Well, somehow Robert must have achieved his goal or else you wouldn´t be reading this.

The flight to Boston lasted 8 long hours. After 4 hours I checked my watch and noticed that only 30 minutes had elapsed. That´s how subjective perception and reality can sometimes diverge... So much the more excited I was when we finally touched down at Boston Logan. It reminded me of my time as a student in Boston and conjured up fond memories. The weather was great with temps in the mid 70ies and puffy Cbs in the sky. We kind of regretted not being able to jump right into our gyros and go for quick ride.

Here I am with all our belongings minding and guarding them assiduously.

After we picked up our rental car, we drove about 30 miles north to Methuen, where we checked into a motel. The motel was great, mostly because it was only a couple of miles from the Lawrence airport (KLWM). The next three pictures are driving impressions of Boston on our way from the airport to Methuen.

The Sumner Tunnel driving into Boston from Logan Airport:

Tobin Bridge:

A one handed shot out the window and over the top toward Boston:

The time difference of 6 hours finally hit us hard after a big meal of New England clam chowder, steak tips and several local beers. I was pissed at my watch, which stubbornly resisted changing to the local East Coast time. It´s one of those radio watches which synchronize automatically.

Tomorrow at 8:30 our gyros are supposed to arrive at the airport in a container. So the entire Saturday is devoted to unloading and assembling them. Maybe we get a chance for a quick check flight, who knows...

Greetings, -- Chris.

P.S.: You can also see the live GPS track (once we´re airborne) and our travelogs on http://www.remedia.at, if you click on the small gyro picture near the top right. If you click on the English flag you should be all set.