Bensendays 2015 video update today

Yea, there are at least two Bensens in our hangars alone. Out of all 19 machines at Wauchula only two are high dollar. I like 'em......just can't afford one. And I'm sure Davey can do quite a bit more in his light weight Dom with 22' blades than any of the heavy guys can. When you come right down to it, that pure feeling of unhindered, highly maneuverable flight is why most of us got into the sport in the first place instead of flying fixed wings. I think the MTO’s are great for what they can do, which is get somewhere in a relative hurry. And I’d have one, if I could afford it. But I’ll always have a light by comparison single place.

Can't help but to think its looking like the days of affordable gyro flying is GONE! Rows upon rows of 70-120 thousand dollar gyros..... And 300-500 thousand dollar motorhomes!
QUOTE]

I agree! I am happy to see folks living their dreams ect., but the gyro movement has lost it's soul.:sad:

This same thing happened with our local R/C Club! I started the club in 1988 when I got out of the military. We were up to 100+ members and focused on getting kids involved and keeping dues affordable. Most folks flew .40 - .60 size trainers. Dues were $5.00 per month.

When I bought my Brantly, I bailed out of being an R/C'er and now...after 15 years, THE R/C CLUB HAS TURNED INTO A BUNCH OF RICH ENGINEERS AT PLAY WITH THEIR 75 LIMIT ON MEMBERSHIP, IN-GROUND IRRIGATION, $3000 GIANT SCALE PLANES THAT NEED TRAILERS, HIGH DUES, AND USUAL SNOOTY ATTITUDE. Long gone are the young kids with their trainers they bought with birthday money. :(

Last edited:
Same thing has taken place in GA Flight Training. 25 years ago...you'd show up at the airport and train in a 30 year old 2-seat airplane, like a C-150/152 or Tomahawk for a fraction of what it costs now.

The typical student solo'ed at 8-10 hours and took their Private checkride at 40-45 hours.

That's unheard of now. Today's primary students fly $200000 slick, high tech composite LSA's or fairly new 172's with 2 empty seats. Today's instructors feel getting a rating in minimum time is not doable and they have created an atmosphere where students expect about double what the FAA requires.

It's just disgraceful if you ask me. RC, gyros, and flying in general has became a rich boy activity.

We see it at the dirtbike races too.... Guys pull in friday night with a 300 grand motorhome or a who knows what it costs 5th wheel toyhauler pulled by a 80 grand lifted F-350.... And of course their bike has every goodie imaginable on it.

Of course there is still plenty of people that show up to the race in beat up old trucks or cars, with 15 year old bikes that are clapped out for the most part.

Different thing about racing is, it doesn't seem to matter if you live in a mobile home and have a crappy truck and crappy bike, or if you live in a 500K house and have a 300K RV and a 20K bike..... once the green flag drops its a race and none of that stuff matters. In most cases the rich guys get their butt handed to them by the trailer park crew!

I agree! I am happy to see folks living their dreams ect., but the gyro movement has lost it's soul.:sad:

And why is that? Who is stopping anyone from building the $12k gyro?

Did anyone get a count on how many gyroplanes were flying at Bensen Days?

I was wondering who won what awards?

I am sorry if the answers are already in another thread pleas direct me.

Thank you, Vance

I am not certain of the official count. I heard a count of 87 that seemed pretty accurate. It was a real nice mix of machines. A very good event and went on without a hitch. All very smooth and calm.

I am sorry, but I left before the award banquet, but I understand a tally will be posted shortly (if it hasn't been already).

If you look at any of the old glider rider magazines you can see the spirit of innovation. The ultralight has transformed into a unaffordable light sport aircraft with so much lipstick, horsepower and regulation its out of the hands of the common man. I see the gyro going the same way.

Attachments

• v_whop6.jpg
    v_whop6.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Did anyone get a count on how many gyroplanes were flying at Bensen Days?

I was wondering who won what awards?

I am sorry if the answers are already in another thread pleas direct me.

Thank you, Vance

I think Gabor made a video of the banquet. I assume he will post it when he gets a chance to.

