Best Practice/Amateur Build Logs for 51% Experimental.

Resasi

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Gyrs, RAF 2000/Mgni/Bnsn/Hrnet/Mrlin/Crckt/MT-03/Lyzlle AV18-A/Prdtor. GT-VX1&2, Pax ArrowCopter
Total Flight Time
100+ gyro, 16,000+ other
I feel that enough time time has passed since my son and I built our gyro, and now, for there to have been substantial progress in Logging and Documenting 51% build of kits. There are now quite sophisticated gyro’s being built in the US as kits, and there must be some established methods to have evolved in the documentation and proof that is presented for certification and approval by the FAA.

While the FAA does have its own checklist called the Amateur-Built Fabrication and Assembly Checklist 2009 found in FAA advisory circular, AC 20-27G. FAA's amateur-built website. There appears to be no standard/official form for builder records. The requirement is only that records are kept of the construction process. Records can be kept in a variety of formats, binders, pocket pages, or on the computer, the only criteria being readily available to the FAA Inspector for the final inspection and if necessary printable. The FAA is concerned with the tasks completed by the builder. Records should also be kept of commercial assistance paid for.

FAA Order 8130.2F, Chg. 4 recommends pictures be included in your records, especially pictures showing you actually working on the project. The purpose of the builder records is verifying that amateur builders did build the aircraft, so the FAA inspector/DAR welcome pictures of the applicants actually working on the project.

The EAA does have an online builders log in website for its members to upload and document compliance which appears to have a number of very good features, but I was simply wondering if there were now any commercially produced ones available?

I remember meeting Claudius Klimpt and his two sons at the Arrowcopter Factory in Austria when he was assembling the one he brought over to the US as a ‘Homebuild’. One was videoing him as he worked the other documented the complete process.

Abid seems to have successfully been converted from his flexwings and doing well with his venture, still grateful to him for the help I received when I occasionally popped over for some assistance on our Hornet. Flew with Gregg at Wauchula after he became an Instructor and was well impressed with his technique and see he is a partner there now. They seem to have a going business, but with any established procedures or just their own?

Last edited:
I am given to understand that Garth Hadlon gave a talk at Mentone on build logs, did anyone attend this, or can give me his contact please.