Bensen's brake

Georgi

Aircraft
gyro " Ultralight Bandit"
This question is to our "classic" guys. What kind of wood/plywood was it used for Bensen brakes? What was the most practical?
Thank you. Georgi.
P.S. Plus a little bit different. If you use a disk brake on a front wheel and have a soft springs in front fork-pedals linkage. Do you have a tendency to turn to the opposite direction of a disk brake side on braking?

Bensen Brake;

Bensen Brake;

I don't think Bensen was very specific about what wood to use.
Obviously it needed to be strong enough to take whatever foot pressure
it might encounter.
That said, the wood brake is inadequate at best, and as useful as a chocolate
teapot in damp/wet conditions.
I found a solid steel rod, about 1/2 inch in diameter, was far more effective at
all times, and fairly effective even on wet grass. that is, the wheel would skid on the surface before the rod would skid on the wheel.

Hope this helps.

P.S

Re your P.S. A disk brake and/or suspension is of no advantage to you, and could be hazardous. You only brake in a straight line, and even then, only lightly.

After landing, the rotor is your brake. The nosewheel brake is only for slow taxying and
as a holding brake at idle.

Fergus , I understand your thoughts about brakes and used to fly for many-many years without them.But ...once I almost got in a 172 prop ,because the Cessna pilot didn't think that I had no brakes. Another time after exiting my runway the strong wind picked me up on a taxiway and only after 4000' (with flat rotor) I somehow managed to stop (goodbye Nike). Those two "horror" stories were enough for me. Without brakes and a little wind in my back even with throttle full back my "ultra light" is "moving".So , little brakes are my piece of mind.

Try the steel bar, it would cover both scenarios.
The wood brake is fairly useless.
The steel bar is more progressive, more effective and more predictable.

You might consider a set of band brakes on the mains.
That is the setup on this Bensen, I can reach the pull handle and pull it up and have both brakes pulling the same.
The red handle is what I am referring to; the prerotor was also attached to the handle

Attachments

• IMAG0926.jpg
    IMAG0926.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 6
I put Hegar hydraulic brakes on my KB-2 main wheels with a brake pedal on both sides near my rudder pedals. Both pedals were attached to the same cylinder and engaged the brakes on both mains. I didn't need the brakes much on grass strips but they really came in handy when taxiing on asphalt.

Thank you , Gentlemen
The whole thing started when I put all four softer springs in my pedals/front fork linkage . On the pic you can see only two softer (shiny) springs in front and old ,stiffer in the back. But with softer springs on a brake gyro throws to the right. So,I went back to all "old"stiffer springs.In the process I thought about some minimalistic brakes. That is why I asked about Bensen brakes.And the hassle doesn't look like minimum plus even some welding. So , unless somebody knows better solution I'll stay with my bicycle disk brake. Although my turning radius (unlike with main brakes ) is atrociously huge.

Attachments

• Front Brake.jpg
    Front Brake.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 5
Not seeing how you get a "pull" by putting friction on the hub of the nose wheel?? The nose fork must be getting a steering input from something, brake cable or fat feet?

If you need a shorter turning radius, can you reattach the forward steering push-rods inboard toward the nose fork pivot on the fork tabs? That won't help you quickness in the steering!

Sounds like your limiting turning radius by restricting rudder pedal movement. Look at the whole rudder / nose wheel / system ratio-ing. Nose wheel needs enough displacement for a good turn - rudder pedals need fullest travel while comfortable for feet - rudder needs enough travel left & right to control all ranges of flight.

Adjust cable tabs and hole locations to make it all happen.

The info on nose-wheel steering from earlier will give a stable, centering nose wheel.

Don't fly an unsafe aircraft, you know better.

KM