Bensen Days 2022

cmb

Aircraft
Dominator Single
Total Flight Time
~55
Bensen Days 2022 is just around the corner and it’s on track to be a Great event!
Campsites are going fast! Reserve yours soon if you wish to camp on-site.

Bensen Days Webpage
Bensen Days FaceBook Group

We hope to see some new Gyro designs this year and the Staff is also working to host several Seminars, stay tuned more to come…

1643726850598.jpeg

I totally lost my brains (AGAIN) ...& booked a campsite for an RV .....Last year I SWORE I was never going to trailer my big rig & gyro all that way again!
Yet again ..... My desire to enjoy time visiting with my gyro-mates was so strong .... I've decided to rent a local Rv from RV share ...get it placed in the campsite & enjoy a slower ? scenic back-roads cross country trip in my truck! So I'll be available to help Vance with Judging(???) - help as needed with the event! & just enjoy a totally non-flying social event!
Seeya there!

Here’s a list of the Seminars scheduled for this year’s event:

There will be a GWS (Gyro Warning System) presentation from Mike Goodrich who’s joining us from France.
Info on the GWS can be found here: https://www.rotaryforum.com/threads/gyro-warning-system.1145987/
I’m sure Mike will comment more in this thread or in the GWS thread.

If there is enough interest; Mike G. has proposed to present his “Understanding rotor vibrations & basic dynamic balancing” class for anyone who simply wants to better understand the basics of dynamic balancing and how to recognize different vibrations. For this seminar, there would be a $50 charge with 50% of the proceeds going to Bensen Days. This is also a good class for those who are interested in possibly attending a full training course later and obtaining a dynamic balancer to perform their own rotor track & balance.

Maxie Wildes will be giving a Tech Talk regarding Gyro design & best practices for the home-builder...including hang-testing, proper weight and balance, as well as proper aerodynamics when adapting a pod or enclosure to a home-built gyro.

The Staff is also working to hold a Gyro question and answer session for those who are new to gyroplanes and are looking to enter the sport.

Stay tuned for more info on dates & times!

I think several of the Carolina Barnstormers plan to attend. Should be fun! Maybe we should challenge Peachstate to see who has the most members show up to BD!!!!!!

Reactions: cmb
A bit more info regarding the GWS at Bensen Days.

Silverlight has received the 1st pre-production prototype for evaluation. I will be at Zephyhills the week before Bensen Days to get Abid up to speed with the setup and do the initial testing.

The plan is that if we can find a venue at BDs I will give a short presentation of the GWS to those who are interested and, if all goes according to plan, Abid will have an AR1 with the GWS installed for anyone wishing to experience the AR1 and the warning system.

Mike G

There will be a GWS (Gyro Warning System) presentation from Mike Goodrich who’s joining us from France.
Info on the GWS can be found here: https://www.rotaryforum.com/threads/gyro-warning-system.1145987/

If there is enough interest; Mike G. has proposed to present his “Understanding rotor vibrations & basic dynamic balancing” class for anyone who simply wants to better understand the basics of dynamic balancing and how to recognize different vibrations. For this seminar, there would be a $50 charge with 50% of the proceeds going to Bensen Days. This is also a good class for those who are interested in possibly attending a full training course later and obtaining a dynamic balancer to perform their own rotor track & balance.

Maxie Wildes will be giving a Tech Talk regarding Gyro design & best practices for the home-builder...including hang-testing, proper weight and balance, as well as proper aerodynamics when adapting a pod or enclosure to a home-built gyro.

The Staff is also working to hold a Gyro question and answer session for those who are new to gyroplanes and are looking to enter the sport.

More reasons to attend. Thank you for your efforts.

I would attend a course on rotor vibrations and dynamic balancing.

Some more details about the proposed “Understanding rotor vibrations & basic dynamic balancing” class.

This is a session that I’ve been asked to give to a number of clubs and groups in France, it takes about 45 minutes plus questions.

There are two parts to this.

The first is a presentation of how to recognize the different sources of vibration in a gyrocopter by separating out their different frequencies using the vibration spectrum and different “hands on” methods for those without access to sophisticated equipment. The aim is to help owners decide if the vibration they are experiencing is 1/rev, hence a track and balance of the rotor would be valid, or 2/rev about which you can do virtually nothing. It’s frustrating for me to see guys with vibrations who then start tinkering with the rotor and often making things worse because the problem was 2/rev or something else.

The second part is a simple (no math) demonstration of how a dynamic balancer works and how to read and understand the balancer Polar Chart. The aim here is to help owners discuss intelligently with anyone offering a dynamic balance to ensure that they’re not wasting their money.

I'm really trying to debunk the idea that rotor track and balance is black magic, it's a process that requires precision, patience and practice but is doable by anyone who makes the effort to learn how to.

