Bensen Gyros or KB2- Feed back needed

The prop was limited by the Mac because it was the largest prop you could put on the Mac and not exceed recommend prop tip speed. That is the 52 inches. It does raise the thrust line to the point we have to start raising other components when we go larger. Dropping the Keel under the prop like the MT O3 or the Cloud Dancer would allow a larger prop without changing anything else. A dropped keel, is actually a raised keel except the rear keel remains the same height. (KB 4 ) .
Chuck B. moved his keel over the prop instead of under it. I did not get to see his machine at Bensen days. that was disappointing. I did get to see Chuck, that was uplifting.
Jake has done an excellant job of putting an H/S on a homebuilt.

Case in point: I love motorcycles....same reason. I would never have a Gold wing, I am sure
they are comfortable, but if I want a radio, heat AC, and luggage space for a 2 week trip, I'll just have a convertible.
Lightweight motorcycles are just fun, 2 wheels and an engine to get you down the road, who needs a 1000lb bike? (your mileage will vary)

As a vintage machine (mostly motorcycle) guy with cycle experience... I am with Scott here. I would really like giving a Benson or KB a go. Yes, I am gyroless at the moment but working hard to become gyrofied.

"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were ever our countrymen.” — Samuel Adams

YES SIR! Very good quote and position!

Mark S.
I would like a Franklin 4 stroke, 2 cylinder, which I think was also a Bensen.

Barmstormers has the Frankin you want.

I know a guy who has a Bensen with a 532 and what looked like a 2to1 belt drive and a 52" prop it flys fine. If I get back I will see if I can get some photos of it.

a rotax B box can have a 2 to 1 or almost that and would work just the same.

I put a 532 with a 60 prop tall tail and it was very nice to fly.

Last edited:
Brent,
I have the KB 4 , but I want to build something fresh, The Bensen was the perfect fun gyro with the exception of the Mac and possiblly suspension. I think the reason is as everyone mentioned. My KB 4 is an great flying machine. It is stable, fast and dependable. It is not as convient as my Bensens/KB2. because it is not as light, small and inexpensive to build. I was asking for feed back to see how other people feel who have the Bensen experince to see if that is a strong attitude among us. If it is, then someone needs to fill the Gap that Mr. Brock left behind.
Thank you, I would like to see some photos.

The Bensen I have a share in has a Rotax 532 and 4 blade 52'' Ivo that pulled 320lbs.

Very light, great performance, and extremely sprightly with me at 210lbs. Gets off the ground very quickly with 22' Rotorhawks and no prerotator.

What I feel is slightly limiting is the 5gall tank, short range and limited endurance.

Having said that with our wonderful May weather each of the four flights I did over the last two days has been very cold and forty minutes at a time quite enough.