Bensen B8 help needed

rabidcanadian

New here but hoping to find some info on this machine.

I been given a B8 in pieces and parts missing, and no plans. I am trying too decide if this can be rebuilt to flying condition or just restored for an interesting piece of history.
The rotor head is a problem, it is a little rusted and has the overhead control. I would like to find the plans for the joystick style control and is there a newer or better head design to fit this craft? Second is landing gear, it came with now as it has been set up for floats. suggestions? and lastly is the motor, what would be a inexpensive motor that would work well for this craft. I am thinking some sort of snowmobile type engine?
Can this craft ever be made safe to fly?

Here are some pictures

Attachments

• IMG_1116.jpg
    IMG_1116.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1115.jpg
    IMG_1115.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1076.jpg
    IMG_1076.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1079.jpg
    IMG_1079.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 0
Hi

Restore it as a static ground exhibit - would look great in your front garden.

Cheers

Difficult to tell by the pictures, but I do not see any engine mount or bracing. I think you might just have a B8 Glider on floats. The one picture appears to have a tow release mounted at the front. Also there are no throttle on the stick. Also I see water in the background of one picture; must have been a local find.

Attachments

• IMAG1356.jpg
    IMAG1356.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMAG1358.jpg
    IMAG1358.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 0
I been given a B8 in pieces and parts missing, and no plans.

As a minimum, you have a perfect set of plans - the template is assembled in front of you.
After I balled up my first gyro in the swamp, I dismantled it and used it to get all the measurements for a rebuild.

I think it would need too much work to restore to fly, but as for mentioned, use it as a template for a new build. the rotorhead is far too gone to restore! But you do have a great set of blades!!

The water in the background is the lake next to our house. It was sort if a local find. A friend told me about a plane the previous owner of their farm was building in a barn and he left it behind. I found the main frame, then talked to the original owner and he gave me a history of the gyro and the floats and rotors.
I thought it was the glider at first as well, but he built it from a kit with a 50hp motor and it did fly in Hamilton, Ont. He never flew with the floats. The motor was underpowered and he sold it, and the landing gear. Then he built the floats and tested it on the lake with an outboard boat motor to see how it handled. After he saw one crash he never did anything else with the gyro.

Questions

What would be wrong with using the base frame using all new hardware to rebuild it? The metal is all straight and in great shape.
Where can I find a updated rotor head and plans for relocating the control stick?
I see a few of these still flying, what changes have been made to keep them fairly stable in flight?

Interesting project. The aluminum blades are the most valuable, if they are in good shape they can go for up to $2000. IF you consider parting it out I would be interested in some of the parts.
Take care

Phil

Faahhhhh Getttt Abahhitttt!!!!!!!

Faahhhhh Getttt Abahhitttt!!!!!!!

That is a very old, old gyro,,,,the spindle head is a dinosaur, the craft is way, way too far gone,,,,make it a lawn ornament!!! And more than likely the blades are of the aluminum riveted type,,,and Bensen since after that he used "monel" rivets,,,,all a lot cause.

the spindle head is the same type that I learned to fly with and I still have one on one of my gyros, I like them with the overhead stick but with a joystick they have an odd feel that I have never liked but it may be just me as I don't like a gimbal head because of the feed back pressure in rough air, if you are going to use this type head you must have a much larger horizontal stabilizer than a gimbal head machine would have.

Norm