Best of Dominator Modifications Edypaul - Joe Pires

Joe Pires

star hoarder
Aircraft
Aviomania GS2.
Total Flight Time
600 ish solo gyro and 190 ish two place
Ed Lemoine and I love our Dominators. We could not imagine an aircraft for anywhere near the money that we would love flying as much as we do our Domi's. However there are a few modifications we have made over the last several years which makes our Dominators even more enjoyable and have expanded their capabilities. Most of them have been posted as we did them, we thought we would like to put them all in one place and include some sources.

The most recent was the remounting of the radiator to correct a problem that penguin spotted. He choose to mount his radiator as Roy Davis does on his machine. At Bensen Days we had the opportunity to look at Larry's mount and loved it so we emulated/copied it. I will post the pics and Edy will come on with narration in the following posts, since all the implementation was him. I just provided cold beverages while he worked.

We got the radiator at Amazon.com for $52.88.
Fastwayracer FW-RD-92CIVIC, Honda Civic Manual 2 Rows Aluminum Racing Radiator Half Size

Ed got a very heavy duty Adel Clamp and I used standard ones from Aircraft Spruce, with a rubber isolator.

If you like the rubber standoffs they came from Granger, and Edy will chime in with the dimension and thread description.
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/ecatalog/N-1z0dkv7

The second modification that we have done was to replace airshocks with standard coil over shocks. This was inspired by Scott Essex. The ones we used came off a Volkswagen. The rod ends were modified by Ed.

The shock modification has been included in a prior post but we would like to get them all together in one place.

The springs came from DT Product.com
http://www.dtproduct.com/motorcyclesaccerssories.html
I used the 8 inch and Edy used the 7.

The shocks came from here.
http://www.chircoestore.com/catalog...cts_id=2490&osCsid=qf0vpfee9ih6ebfmhu7553v0n7 THEY CHANGED THIS PAGE HERE IS THE ONES WE USED

https://chircoestore.com/adjustable-coil-over-shocks-all-rear-and-link-pin-front-pair.html

The shocks were 73.04 delivered with the "newmember" discount code.
The springs were 26.95 delivered.

So for a $100 bill, new suspension.

Ed did put the rod ends on and if your a good welder that's probably a good thing to do.

The next enhancement is to backup the tailboom bolt where it attaches to the mast. I broke one, Scott Lewis broke one, and I have heard of at least two others. Its a simple fix but adds greatly to my piece of mind.

The last enhancement was an auxiliary gas tank. I am referring to the one on the bottom. 7 Gallons is just not enough time for any kind of cross country. With the additional tank we have between 10 and 11 gallons. The small tank above holds another 1.7 gallons but is not usually required for our daily flying.

Here is a picture of the shocks using the 8 inch spring.

Here is the replacement steel braces for the seat support.

and the Behemoth bracket that solved my pre-rotater problems.

Last edited:
Excellent info, Joe. How much will Ed be selling the external tanks for? What are the dimensions for the radiator? I found it on Amazon but it doesn't have the dimensions on the listing.

Last edited:
Wow! Once again Ed puts me to shame. A terrific choice for the radiator, Ed.
Joe - I never did hear the results of your hang tests with the additional fuel tank. ?

Nicely done guys.
I have a similar radiator in the hangar,
just have to find the time to install it.
Looking at the shock photo, the spring looks too soft.
Seems to be very near coil bind.
Although, that could act as a travel limiter...
Factoring the geometry, perhaps you have ample travel?

Mike is right. Was going to PM you about it.
I think you are using the stock dune buggy springs which are about 75#.
I use 135# springs on mine and see 1" of shock travel which is 2" of wheel travel.

Hi Joe
Great idea for a thread in one place. It should help all that follow.

I like the fuel on board, what is the range?

Also I like the radiator, been looking for one for the Genesis.
How do you fill it all the way up?
Is there a picture of an expansion chamber you use to fill the system it looks like the angle would allow an air gap if filled through the cap?

Last edited:
I have been thinkin', bout the 14 gallon that Gyrojake has.
Back seat on my Dom?
21 gallon total onboard! Hmmm!
have any of y'all considered this as an option?

According to another website, the dimensions for the radiator are as follows:

Specifications:

Radiator:

* Brand new civic/del sol aluminum radiator.Made of grade-A light weight aluminum.

* Direct bolt on without any modification.
* Increase 30%-40% cooling than OEM radiator,handles high revving motor.

* Size: Core size: 14.25''X 13.75''X 2.0''

Full size: 14.25''X 16.5''X 2.0''

Inlet/Outlet size: 1.25''

According to another website, the dimensions for the radiator are as follows:

Specifications:

Radiator:

* Brand new civic/del sol aluminum radiator.Made of grade-A light weight aluminum.

* Direct bolt on without any modification.
* Increase 30%-40% cooling than OEM radiator,handles high revving motor.

* Size: Core size: 14.25''X 13.75''X 2.0''

Full size: 14.25''X 16.5''X 2.0''

Inlet/Outlet size: 1.25''

Thanks. I tried doing a search for that part number but gave up looking after checking a few links that didn't post any specs.

@Kirk
Thank you for the Dim's. I wonder if it will fit/mount on mine?

Hi John. I'm not quite sure what platform you're flying, but I think this radiator would fit in MANY applications. It's definitely more compact and much stronger than the standard Dom radiator (VW Rabbit) at a bargain of a price.
Good luck.

Hey Joe. Nice Pics.

.I really like this radiator mod. It looks great and for the money you can’t beat it. So far the quality is good. I’m sure it’s from china so we will wait and see. I don’t have any real proof but it sure fells like I have a performance improvement. I can cruse at 6000 rpm 65mph which is 5mph faster then I remember with the old radiator. My temps are running around 170 which is a big improvement from 140. If you do this mod I would recommend changing the Drain petcock with a bolt. It’s a cheap piece of plastic and will easily strip out.
As far as my shocks and springs are concerned, I love them. The spring rate seams fine and No Air! Love it.

Larry

This radiator Is the race version of the one you have on your Gyro. Fits a honda civc. They call it a half radiator I think.

Edypaul:
You may need to retrim your prop just a RRCH to get max speed with the new lower drag.
Fun, huh?
Watch the temps closely. 170F is at the upper end of the Rotax recommended range. I'm seeing 155F or so.

John, we use the standard Rotax Expansion chamber.
John with our main tank and second tank I carry about 10 gallons. My Aux tank holds 1.7 but I only fill that on trips.

Larry, I took mine up on Sunday mid afternoon, 90 degrees OAT, my high temp was 170 and my Straight and level flight temp was 162. We will be sure to keep an eye on it.

My fuel burn has been about 10 minutes to the gallon before the radiator change, with the additional thrust I may see a slight improvement, when I know I will add it to the thread.

Great thread, since I'm a new Dominator owner/pilot, this thread has me adding to my winter improvement list. Just curious, what is the main reason for the shock replacement? I've noticed that mine leak, is that why? I've also heard that several people have had the aluminum angle that supports the front of the seat crack, I'm assuming replacing those with steel is a good mod?

Adam

The shock mod is one of the best modifications that I have done to my Gyro. It handles much better on the ground . Not having to add Air every other time I fly is a great thing. The other mod is the Radiator mod!! I think Larry really hit on a winner with that one .

Adam, yes thanks for bringing that up. I was at a fly in breakfast when mine broke. My new ones are steel.