Bolts n Nuts

Udi

Platinum Member
Brian - the first time I asked for the certificate, Wicks just faxed it to me with no charge. The second time I asked for it, they wanted me to pay for it, I don't remember how much. Also at Aircraft Spruce they would charge you for this "service".

In the case of the spindle bolt, I also took the bolt to a local aircraft engine shop and had the bolt magnafulxed. The people in the shop thought I had a loose screw (no pun intended) because, as they say, all AN hardware is magnafluxed by the manufacturer. I don't know if this is true. In any case they also didn't charge me because I had only one bolt...

Chuck B. believes that every life-suspending bolt should be magnafluxed (there are 4 in most gyros).

Udi

Last edited:

Brian Jackson

Platinum Member
Aircraft
GyroBee Variant - Under Construction
Udi said:
Brian - the first time I asked for the certificate, Wicks just faxed it to me with no charge. The second time I asked for it, they wanted me to pay for it, I don't remember how much. Also at Aircraft Spruce they would charge you for this "service".

In the case of the spindle bolt, I also took the bolt to a local aircraft engine shop and had the bolt magnafulxed. The people in the shop thought I had a loose screw (no pun intended) because, as they say, all AN hardware is magnafluxed by the manufacturer. I don't know if this is true. In any case they also didn't charge me because I had only one bolt...

Chuck B. believes that every life-suspending bolt should be magnafluxed (there are 4 in most gyros).

Udi
Words of wisdom, Udi.
Sometimes I think my family thinks I've a screw loose as well (likewise, no pun). But in the knowledge that AN specs have been deregulated, am I understanding correctly that AN manufacturers no longer are required by law to maintain strict adherence to checking standards? In other words it's perfectly legal to manufacture sub-standard components as long as its documented? I believe most manufacturers are honest, and truly desire to be the best source for their discipline. But human nature dictates there will be those whom place profits over prudence.

Udi, since ALL gyro pilots are quite literally trusting their lives to a single bolt, whom would you suggest this bolt be inspected by? Peace of mind is worth money provided the data is accurate.

Thanks,
Brian Jackson

Udi

Platinum Member
RotoPix said:
...But in the knowledge that AN specs have been deregulated, am I understanding correctly that AN manufacturers no longer are required by law to maintain strict adherence to checking standards? In other words it's perfectly legal to manufacture sub-standard components as long as its documented?

No. "AN" is a standard. A manufacturer cannot legally sell hardware as AN unless it meets the AN specifications. A manufacturer that makes sub-standard AN hardware in the US will find himself behind bars as soon as the first aircraft makes a smoky hole in the ground as a result of that defective part.

Call your local FBO and ask who can magnaflux your bolts. They would know.

Udi