Benson Days

Spank

Aircraft
American Ranger AR-1c
I had a great flight yesterday in our Ercoupe(picture from yesterday attached). The winds were calm in the early morning but within an hour things started to get bumpy down low which is less pleasurable for me in my middle years. I love flying fast down low and cranking things around but for some reason I don't look as forward to flying when I know I'm going to get kicked around all the time. So I was once again reminded of the option to sell the Ercoupe and learn how to fly rotary wings in the hope it will be more fun. So with the wife's blessing, I booked a flight from Sacramento to Tampa next month for Benson days and I'm hoping to get some instruction and fly in as many potential different gyros to see if I can find a tandem that feels right. I started looking at Hotels and both the Tropicana and the Best Western still have rooms so I'm going to book something tonight. I don't know any of you so hopefully I can hang out and make some new friends for the few days I'll be in town. I'm arriving Wednesday night and leaving Saturday afternoon. See you soon!

Paul

Attachments

JRB549

J.R. Brown
Aircraft
Working on a Two seater
Total Flight Time
Get with Dave Space for a taste of his Dominator.

Stan V

Aircraft
Piper Arrow/RAF2000
Total Flight Time
Well Paul, when you leave on Saturday, you will have missed the best of Bensen Days which is the banquet. The awards and comradery can't be beat. I'll be in site 20, please look me up.

Spank

Aircraft
American Ranger AR-1c
Stan,

That's good to know for next year. Hopefully we can enjoy a drink and some food together during the days/nights I'm in town. I'll definitely find you at site #20 early on, to meet up.

Paul

Gyro28866

David McCutchen
Aircraft
Benson B7m & B8m, Dominator II; Kolb Mark III Classic
Total Flight Time
750 combined FW & Gyro
Hello Paul:
I will be camping in spot #3; that is right behind the mobile home and cantina.
I will arrive on Wednesday morning and leave on Sunday.
I will be bringing both, my Bensen and Dominator; depending on your weight, I will give you a ride in my back seat.
Give me a call; see my number below!

Attachments

Gyro28866

David McCutchen
Aircraft
Benson B7m & B8m, Dominator II; Kolb Mark III Classic
Total Flight Time
750 combined FW & Gyro
JR:
That is Dave "Space" Seace!
lol!!!

Ben Harrison

Paul, be forewarned. Gyroplanes are extremely addicting. I became an addict at Bensen Days two years ago. I'm a fixed wing convert. The first vertical descent, I was hooked. See you at Bensen Days!

Spank

Aircraft
American Ranger AR-1c
Thanks Ben, I really am excited to be there. I look forward to chatting with you more in person and hearing how you converted and what got you interested in the first place.

JRB -I'll try to find Dave and see if I can bribe him into a ride. He must have a good story.

scottessex

Sling-Wing Pilot
Aircraft
Dominator 582
Total Flight Time
200+
I had a great time at Bensen Days, too bad there are not more pictures and comments etc, but this new forum is not nearly as easy to navigate as the old one was, so maybe that is part of the problem..
Oh and the pictures of the orange gyros, those are Dave McCutchens.

All_In

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Piper Archer, Aviomania G1sb
Total Flight Time
Not sure over 10,000+ logged FW, 260+ ultralights, sailplane, hang-gliders
Gyro28866;n933378 said:
Hello Paul:
I will be camping in spot #3; that is right behind the mobile home and cantina.
I will arrive on Wednesday morning and leave on Sunday.
I will be bringing both, my Bensen and Dominator; depending on your weight, I will give you a ride in my back seat.
Give me a call; see my number below!
Great Picture... How cute!

All_In

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
scottessex;n1118677 said:
I had a great time at Bensen Days, too bad there are not more pictures and comments etc, but this new forum is not nearly as easy to navigate as the old one was, so maybe that is part of the problem..
Oh and the pictures of the orange gyros, those are Dave McCutchens.
Any more pictures were are starving to know what when on and see Photos.

All_In

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
Ben Harrison;n933403 said:
Paul, be forewarned. Gyroplanes are extremely addicting. I became an addict at Bensen Days two years ago. I'm a fixed wing convert. The first vertical descent, I was hooked. See you at Bensen Days!
Hey Ben.... Same thing happen to me. My 1st ride was with Ron Awad and the landing started with a vertical descent and then progressed into a "twist and shout" maneuver (vertical barrow roll) with a zero roll landing.

Here is a video of the "twist and shout" maneuver starting at about 5:04 on the video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFSUde4HSVk

I was hooked!!!

Spank

Aircraft
American Ranger AR-1c
No Title

I flew in from California on Wednesday evening and went direct to the field with a rental van, camping on an air mattress in the back of it. I met Greg Spicola and Vance Breese immediately upon arrival and took a shot of them settling into the AR-1. I got the chance to fly in the AR-1 with instruction from Greg and it was my favorite machine at the show but slightly out of my price point. It just flew really nice and I felt it would be a great platform to learn in. I also got the chance to fly the Tango 2 with their pilot Jon Carleton and the MTO Sport with Chris Lord, both from the back seats. The Tango is hard to beat price wise and Pavel's entire team were very nice folks to chat with. The MTO was equally a nice machine to fly in and I was amazed at how nice they both felt. I almost felt as if I was going to fall out of them since you almost sit on top vs down in which was a cool feeling. I could easily see myself learning in either of them as well. Overall I'm totally in love with Gyro's now and plan to move over as a convert as soon as I can from fixed wings. I literally spent the few days I had just sucking in as much as I could by hanging around the tents and talking with people. I especially enjoyed getting to know Vance more and having the chance to meet Abid from Silverlight Aviation as well as many other folks. The food trailer was a nice addition to avoid travelling away for meals and the hot showers were perfect for the grounds. My favorite part of the day was at Sunrise when (Dave McCutchen) would fly at 7 am and wake everyone up to start the day (at least most days). The time just flew by literally and despite some high winds everyone flew probably as much as they wanted. I enjoyed the morning Pilot briefings and learning from everyone there. Some of the Calidus Gyros were just beautifully built despite not flying in one myself, their fit and finish were top notch. I tracked Down Dave Seace and planned a ride with him but it never came to fruition with the heavy crowds and plenty of folks wanting rides. My pictures below look not so great from the iphone so I admit I'm not a good photographer but at least you see something. photo127178.jpg
I wish I could have stayed for the Saturday night dinner but all good things come to an end. I returned home excited and amazed at how well the Gyro's flew in gusty conditions. To me they handled as if there was a gentle gust underneath us pushing up or down but nothing violent. I could have flown all day in any of the Gyros but Greg and I had a real fun time searching out crocodiles and wild hogs just north of the field while I learned some basic maneuvers. I still don't get the landing phase but what would you expect with 1.5 hrs logged. I've already got my sights on certain Gyros in the used market and I'm still dreaming to save enough for what I really want but for now I just wanted to share with you all how much fun I had meeting everyone and how much I look forward to returning next year, maybe as an owner of a machine myself.

Attachments

Last edited:

CLS447

Platinum Member
Aircraft
Air Command 503 & Air Command SxS /EJ2.5
Total Flight Time
Aprox 400 gyro
Way to go , Spanky !