Bolt supplier of oddball threads?

Brian Jackson

Platinum Member
Aircraft
GyroBee Variant - Under Construction
Greetings all.

Thought someone here might know of a supplier of bolts or rod with an M16-1.25 thread. No luck on Google. I am replacing the aluminum clevis in the landing gear shocks with a steel plug that I'd intended to make from a bolt. But upon measuring the male thread of the discarded clevis with a thread gage, it's a non-standard size/pitch. I am able to find die cutters of this spec but would prefer (ideally) to find an existing bolt that has rolled threads instead of cut threads due to the added strength that rolled threads provide.

Has anyone dealt with this before? The shocks are aftermarket ATV if that helps. Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Brian

Tyger

Aircraft
Magni M16
Total Flight Time
I believe 1.5 is considered "fine" thread for M16 bolts. Yours would be super-fine, I guess. Seems like that's going to be a custom item...

MilesW

Aircraft
Sportcopter M912
Total Flight Time
1400+ Gyro
Greetings all.

Thought someone here might know of a supplier of bolts or rod with an M16-1.25 thread. No luck on Google. I am replacing the aluminum clevis in the landing gear shocks with a steel plug that I'd intended to make from a bolt. But upon measuring the male thread of the discarded clevis with a thread gage, it's a non-standard size/pitch. I am able to find die cutters of this spec but would prefer (ideally) to find an existing bolt that has rolled threads instead of cut threads due to the added strength that rolled threads provide.

Has anyone dealt with this before? The shocks are aftermarket ATV if that helps. Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Brian
Brian

You will struggle to find a commercial bolt in this thread (maybe even impossible) even in the land of plenty, but is not uncommon for auto and particularly motorcycle parts. Look for a scooter axle or shock absorber with male threaded end you could cut off. Alternatively, cut the thread. I doubt your gyro will know the difference between cut and rolled. If you ever test it to destruction, you'll have far bigger problems to worry about :)

Miles

Brian Jackson

Platinum Member
Aircraft
Thanks guys. Every other part on this ship has been custom so why stop now I guess? Yes, fruitless search, so ended up ordering a die cutter I was able to locate of that particular thread. As you mentioned, Miles, using the cut-off end of the clevis was tempting, but these are aluminum and the pull-out strength of the internal 5/16-24 thread was concerning. The part is basically an adapter tube threaded inside and out. The outer 'oddball' thread would have been fine (forgive the pun) but internally I really need a steel-to-steel engagement. So will be making these from rod. There are no shortcuts.

Burrengyro

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
ELA07S and Montgomerie Bensen (project)
Total Flight Time
Thanks guys. Every other part on this ship has been custom so why stop now I guess? Yes, fruitless search, so ended up ordering a die cutter I was able to locate of that particular thread. As you mentioned, Miles, using the cut-off end of the clevis was tempting, but these are aluminum and the pull-out strength of the internal 5/16-24 thread was concerning. The part is basically an adapter tube threaded inside and out. The outer 'oddball' thread would have been fine (forgive the pun) but internally I really need a steel-to-steel engagement. So will be making these from rod. There are no shortcuts.
Hi Brian,
Try Unbrako USA. They might have what you need. John H.

Brian Jackson

Platinum Member
Aircraft
Hi Brian,
Try Unbrako USA. They might have what you need. John H.
Thanks, John. Nice site, bookmarked for later but no love there for that particular thread. I appreciate the suggestion though. One advantage I learned of the die cutter (round type) is that it's diameter is adjustable with a set screw. The threads of the male clevis felt loose inside the shock. This way the exact diameter can be dialed in and test-fit.

Brian