Bensen/KB3 rebuild

Screw-In

Why pink? :rolleyes: For the love of God, why pink?

Screw-Out

Geeze Ron, you don't think I'd try to fly a gyro with out any stabs, do ya!? The picture was too close to the edge of the paper! :D

John that's not pink, it's fucsia, just like Mary said, If I did it in orage, everyone would think........well you know. ;)

Mods to frame for tall tails as I see it. the mast should be 10" above the prop to get the 2" clearance between the rudder support and prop. rudder leading eage is 6" from prop, 12" drop cut out from the top rear of rudder to help clear blades.

Attachments

• post.JPG
    post.JPG
    13 KB · Views: 1
Thanks for the info guys, I'll keep you posted on progress. :)

Hey Rotodude, I think you may have a good chance of being an industrial designer! :eek:

Scott, I wasn't talking about a Stab, I was saying the mast needed to be taller for the same reason Brent mentioned. you need clearance for the blades with a tall tail.

Also was saying your welcome for the donation to your gyro fix up fund I donated too.

Gaff angle...

Gaff angle...

I think (if I remember right) that Chuck Bs machine has the angle (down from horizontal) of 27 degrees to allow clearance from the rotor head to the tail. It's on Larry Goodhinds site. Please keep us apprised of your suspension design.

Scott how many inches did you drop the keel?

I saw that on Ron's gyro picture, the main wheels axels are drop too. About 3". other thing I imagine that you are goin to use brakes on the main wheels because now the front wheel you can't adapt the old brake.

Attachments

• falcon gyro.jpg
    falcon gyro.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I'm confused... (nothing new)

I'm confused... (nothing new)

joeheli said:
Scott how many inches did you drop the keel?...

I've heard the term "drop-keel" quite often, but from the photos aren't we raising the keel? The tail boom stays the same height for clearance, doesn't it? Just curious.

Thanks,
Brian Jackson

Brian your probably right but it is called dropping the keel and that is what we call it!

Jose the gyro in that picture used a neat little spring - like valve springs out of a Truck engine - suspension that required the wheels to be further down from the keel than normal.

Joe, I dropped the keel 6 1/2 inches. I got my nose wheel back from the welder, hopefully I will have the airframe mocked up real soon.

I got the airframe assembled last night, everything fit right together, I still have to make braces and such.

I will have to get it all assembled and then take it apart and paint everything, so it may fly in bare metal for awhile.

I am going to take some pictures this weekend.

Great! I am really happy for you. I really want to see how it looks. Belive me, I am the next one to make a Bensen drop keel. But I will need your help!

I guess I need to write down all the measurements, and make some drawings before I forget. :)

I will be so thankfull that I will send you this USDA :eek: choise made in PR :D

Attachments

• glerys2.jpg
    glerys2.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 1
Last edited: