Battery's Dry Cell

Mark Sanders

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
sparrow hawk
Total Flight Time
Hey I am looking for another battery a dry cell in particular. I have a two year old odyssey pc545 and it has been loosing charge when the gyro sets for even 4 hours then have to jump start. I think im flying on altenator. anyone useing any thing differant.

Mark I use a Garden Tractor battery form Wal Mart (Approx 20 bucks) and keep charged up with a Harbor Freight Float charger ( $6 bucks) for the past several years--as cheap as it gets with no problems!! I admit I had to jump the battery at El Mirage but that was ony because I flooded the engine--Ive been flying for the past month with no jumps-- starts fist time every time!!

Not a dry cell but it works well --give it a try!!

Last edited:
Odyssey battery

Odyssey battery

I have an old 5 yr ody pc680 battery that pulls 250 load test amps only 50 less than when it was new. Has no problem keeping a charge when in storage. A friend of mind bought a few different ODYSSEY batteries and had nothing but trouble with them. None would hold a charge for any amount of time. The company turned around and sold him a special high voltage high amperage charger that they said was his problem, not enough juice to recharge the battery. I felt it was a B.S story, should have nothing to do with keeping a charge. Either the battery holds a charge or it does not. Of course I would put a current amp meter on it and make sure you have less than 20ma current drain. Anything more than that and you will have a flat battery after a week or 2 or 3 depending on your initial starting requirements. Flying on an alternator will cook the alternator.

I am not 100% sure but I think they are now being made in china and quality control went out the window. Along with a lot of Accel products. Considering they are expensive and shipping a heavy item back and forth can quickly eat up more than the purchase price of the battery I am reluctant to buy a new ODY battery.

...Flying on an alternator will cook the alternator...

Jonathan, not sure what you're saying here...

After starting, the alternator has to supply both the total current required to operate all aircraft systems, and a margin of additional current to bring the battery back up to full charge following starting. Once the battery returns to full charge, the alternator should be running everything for the duration of the flight, and the battery should just be along for the ride.

Last edited:
Mark I use a Garden Tractor battery form Wal Mart (Approx 20 bucks) and keep charged up with a Harbor Freight Float charger ( $6 bucks) for the past several years--as cheap as it gets with no problems!! I admit I had to jump the battery at El Mirage but that was ony because I flooded the engine--Ive been flying for the past month with no jumps-- starts fist time every time!!

Not a dry cell but it works well --give it a try!!
Mike I have a battery like yours that I used to jump our aircraft at el mirage its the wrong size and leaks acid want to have a acid free motor cycle type.

I have an old 5 yr ody pc680 battery that pulls 250 load test amps only 50 less than when it was new. Has no problem keeping a charge when in storage. A friend of mind bought a few different ODYSSEY batteries and had nothing but trouble with them. None would hold a charge for any amount of time. The company turned around and sold him a special high voltage high amperage charger that they said was his problem, not enough juice to recharge the battery. I felt it was a B.S story, should have nothing to do with keeping a charge. Either the battery holds a charge or it does not. Of course I would put a current amp meter on it and make sure you have less than 20ma current drain. Anything more than that and you will have a flat battery after a week or 2 or 3 depending on your initial starting requirements. Flying on an alternator will cook the alternator.

I am not 100% sure but I think they are now being made in china and quality control went out the window. Along with a lot of Accel products. Considering they are expensive and shipping a heavy item back and forth can quickly eat up more than the purchase price of the battery I am reluctant to buy a new ODY battery.
I will try another brand this time looking at the DYNA BATT 5575C need another comprable make.

Hey I am looking for another battery a dry cell in particular. I have a two year old odyssey pc545 and it has been loosing charge when the gyro sets for even 4 hours then have to jump start. I think im flying on altenator. anyone useing any thing differant.

I had an odyssey that the previous owner used a trickle charger. Did the same thing.

I have a distant relative that sell those batteries. Do not use a trickle charger. Use a 6 amp charger if it is low. A trickle charger will ruin the battery.

Odyssey makes a certified battery for aircraft, "Hawker". I have no problem with the Hawker and it stays charged for months.

I have two batteries in my Dodge diesel pickup. My brother-in-law has an one odyseey in the same year diesel pickup. The odyseey starts his diesel on cold winters mornings (5 F), even while I struggle with two normal batteries.

Last edited:
Lesson: Charging system

Lesson: Charging system

The alternator is not meant to be a power supply like a DC battery source.

The alternator puts out an irregular DC waveform that "averages" a steady voltage. The battery is a working part and needed component of this system. The battery absorbs this "ripple" in the output of the alternator.

A sick battery will not hold a charge or may require loads of power to keep in a charged state. This will tax the alternator, suck power etc.

THIS WILL OVERHEAT or cause the alternator to RUN HOT.

THIS CAUSES PREMATURE ALTERNATOR FAILURE.

will result NOISY power for the electrical loads in your aircraft.

EMI / RFI is annoying in your radio but it can be harmful or FATAL if your ECM or ignition system is fragged by it.

If you are flying a lawn tractor then go with the previous suggestion. Frankly I have no luck with cheapo lawn batteries. I have better luck with used tired automotive batteries but few fit the small tray on my riding mower......

the PC 575 does not have power the PC680 has. I have noticed in either Jegs or summit there are a few other drycell mfg's but I have no experience with them.

On my carbon pile I could pull a solid 300 amps at 10.5 volts. You will never see that kind of output on any lead acid battery until you reach a size that weighs 40 lbs. eg Group 75.

The dry cell weighs only 15 lbs for the same power output. in about 1/3 the space.

If you are running an automotive conversion you need all the power you can get when the temps drop. It only takes 80 amps to spin over a hot engine. Try 4 to 5 times that amount when the temps drop to 32 degrees. Plus the colder it is the lower the output of the battery, and regardless of what most weekend warriors tell you, you need above 10 volts when cranking to keep the ECM's memory safe. A battery may be able to crank over an engine but if the supply voltage drops below 9.5 volts you can have all sorts of weird issues.

These are the basics.

Currently I am researching lithium technology but do not have any recommendations at this time.

Jonathan

I actually think the oddesey batteries are very good batteries. Hold a charge and good power for starting. I would not have bought a second battery, had I not sent in the first bad battery to a dealer.

The flaw is leaving a trickle charger on for days at a time.

Now the opposite is I use golf cart batteries (2-6volt) with a 1200 watt inverter for electricity in a cabin (12x12) that is 12 feet in the air. Some call it a deer stand others a kids playhouse. We use a solar charger for the batteries. These same batteries will run a golf cart 25 miles. The solar trickle charger is on all the time (except at night).

I had an odyssey that the previous owner used a trickle charger. Did the same thing.

I have a distant relative that sell those batteries. Do not use a trickle charger. Use a 6 amp charger if it is low. A trickle charger will ruin the battery.

Odyssey makes a certified battery for aircraft, "Hawker". I have no problem with the Hawker and it stays charged for months.

I have two batteries in my Dodge diesel pickup. My brother-in-law has an one odyseey in the same year diesel pickup. The odyseey starts his diesel on cold winters mornings (5 F), even while I struggle with two normal batteries.
Thanks Larry I will research the hawker but their has to be more makers of dry cell batterys out their than just these few I just don't know of them. the odyseey did not hold up like they claim to.

Mark, before you condemn your battery you might want to check your charging system first. Seems like a whole bunch of the alternators used by Sparrowhawks have a diode problem which I along with many others have encountered. I have actually replaced my alternator a few times only to find the new or rebuilt still had a diode failure. While the guys at the parts store always went out of their way to replace it I think they thought I was crazy. My 4th replacement finally works like a champ and I have had no problems since. One simple test is to feel your alternator with everything turned off and been setting so everything should be at room temperature and a charged battery. If you feel any heat from the alternator you have found your problem. I am sure there are more sophisticated tests, but this is the simple way I understood and it fixed my problem. I was lucky and grateful to have the opportunity to finish my bird in Buckeye working next to and with the talented crew from Groen Brothers, Monty, Craig, Terry and Bill seeing many Sparrowhawks that had the same problem. Before you go to buy a new battery you might want to make sure the discharge is not coming from this old nemesis. Most part stores have to order the alternator but the Checker Auto in Buckeye usually have 3 in stock for some reason. Hope this helps…

Mark I was going through batteries once a year --in my gyro and 5th wheel trailer.and other toys. The problem was inactivity on some and that the trickle charger on others was cooking them --so I switched to a "float" charger --well actually it wont charge a battery but it will maintain it -literally forever. I bought a crate load of them at Harbor Freight for 6 bucks each --
Ive got them on all my toys now --5th Wheel ,three ATVs ,motorcycle, gyro, and Jet Ski--I havent bought a battery for any of these in the past three years --They dont boil off the water and /or overcharge the battery.

Mark,

I put a sealed batt. in my machine in Oct. '05 and been maintenace free ever since. I just dust it off once in a while.

It's Part No. 66010-82B, a 28 Amp Hour, that I got at the local Harley Davidson dealer.

Cheers :)

The alternator is not meant to be a power supply like a DC battery source.

The alternator puts out an irregular DC waveform that "averages" a steady voltage. The battery is a working part and needed component of this system. The battery absorbs this "ripple" in the output of the alternator.

A sick battery will not hold a charge or may require loads of power to keep in a charged state. This will tax the alternator, suck power etc.

THIS WILL OVERHEAT or cause the alternator to RUN HOT.

THIS CAUSES PREMATURE ALTERNATOR FAILURE.

will result NOISY power for the electrical loads in your aircraft.

EMI / RFI is annoying in your radio but it can be harmful or FATAL if your ECM or ignition system is fragged by it.

If you are flying a lawn tractor then go with the previous suggestion. Frankly I have no luck with cheapo lawn batteries. I have better luck with used tired automotive batteries but few fit the small tray on my riding mower......

the PC 575 does not have power the PC680 has. I have noticed in either Jegs or summit there are a few other drycell mfg's but I have no experience with them.

