Blade weight

I inherited my fathers tractor gyro and he had purchased rotor blades from a location that made them in North Carolina. They look great but are heavy. I mentioned to others at an event I wanted to sell them and buy lighter blades and people didn't seem to approve my idea. They briefly mentioned the heavier blades have more momentum etc etc. but the thing is, I can't pick the blades up myself in order to transport them. I always have to have a second person with me and at times this has caused issues like when I need to load/unload at home.

I'm still interested in some of the lighter blades and was wondering what the general thought is.

The gryo has a 582 on it and I feel the lighter blades would also be less overall went of the machine as well.

I inherited my fathers tractor gyro and he had purchased rotor blades from a location that made them in North Carolina. They look great but are heavy. I mentioned to others at an event I wanted to sell them and buy lighter blades and people didn't seem to approve my idea. They briefly mentioned the heavier blades have more momentum etc etc. but the thing is, I can't pick the blades up myself in order to transport them. I always have to have a second person with me and at times this has caused issues like when I need to load/unload at home.

I'm still interested in some of the lighter blades and was wondering what the general thought is.

The gryo has a 582 on it and I feel the lighter blades would also be less overall went of the machine as well.
What is the AUW of the machine and your weight?

My 24' Razor blades are about 80lbs with hub bar. I have a crane like lift on my trailer that I use to get them on and off. If I'm moving I take them apart and handle each half and hub bar separately.

He flew it a few months before his passing about 10ft off the ground down the runway and landed. He stated the engine needed to be moved forward and needed a bit more rudder authority. He cut out the new motor plates and were sitting beside the machine to be installed when he past and I finished installing them. I have an idea about the rudder but I'll make another topic for it soon.

I will be going to the Carolina Barnstormers gathering later this month for static display. I have not had the training to attempt to fly it.

Mike….. your dad also went with those blades because they were stiffer, and he had less of a chance of hitting his tail

Bobby,
Your blades are 53.79 pounds complete.
(Time for a new scale!) :cool:

I was going to say. Averso Stella 28.4 foot rotor set for 1232 pounds gross weight AR-1 are 87 pounds. I was thinking Dennis started using steel on his blades or something.

well.. my dad had a tendency to fly off a grass strip that had a hump in the middle that caused him to blade flap and destroy quite a few sets of blades :p And he carried that over from his LW3 which had a longer and taller tail

Interesting numbers. The three blades on an A&S18A are about 55 pounds each , not counting the head.

Heavy blades are a mixed blessing. They hold RPM better than light ones when (temporarily) unloaded. They don't respond as quickly to control inputs. This latter trait takes getting used to in landing flares; you must plan ahead and not try to flare at the last split second.

There are tricks to mounting heavy rotors. Some flyers mount a little crane on their trailers, as already mentioned. You can also park your car or truck behind your gyro and rest one end of the rotor on the tailgate or roof (with padding). This allows you to lift less than the whole weight of the rotor when mounting the blades.

The shortage of tail power makes sense. The rudder is small but, perhaps just as important, the windshield deflects the passing air outward, creating turbulence in and behind the pilot's seat (like you find behind a semi on the Interstate).

Few gyro designers bother with a tapering fairing behind the pilot, but it's at least as effective in reducing drag as a nose cone.

I am considering putting a dual rudder system on the gryo for that reason, something I wanted to talk to people about during the gathering later this week at Barry's

I am considering putting a dual rudder system on the gryo for that reason, something I wanted to talk to people about during the gathering later this week at Barry's
One of the things I particularly like about the Xenon and its derivatives is its rudder authority with the two widely spaced rudders.

On the other had one of the things I like about the American Ranger is its rudder authority with its single articulated rudder.

Sorry about your dad's passing, he was a customer of mine and a pleasure to talk to.

Those blades were known as Rotorhawk blades and were manufactured by the late Neal Carnes of Fort Wayne, Indiana. I believe neal's widow sold the business to Tony of Phoenix. They are heavy blades. Neal made the traditional blades and then switched to extruded.

Anthony was the person who made the phoenix blades they are 33.3 lbs each. 8.5lbs hub bar in total 75 lbs. they are powere coated white with 8” cord.

Thank you for the note about my father, he is very much missed and i am here at barnstormers working on his gyro this weekend