Best rotor blades ?

MikeBoyette

Gold Member
Aircraft
Dominator
Total Flight Time
200+
Re:Best rotor blades ?

Dragon wings of course. Just kidding I would think to find out someone would have to one machine and try all the different makes on it. Obviously it would have to be with the same pilot, same size disk, and same weather conditions. I think a while back Matt Pearson did his own comparison between Sport Rotors and Dragon Wings. Maybe he can post his findings again. If anyone eklse has done this maybe they can post their findings. :)

MattPearson

Gold Supporter

I indeed initially had the new 23 ft Sport Rotors before I bought a set of 23ft DWs for Super Fly. The Sport Rotors were by far the smoothest blades I have ever flown, HOWEVER, the DW's gave better than 100 fpm increase in climb, 7 mph speed increase and would allow the gyro to fly at a slower minimum speed. The BIGGEST difference besides the fact that you can get the DW's immediately, is the overall "feel" of the DWs over the SCs. The DWs give instantaneous response and "feel" as though they are spring loaded. Just look at the video of the Monarch dropping in from over 10 feet!! They are so predictable in how they respond to pilot input
Jim Vaneks did not believe my findings and sent me another set of blades to try which he "tweaked" and also took out some tip weight, but it made no difference. I am now a DW fan for life!
Mike, any word about adding another degree of twist?

Aussie_Paul

A reforming stirrer!!!!!
Aircraft
None at the moment.
Total Flight Time
Since 1982 Gyro 5000+ mostly instructing, and approx. 200 fixed wing in the late 1960s.

Thanks for that comparison Matt. Very interesting, and backs up what most people say.

What I would like to see now is a genuine comparison of 30' blades on a 1200 lb gross machine. DW verses SC.

There is now a set of SC blades is Oz, 70 miles from me. The machine that they will be used on is quite some time from completion but hopefully one day I will get to try them against our Oz blades. I offered the builder Mark some free stick time if we could use his SC blades.

A project for down the track.

Aussie Paul.

Chuck Irby

Platinum Member
Aircraft
618 Dominator Single
Total Flight Time
60 solo

Matt,

Thanks a lot for your hands on comparison. That is very helpful.

Incidentally, the price of a set of 24' Sport Rotors is $2000.00 vs $1450 for the Dragon Wings.

In addition, to get the SR's, it'll take a minimum of 11 weeks, per Sport Copter. If I read Steven Kozned correctly, it may take much longer.

Like Matt said, the DW's are in stock, ready to ship.

Gyrobound

Scott Dutra
Aircraft
Working on it
Total Flight Time
None yet

WHo manufactures Dragon Wing Rotor Blades? I looked on the web under Dragon Wings and got a lot of game hits but not much other useful info.
Scott

joeheli

Aircraft
Bensen B8M with Mac 90

Gyrobound
Air Command International is the one who sell them.

Gyrobound

Scott Dutra
Aircraft
Working on it
Total Flight Time
None yet

I see on Air Commands web site that these come in 25 - 28 ft lengths but they also show a 29 foot blade. Do they come any longer?
Scott

Chuck Irby

Platinum Member
Aircraft
618 Dominator Single
Total Flight Time
60 solo

Hey Scott,

RFD does make a 29' set. Mike, Ernie's son, stated that in an earlier post.

What are you building Scott?

Gyrobound

Scott Dutra
Aircraft
Working on it
Total Flight Time
None yet

Hey, thanks Chuck, I'm not building anything right at the momnet but am very seriously thinking, looking at the finances, at the Sparrow Hawk. It has 30' blades though and I'm going to need all the lift I can get. I'm about 260+ so if I want to get any gas and, after training and 40 hours, passangers I need lift. 8)
Scott

Chuck Irby

Platinum Member
Aircraft
618 Dominator Single
Total Flight Time
60 solo

Hey Scott, you may need blades with an 8" or even 8.5" chord. I believe all DW's are 7". But you'll find out what you need once you really get involved with the SparrowHawk.

Caribean_gyro

Platinum Member
Aircraft
twinstar
Total Flight Time
500+

;D
guys just remember when we all started. We didnt have internet and we were just lazy to read books. WE have the same urge for information as Jose. The only problem is he has a keyboard and a DSL hook up.

I hope to call him down this weekend. Now as I told jose and will say it again lets start to walk then run. I have flown Jose machine. she has one of the oldest and most effective prerotator I have use. (dont change it!!) she just need Love and paint. I flew it with brand new Mccutchen blades. The last one sold by the factory.

I call the new owner but he said he is not making then due to cost margins. Any way at the rate the SC/RAF etc are going he could be there also.

Now I want to share what I found with my RAF.

After the recent incident I took them apart and check all bolts. All in perfect condition and no rust. I re aligned the blades, get them both to level at 0.00 balance and visually track in flight 1/2 inch. Here is the amazing thing. Vibration is way down hands of stick move max of 4 inches. 2 inches each side but the center of rotation when I measure it using telescopic gage agains the rotor head is 20 mils out.??

It should be moving and shaking like crazy but is not doing it. I will play omorrow with the shims to get it in center and see how it works.

on my next annual inspection I am going to cecnt the rotor centering in a CMM nachine I think rotation is not center in between of the rotor ears.
Chuck P