Bensen Days unicom radio

WHY

Gold Member
Aircraft
Ercoupe and Cessna 150, 152, 172, 140, Aeronca,7ac, Citabria,Chief,Piper PA11,PA12
Total Flight Time
Some time back there was a post on the forum talking about a "Unicom" type radio needed for use on the field at Bensen Days. I had suggested looking for one of the "older" aircraft radios and using a 12 volt power supply along with a cabinet and jack panel to make such a radio ( I did this on the first radio for the Mentone Tower, it worked great).

Well, in looking through some of my many drawers and boxes of "stuff" I find that I have a older Bendix Comm radio, ( one of those that is about 3 inches square in the face), that I bought years ago at the Oshkosh Flymarket, it was supposed to be working when removed. It has the mounting rack and about 10 ft of the wiring cable with it. The cable wire had been tagged but were written in pencil and are badly faded.

Sometime back, I advertised for a wiring diagram for it so it could be used for just such a purpose but got no replies. All it lacks is the volume control knob.

If anyone want to try and find the wiring schematics and build it up for Bensen Days they can have it for free.

Tony:)

SWaRC

PRA Chapter 26
I'd love to give it a try. I am sure Bud would love to have a little more range than we had last time around with the hand held.
Gab.
(Sent ya an e-mail with contact info)

WHY

Gold Member
Aircraft
Ercoupe and Cessna 150, 152, 172, 140, Aeronca,7ac, Citabria,Chief,Piper PA11,PA12
Total Flight Time
Hi Gab

The one I made for the tower at Mentone had about a 30 mile range with a little homemade quarter wave ground plane antenna on a TV mast stuck in the ground, (before it was put in the tower), will box up and send it to you. Good luck on finding a schematic wiring .

Tony

BUD ONEAL

Gold Member
Aircraft
Dominator
Total Flight Time
600+
Thank you Tony for your gift, I know that Gabor can find the needed schematic and it will be appreciated by me for sure!

SWaRC

PRA Chapter 26
Thank you Tony! You are a gem :) I'll make it work. This is going to be such a great tool for us during the event. I have all the parts to make it run either off a battery or even hooking it up to 110V. The antenna is not a problem either! Thank you again. I'll pm you my addy, Thanks again Tony!!!!
GAb