Biden as a gyro mechanic

If only it would fit in his basement.

RE: In that photo of the Brock gyro in post #1, (N144MG) was constructed by Mark Givens, formerly of Antelope, CA, according to the FAA's aircraft registration files. It was certificated back in 1992. He apparently is the same fella who built N142MG, the Predator, now owned by Vance.

Can we assume that is Mark patting up his rotorblades (or slowing them down, since his finger tips look to be in front of the blade's leading edge...) in the photo? Anyone know him personally (Vance?) to say?
Edit: From the position of his arm & hand, as well as his wrist watch's face dial location, he appears to doing the former, rather than the latter...

Last edited:
Mark Givens pops in here from time to time. Perhaps we will get lucky and have your question answered.
You could send him a message.

Vance: Didn't you meet him when purchasing his creation?

Edit: Or, are you the 3rd, or more successive, owner of the Predator, & haven't yet met him in person?

I see he was last in here on the forum on Thursday evening (MarkG). Listed as still being in Mtn. View, AR. Last post was back in 2018.

Last edited:
I met Mark Givans several years after I purchased The Predator at Marysville at an EAA fly in and then he stopped by Santa Maria with his new wife about a year ago. He is a very nice, very knowledgeable gentleman. He first flew The Predator in 1999 and sold it to a friend of his around 2006. I purchased her in 2,007 with less than 200 hours. She is coming up on 2,200 flight hours.

Attachments

• 1s.jpg
    1s.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 31
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 31
So you could say if the slim gent in the photo in post #1 is him?
And, is that him in the backseat in your 1s. jpg photo?

In my opinion the person in the picture at El Mirage could be anyone Kevin.

The person in the back seat of The Predator in the picture is Sam Puma, a client who is even older than me, a flight surgeon and an Edward’s trained test pilot. As I recall he was born in 1937. He is wearing his flight suit from many years ago. I am proud to know him.

The picture was taken by Rene; A fighter pilot and flight instructor.

Being able to fly the Predator with you Vance is still a precious memory.

A lovely flying machine, and a great Instructor.

I used our story just yesterday as I transitioned a client into the front seat of The Predator to illustrate the importance of a good briefing and to never hurry aviation.

I did arrive late...but, had driven from LA, and the traffic hadn’t been kind.

You were great to have stayed on. Gave a very good brief.

It was a magic moment...or three.:) Even if I screwed up on the transmit button. That was me.

The mixture...hey we made it didn’t we. Got to always look on the bright side. 😁 Besides great engine out space all around.

Still think of the Predator as the ‘Dreadnought' of gryos...and a very sweet ground handling, air handling and landing machine.

Mark did a wonderful job.

It is a perfect example of why not to hurry aviation and why a through briefing is so important.
It is also a good example of how things can be compounded.
I prefer to tell stories that people will remember rather than just sharing what I believe.
I am proud to know you and value our friendship.
I don't use your name when I tell the story.

Kevin, Vance, Leigh,
Thank you!!
Original post was a nice historic gyro photo turned into a pointless political meme. (I don't care what side you are on)
You guys have have drifted the post to actually contain some interesting content and value to the forum!
Well done!
Denis

I like it that the guy in the picture, whoever he is, is patting the blades from the safe position. If you miss the blade, trip, or whatever, you fall across the front of ther machine, not into the prop. Also you are clear of the throttle and unlikely to bump it by accident.
Just sayin'....

What is it with the Necromancer posts lately?
This thread is 2 years old....