Beware...unfortunately

j4flyer

Guys unfortunately there are scammers everywhere including this forum. Some of you are probably aware that I posted a “wanted pusher prop “ in the wanted section. I was contacted via post informing me of a person parting out a Barnett with an included email address. I emailed the lead and a few days later received a reply.
The email was an acknowledgment that a pusher prop for an o-200 powered Barnett was still available. If I would pay a 100.00 bucks it would be shipped to me. The low price sent a red flag but, I’ve had people give me great deals because they had extra and wanted to help out. I emailed back a 100 would be great !
I received an immediate text (I provided my phone number for shipping) stating I should send the money “PayPal friends and family “ and to an email, not the one I was using but “his wife’s”. Since I have seen this scam before I asked what rotor system and diameter was he using on his Barnett as I trying to determine what brand and size I should buy. His reply was “What are you looking for ? “ I said information as I had no plans or paperwork. I also asked for a photo of the prop with a tape measure lying beside it to confirm dimensions. I’ve heard nothing since and didn’t expect to.
The original poster that messaged me via the post was called Newbie and had only joined in March. This was another red flag.
In conclusion be wary when dealing with anyone you don’t know. If they text but won’t speak on the phone, red flag.
No, I didn’t send nor did I intend to send money. PayPal friends and family offers no purchase protection. I won’t use the friends and family to make a purchase as it’s not ethical to cheat PayPal anymore than to cheat one of you guys.

Interesting?
I searched in Members section.
Newbie come up as
Monteverde, Fl 34756
Jack Ross
and does not appear to have ever posted

Some scammers start by hacking an existing user account, which makes them seem more legitimate. When I was actively looking for a Dynon unit, I posted wanted ads on a few forums, and got nothing but scammers. Typically they use one of the anonymous email services, unless they've hacked a legit account. Once you start asking for specific pictures, they usually go silent. One did send me a picture that looked like a screen capture, and I was able to find that picture in a Google search in 30 seconds from a completely unrelated site. Good job to the OP for catching it, and sending a reminder.
Rusty

The guy may have hacked Jack’s account. It said joined in March

Guys I was wrong on the name it is Jasonbill171 and listed as newbie.

Jasonbill171 has not posted any content recently and was last seen Monday at 12:12 AM.
He joined Mar 29, 2021 and has not posted anything.
Please let me know if there is a problem with any post or forum member and I will address it to the best of my ability.
I will not remove him from the Rotary Wing Forum unless you are certain he is a scammer.

Last edited:
Jasonbill171 has not posted any content recently and was last seen Monday at 12:12 AM.
He joined Mar 29, 2021 and has not posted anything.
Please let me know if there is a problem with any post or forum member and I will address it to the best of my ability.
I will not remove him from the Rotary Wing Forum unless you are certain he is a scammer.
This guy is sending private messages, targeting potential buyers. I recently inquired about Snobirds somewhere and he sent me a message that his friend had a kit to sell. I emailed the friend and could tell right off that he was a scammer based on his response to my questions, etc. He was asking for money right off the bat via PayPal, etc.

Thanks, shootthrees, for your additional input!
Awaiting response to my several questions from Jasonbill171 re: this situation.
If none received, then he/she/it loses their ability to post & possibly, being a forum member.

The forum software tracks ISPs of each member. It also shows other ISPs associated w/ each member if they use more than one, such as home, work, library, or a friend's ISP. If they create another member profile, the software shows the connection to other members using that same one.

That makes it easy to screen out the problem childs, once their MO is known.

Last edited:
I had a similar experience with Jasonbill171. He said a friend off his had a hub bar for a Hollman Sportster in mint condition.
I asked for some dimensions from his friend to verify fitment and the friend never responded.
So, I think that was a scam ,too.

Guys unfortunately there are scammers everywhere including this forum. Some of you are probably aware that I posted a “wanted pusher prop “ in the wanted section. I was contacted via post informing me of a person parting out a Barnett with an included email address. I emailed the lead and a few days later received a reply.
The email was an acknowledgment that a pusher prop for an o-200 powered Barnett was still available. If I would pay a 100.00 bucks it would be shipped to me. The low price sent a red flag but, I’ve had people give me great deals because they had extra and wanted to help out. I emailed back a 100 would be great !
I received an immediate text (I provided my phone number for shipping) stating I should send the money “PayPal friends and family “ and to an email, not the one I was using but “his wife’s”. Since I have seen this scam before I asked what rotor system and diameter was he using on his Barnett as I trying to determine what brand and size I should buy. His reply was “What are you looking for ? “ I said information as I had no plans or paperwork. I also asked for a photo of the prop with a tape measure lying beside it to confirm dimensions. I’ve heard nothing since and didn’t expect to.
The original poster that messaged me via the post was called Newbie and had only joined in March. This was another red flag.
In conclusion be wary when dealing with anyone you don’t know. If they text but won’t speak on the phone, red flag.
No, I didn’t send nor did I intend to send money. PayPal friends and family offers no purchase protection. I won’t use the friends and family to make a purchase as it’s not ethical to cheat PayPal anymore than to cheat one of you guys.
Yes it appears I may have encountered that as well. I posted needing a knob for a radio and got the response below. I reached out to the David and got immediate response. We came to terms on the part, and he requested payment through PayPal. I don‘t use PayPal so I setup an account because I have heard it is protected. While I was transferring money into the PayPal account David was continually emailing me that he was ready to send the part and a tracking number. The first account he gave me would not receive my payment, but the second one did. (Somehow I missed the red flags, and flashing lights). Now the money has been transferred for over a month and Davidstev197 no longer responds to me and neither does Michaellryan19. When I went to PayPal to get my money back I discovered the “Friends and Family“ is not protected. Guess I donated to a scammers college fund.
Monday at 7:24 PM
awesome, thanks
Contact David, he has a knob for an MGL V6 radio for sale in good condition, he’s a collector. Here’s his email [email protected]
Michael I could use your help. I have sent David money for the radio knob but he is no longer responding to me in regards to sending the part. Can you reach out to him and see if there is something wrong please?
Thanks.

If none received, then he/she/it loses their ability to post & possibly, being a forum member.
THEY
You forgot the pronoun they. You have to be thorough in this day and age.
The ISP thing is easily beaten btw, I would not rely on that.

How about, MGL, can they provide the knob?
I have sent them 2 messages via their website with no response. I submitted a ticket for a different issue with my Xtreme/EMS and they responded. I may try submitting a ticket for the knob as well.