On my carbon pile I could pull a solid 300 amps at 10.5 volts. You will never see that kind of output on any lead acid battery until you reach a size that weighs 40 lbs. eg Group 75.

The dry cell weighs only 15 lbs for the same power output. in about 1/3 the space.

If you are running an automotive conversion you need all the power you can get when the temps drop. It only takes 80 amps to spin over a hot engine. Try 4 to 5 times that amount when the temps drop to 32 degrees. Plus the colder it is the lower the output of the battery, and regardless of what most weekend warriors tell you, you need above 10 volts when cranking to keep the ECM's memory safe. A battery may be able to crank over an engine but if the supply voltage drops below 9.5 volts you can have all sorts of weird issues.

These are the basics.

Currently I am researching lithium technology but do not have any recommendations at this time.

Jonathan
Thanks Jonathan

Mark, before you condemn your battery you might want to check your charging system first. Seems like a whole bunch of the alternators used by Sparrowhawks have a diode problem which I along with many others have encountered. I have actually replaced my alternator a few times only to find the new or rebuilt still had a diode failure. While the guys at the parts store always went out of their way to replace it I think they thought I was crazy. My 4th replacement finally works like a champ and I have had no problems since. One simple test is to feel your alternator with everything turned off and been setting so everything should be at room temperature and a charged battery. If you feel any heat from the alternator you have found your problem. I am sure there are more sophisticated tests, but this is the simple way I understood and it fixed my problem. I was lucky and grateful to have the opportunity to finish my bird in Buckeye working next to and with the talented crew from Groen Brothers, Monty, Craig, Terry and Bill seeing many Sparrowhawks that had the same problem. Before you go to buy a new battery you might want to make sure the discharge is not coming from this old nemesis. Most part stores have to order the alternator but the Checker Auto in Buckeye usually have 3 in stock for some reason. Hope this helps…
Brandon I wil try that and let you know what I find out thanks.

Mark I was going through batteries once a year --in my gyro and 5th wheel trailer.and other toys. The problem was inactivity on some and that the trickle charger on others was cooking them --so I switched to a "float" charger --well actually it wont charge a battery but it will maintain it -literally forever. I bought a crate load of them at Harbor Freight for 6 bucks each --
Ive got them on all my toys now --5th Wheel ,three ATVs ,motorcycle, gyro, and Jet Ski--I havent bought a battery for any of these in the past three years --They dont boil off the water and /or overcharge the battery.
Mike I will go to harbor freight and pick one up thanks by the way I don't think I will make the fly n this month to much going on and my aircraft and coach are both down for repairs. I started my 25hr inspection but have not finished and need to find out this battery or chargeing problem.

Mark,

I put a sealed batt. in my machine in Oct. '05 and been maintenace free ever since. I just dust it off once in a while.

It's Part No. 66010-82B, a 28 Amp Hour, that I got at the local Harley Davidson dealer.

Harry thank you for another make of battery to consider. Before make a dicision I want to know whats out their that others have used and what they think.

Cold cranking amps

Cold cranking amps

Mark,

Harry thanks for the Info, I was thinking my self of useing a battery like in my Harley, but did not know what Amp size I need to crank over a Subaru.
what is the dimensions of the battery you have?

anyone know the cold cranking amps needed to start a Subaru?

Last edited:
Hi Tim,

I'm at home right now, can't measure the batt. and the dimensions are not on the literature. It is the same size as the batt. supplied in the RAF kit. Just guessing, I would say maybe 3.5 wide X 6 high X 7 long.

It is a heavy dude tho. Maybe not for a single place. It turns over the soob just too sweet, even on a cool day.

Hi Tim,

I'm at home right now, can't measure the batt. and the dimensions are not on the literature. It is the same size as the batt. supplied in the RAF kit. Just guessing, I would say maybe 3.5 wide X 6 high X 7 long.

It is a heavy dude tho. Maybe not for a single place. It turns over the soob just too sweet, even on a cool day.

Ok thanks harry,I called the harley shop today,they no longer carry in stock the battery you have listed,they did have an interstate battery that is for a dresser,385 CCA at 2.8 amps weighs 22 lbs. $129.99 model X30L

I did see the battery out of my John deere is a sealed battery and it was 400 CCA and weighed 17 pounds.

Ok thanks harry,I called the harley shop today,they no longer carry in stock the battery you have listed,they did have an interstate battery that is for a dresser,385 CCA at 2.8 amps weighs 22 lbs. $129.99 model X30L

I did see the battery out of my John deere is a sealed battery and it was 400 CCA and weighed 17 pounds.

That sounds a bit steep for that type of battery, you should be able to buy one of those helical wound gel cells for that. I would shop around a bit and find a nice dry charged one with the correct dimensions at the Honda shop.

Hey Brandon I put the charger on all day then when out this evening and put my hand on top the alternator and it was as cold as eveything else. so that is not the problem I know its that battery. I found out the the odyssey the hawker and the dyna- batt are direct replacements of each other although the odyssey is the easyest to get locally.

Last edited:
It was worth a try. Have you tried charging the battery and disconnecting the cables. If it still has a full charge tomorrow its not your battery, if the voltage drops then I would say it is the battery.