Bensen/KB3 rebuild

scottessex

Sling-Wing Pilot
Aircraft
Dominator 582
Total Flight Time
200+
I have been pondering a few things since I am in the process of rebuilding my gyro after an unfortunate mishap. :mad:

I have been looking into adding some sort of drop keel, along with some suspension, I guess similar to a Falcon (rotorhawk)
I have looked at the gyrobee suspension and also the hornet pics are great.
I want to be up and flying as soon as posible, but I also want to do upgrades that will make an improvement without scaping this gyro and starting over with a different type.

I would like to see pictures of bensen style machines with suspension or dropped keel and or both.
Thanks.

Look again closely at this pic and you will see it has suspension on the main wheels. This gyro is down at Maxie Wildes shop now about ready to fly. you can always drive over there and take measurments.

Attachments

• falcon gyro.jpg
    falcon gyro.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 3
That's what I am talking about. I wish I could see how he did the suspension. I could drive to Savanah, but not this weekend!

I just need something to soak up the bumps on the runway, you know Ron, you flew John's KB. just a little bouncy.

Screw-In

OK, What are the chances of us getting you in the air by ROC? What's first, and how can I help?

Screw-Out

Scott you know it will take more than a 6 inch drop keel to give you CLT. Take a look at where the center of the prop is and where your belly button will be when seated and that will get you close to if not right at CLT. Built to that, not 6 inches.

Another way to do it is to leave the keel one piece as it is. Then make the mast much MUCH taller. Then leave the engine as low as you can and still have room for the prop, and then raise the seat up the mast till you get the belly button thrustline all lined up, this will require a raised area up front for your rudder pedals and may require some creative thinking on raising the control system that rides under the seat, but it can be done as it was on this gyro. Also very easy to make these mods... btw, this gyro used a 75 HP certified aircraft engine but swung a 60 inch prop just like you will be doing so it is apples to apples.

Attachments

• bensen.jpg
    bensen.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 1
Screw-In

Ron,

I think Scott is gonna go with this. I'm tring to get him a plans set for a tall tail with horizontal centered in prop wash like a Dom or Mad Max.

Screw-Out

Attachments

• falcon gyro.jpg
    falcon gyro.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 1
I'm on my way, I ordered my aluminum from Wicks, this morning. I have the airframe mocked up, with the bent mast etc. But I should be able to use most of the original airframe for patterns etc. Engine parts are arriving soon! The FedEx guy called me this morning at work and had to ask how to get to the house. I got my Rotax exhaust pipe last Friday. I am moving along, I still need to send the prop to Warp and get a rotax hub, Send the prerotator gear back to Wunderlich and get a mount and drum for the pre-Rtr. I'll keep you posted.
Thanks John, and Ron.

I heard John flew Da Screwdriver yesterday, and scared a bunch of Nuns and babies over there close to his area. :D

Screw-In

Nice Scott. Real Nice.

Screw-Out

screw,
if you get those plans please let me know i need to build a tall tail was thinking of making it out of alum.like the new dom. or of fabric like the old planes. thanks ben

Sorry for bustin' on ya John, but you know how it is, I just can't help it. :D

Here is a pic of the rebuild, just mocked up with what was lying around and the old bent stuff just to get an idea of what I might do.

Attachments

• gyro rebuild1 sm.JPG
    gyro rebuild1 sm.JPG
    52.2 KB · Views: 1
another one.

Attachments

• gyro rebuild2 sm.JPG
    gyro rebuild2 sm.JPG
    55.8 KB · Views: 1
Scott, do yourself a big favor and get with Ernie Boyette on that pre rotator. His wunderlick set ups can pull 260+ RRPM with a little 503 Rotax, with your more powerful Suzuki I bet you could get over 300 no problem. Then your takeoff rolls would be VERY short!

Scott, that frame is looking real good so far! Best of luck on the rebuild!

Hey Scott ... every time I take a look at all that bent metal I alway think "Man, I sure am glad you got out of that in on piece"

Best of luck on the re-build .. it's looking good

You and me both!

Here are a couple of examples of what i am going to do. they are similar, except for the area of the mast/keel/axle mounting arrangement.

Attachments

• gyroframe1.JPG
    gyroframe1.JPG
    11 KB · Views: 1
The other one.
Boy I sure feel like an amatuer with these pictures after seeing Don Shoebridges auto cad drawings :)

Attachments

• gyroframe2.JPG
    gyroframe2.JPG
    13.7 KB · Views: 0