Gerald, waiting for the other shoe to drop here...

Scenes to include Scott, Tim and Greg - the three Musketeers of the mid-millenial generation of gyro kids (we all entered this gig together at the same time) flying with a background music track going

"All the other kids with the pumped up kicks
better run better run
Outrun my gun.

All the other kids with the pumped up kicks
better run better run
Faster than my bullet."

Gerald, in case you haven't figured out yet how to get around the copyright blackouts on Youtube, it's real easy: you just add credit titles to the original artists in the opening or closing credits. I always do mine in the opening credits so they don't jump the gun, and try to outrun my bullets. Just take a gander at my gyro videos (look up GTgyro on Youtube) that have included such music greats as U2, Kelly Clarkson, Beethoven, George Thoroughgood...and never been banned or had the soundtrack dumped or silenced.

Or maybe it was professional courtesy.

Last edited:
The lower-priced gyros still far out numbered the high dollar ones.
d330b766de3ccf80e898315360897687.jpg

How is innovation being stifled?

How is innovation being stifled?

If you look at any of the old glider rider magazines you can see the spirit of innovation. The ultralight has transformed into a unaffordable light sport aircraft with so much lipstick, horsepower and regulation its out of the hands of the common man. I see the gyro going the same way.

Hi, Jeff

I'm trying to better understand your perspective.

Given that ultralights are not the same thing as light-sport aircraft, ultralights still exist. What's preventing further innovation with ultralights within the Part 103 regulations, regulations that don't require those craft to be registered with the FAA, have an airworthiness certificate, or require the operator to have a license of any kind?

Given that light-sport aircraft have a greater capability than ultralights -- due to a greater weight allowance, among other things -- should a light-sport aircraft not cost more than an ultralight?

Do you think ultralights can't co-exist with light-sport aircraft?

Ira

Greg,

Robert Rymer was there.

DOH! I even listed him on SWARC's thread as attending. I'm going to delete my posts. Thanks Jon.

We see it at the dirtbike races too.... Guys pull in friday night with a 300 grand motorhome or a who knows what it costs 5th wheel toyhauler pulled by a 80 grand lifted F-350.... And of course their bike has every goodie imaginable on it.

Of course there is still plenty of people that show up to the race in beat up old trucks or cars, with 15 year old bikes that are clapped out for the most part.

Different thing about racing is, it doesn't seem to matter if you live in a mobile home and have a crappy truck and crappy bike, or if you live in a 500K house and have a 300K RV and a 20K bike..... once the green flag drops its a race and none of that stuff matters. In most cases the rich guys get their butt handed to them by the trailer park crew!

1993 Road Atlanta I showed up with my shade-tree, home-built Porsche GT1 racer. I was getting quite a kick out of watching the guy in the factory-backed 911 behind me, struggling to keep up, when, in the "Esses", he finally spun out while I was cruising through them without breaking a sweat.

No slouch, this guy and his car, went on to place third at the 24 Hours of Lemans later that same season.

Just goes to show...

While we're all waiting for Gerald's most excellent video updates yet to come, here is a little gem John Pipe just sent me, of me apparently following a dragonfly - the bug, not the aircraft - in John's VansCraft Saturday.

Glad I didn't run into this monster, it would have taken me out for sure!

Attachments

• Flying VanCraft with Dragonfly Cropped.jpg
    Flying VanCraft with Dragonfly Cropped.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 0
Hi, Jeff

I'm trying to better understand your perspective.

Given that ultralights are not the same thing as light-sport aircraft, ultralights still exist. What's preventing further innovation with ultralights within the Part 103 regulations, regulations that don't require those craft to be registered with the FAA, have an airworthiness certificate, or require the operator to have a license of any kind?

Given that light-sport aircraft have a greater capability than ultralights -- due to a greater weight allowance, among other things -- should a light-sport aircraft not cost more than an ultralight?

Do you think ultralights can't co-exist with light-sport aircraft?

Ira

More freedom. Less regs. Hell I'm trying to figure it out too. Your argument is a strawmen argument anyway. Too each his own. Live and let live.