Doctordantodd

This will not teach you how to dynamically track and balance your rotor (that’s a 2 day training session) but should allow you to avoid some of the pitfalls regarding gyrocopter vibration.

Mike G

Last edited:
Some more details about the proposed “Understanding rotor vibrations & basic dynamic balancing” class.

This is a session that I’ve been asked to give to a number of clubs and groups in France, it takes about 45 minutes plus questions.

The first is a presentation of how to recognize the different sources of vibration in a gyrocopter by separating out their different frequencies using the vibration spectrum and different “hands on” methods for those without access to sophisticated equipment. The aim is to help owners decide if the vibration they are experiencing is 1/rev, hence a track and balance of the rotor would be valid, or 2/rev about which you can do virtually nothing. It’s frustrating for me to see guys with vibrations who then start tinkering with the rotor and often making things worse because the problem was 2/rev or something else.

The second part is a simple (no math) demonstration of how a dynamic balancer works and how to read and understand the balancer Polar Chart. The aim here is to help owners discuss intelligently with anyone offering a dynamic balance to ensure that they’re not wasting their money.

I'm really trying to debunk the idea that rotor track and balance is black magic, it's a process that requires precision, patience and practice but is doable by anyone who makes the effort to learn how to.

Mike G
As a flight instructor I would find any information about how a rotor works valuable Mike.

Invariably clients ask me why the rotor shakes and anything that would help to answer those questions more intelligently would be of value to me.

I love what you are doing with your rotor warning system (GWS) and look forward to a better understanding of uncommanded rotor excursions as that seems to do a lot of damage to gyroplanes.

I love gyroplanes and I love to learn so I am intensely interested in anything you have to share.

Doctordantodd

This will not teach you how to dynamically track and balance your rotor (that’s a 2 day training session) but should allow you to avoid some of the pitfalls regarding gyrocopter vibration.

Mike G
I have read enough of your stuff to realize how complex it is. Looking forward to anything I can learn at Benson Days! We may get some more guys from South Dakota to join, gyros are catching on up here!!

Last edited:

Doctordantodd

Mike G
At some point I would love to take your full session and purchase a balancer.

Attention all Bensen Days Vendors

Please be sure to register via the website as soon as possible so we can be sure to include you as we promote Bensen Days through Social Media!

Registering also helps Staff plan the layout as vendor spaces on the main tarmac are only secured once registrations are made via the official website. Although you may have already spoken to someone, it is important we get everyone registered via the website. The sooner the better!

Who needs to register as a vendor?
Basically if you’re a Manufacturer or a CFI and wish to setup a tent or display on (or adjacent to) the main tarmac you’ll need to register as a vendor.

Thanks!
Vendor Area.PNG

Doctordantodd
It appears complicated because the graphics used (polar chart & frequency spectrum) are not graph forms most people are used to seeing. Once they’ve been explained it should appear simpler. However, there’s no guarantee; the cleverest, most educated (PhD) participant I tried to train could never get his head around it yet a good mechanic with little formal education got it straight away.

I've said all this before, but since you appear to be new on RWF, here I go again:
As a general rule I say if you’re a professional selling your services working on gyrocopters, you must be able to track and balance, so a balancer should be part of your tool kit. If you’re on owner I discourage you from buying a balancer unless you’re out in the sticks on your own or fascinated by vibration. Get a group together to share the costs, choose the most tech savvy partner to be at all the balance sessions so that he and the group climb the learning curve and establish a database of knowledge.

Sorry for thread drift.

Mike G

Some past BD fun!! 👍🏻😁0B9F6BFE-22CE-4E1E-85E0-A182F7676FA5.jpeg06C3BF19-506B-4E19-A634-B199FD746876.jpeg0FEB225D-44F7-40D1-817E-3754E725D029.jpeg

Bensen Days Seminar Schedule

Currently the plan is to have Mike Goodrich's GWS Presentation either late Thursday evening or early Friday morning so anyone attending the presentation will have ample time to setup a demo flight with Silverlight to experience a GWS in an AR-1.

Maxie Wilde's Tech Talk will be on Friday, as well as Mike's Understanding rotor vibrations & basic dynamic balancing class.

The Gyro talk, for those new to Gyroplanes, will likely be conducted on both Thursday and Friday.

No seminars are scheduled for Saturday as this would detract from the main events of the day.

We welcome any thoughts with respect to the timing as we sort out the schedule, also feel free to reply here and let us know if you plan to attend any of these seminars. If we have ample response we may hold some of these twice (Thursday and Friday).

GREAT way to add valuable content to Bensen Days!
All going well. I am attending without a gyro ...so will be able to enjoy the new seminar experiences & the social aspects & volunteer task opportunities! Put me down for the educational seminars!
Any solo ladies needing on airport accommodation ....I'm renting a local RV placed on site#21 for the week ...& will have extra sleeping space!