bensen with vw

jany77

Aircraft
cessna 150,172,182,trikes,ul
Total Flight Time
over 2250
i get this old bensen frame with mac for my friend hes not interested in frame just in engine so i was thinking why not put vw on it ,does anyone has drawing for engine mount for vw conversion ,also any experience with vw s' on bensens thank you

I have a set of original vw conversion plans for the bensen should you be interested.
Erik

I know they are out there and should work well at low elevations.

There is a KB2 with a 1835 that flies regularly at El Mirage 3,000'. It is not a light gyro, but seems to fly very well. 1 thing with the VW, you need dual carbs to keep the heads cool.

I had a VW that I was going to try, but it had a mag on the flywheel side, and made it impossible to fit in a gyro.

vw

vw

the reason why im asking for vw conversion is when i was visiting my friend in europe there is lot of guys flying there gyros with vw engines first it has better fuel consuption higher tbo and they can use regular car gasoline my friend work on airport as a/p so i guess for him get 100ll for mac will not be problem ,thank you guys

VW powered gyro

VW powered gyro

There is a KB2 with a 1835 that flies regularly at El Mirage 3,000'. It is not a light gyro, but seems to fly very well. 1 thing with the VW, you need dual carbs to keep the heads cool.

I had a VW that I was going to try, but it had a mag on the flywheel side, and made it impossible to fit in a gyro.

Dave
I don't understand what you talk about ? What is impossible?
I was flown VW for years before Steve have his gyro
I have direct drive and also wit reduction drive.
If you don't nothing about it don't talk about it:noidea:. This is same think how people bad mouth Bensen gyro not having any idea who Dr.Bensen was
Teddy :argue:

I know they are out there and should work well at low elevations.
Wanted: 503 prop for vancraft lightning, details on jet sizing for 72HP Mac 1920 holley carb(currently a #56- elevation 4050')

Eric
Ask Dave he fly Mac 72 and 90 . he knows
Teddy

vw

vw

hi ted
can you shear some technical info ,like what prop do you using size/pitch,who did the engine conversion
i talked today with guys from gpas about their gyro vw engine - what is the difference between pusher and tractor mods and why they use vertex magneto
thank you ted

jany77-from what I understand, the vertex magneto is a good one, just be careful where they put it, if it is one the flywheel side of the motor(oposite of the prop) it could make the motor too long to fit in the gyro, unless you don't mind making a longer keel. does this help Teddy?

Vw Power gyro

Vw Power gyro

hi ted
can you shear some technical info ,like what prop do you using size/pitch,who did the engine conversion
i talked today with guys from gpas about their gyro vw engine - what is the difference between pusher and tractor mods and why they use vertex magneto
thank you ted
If you like more info give me a call on the weekend(free call for me)
562 493-3960
Teddy

Here are some pics of the 1 that I had

Attachments

• my pictures 036.jpg
    my pictures 036.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 5
  • my pictures 037.jpg
    my pictures 037.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 5
  • my pictures 038.jpg
    my pictures 038.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 5
It is all good Teddy, It works better for me if I read things twice, before I start typing. Just a though lol

Teddy- Ya that would have been a great motor, 2164, if I could have made it work.

The Vertex magneto is a good one to use on the VW engine. The original design was to be mounted into the same hole as the stock distributor. The Vertex Mag is used by serious drag racers and off road competitors. I have some experience using this magneto, but not in an aviation capacity.

Because the Vertex magneto sits well above the height of the stock distributor, one cannot make an effective enclosed cowling when use in an aircraft, and that is why most aviation conversions have a magneto mounted on the flywheel side of the engine like in Dave's example. The only fixed wing aircraft that I can think of that used the Vertex magneto on a VW engine, was the original Volksplane designed and built by Bill Evans. I think for a Bensen gyroplane, the Vertex is fine.

http://www.evansair.com/photos.htm

http://www.zianet.com/fwagoner/P9080049.JPG

http://www.zianet.com/fwagoner/P9080050.JPG

Interestingly, Joe Souza also used a Vertex Magneto on a direct drive Subaru EA-81 for his Bandit gyroplane. That is the only time I've seen one used on a Subaru engine.

I often wonder if it would be more beneficial if one used a vertex magneto on an EJ22 or EJ25 engine than one of the many electronic ignitions systems used that are subject to RF interference from the aircraft transceiver?

Wayne

vw

vw

what is confusing on vw instalation is one think , almost all manufacturers has their vw as direct drive on pulley side ,bensen i think has prop on flywheel side due i guess he was using same prop rotation or even same prop ,my friends in europe they all fly their machines with vw some flywheel end prop some with pulley side prop but they are using electronic ignition not vertex, but in my opinion vertex even its expensive compare to other choices is probably the safest and easyiest to install

You are correct. Bensen did mount the prop on the flywheel end of the engine. He then had to design a "bed" type mount to use the engine with that method.

The reason why on VW engines the prop is mostly mounted on the pulley end is because the flywheel end has four very convenient mounting holes on the bell housing flange of the engine. Sort of a built in engine mount. Since most copy and build on what someone had previously done, it became "tradition" to mount the prop on the pulley end.

Wayne

When I return from Burningman I will be getting the VW plans scanned and emailed. I may get my full set of plans digitized for us to use.
Erik