Basket case Scorpion,what a bargain

animal call me when you have time.talk about the chopper.number 256-504-5440 thanks wayne.

Tim
Mike Sublett is a great guy, and so is the guy in VA.(Bill) that worked on the machine. I know them both. back about 4 years ago i done some tradeing with mike. he ended up with my tig-weilder and I ended up with his corvette. the guy in Va. sent me a rotax 503 to check out for him. it had lots of salt corrosion all over it. and latter on i sent it back to him.
anyway he was keeping me posted along the way as he fixed the scorpion for mike.
Mike tried to get me to buy the gyro's he had for sale, but at the time i was not that interested in what he had for sale.
both are great people. good luck on the project. keep us posted.

Rw-133 Engine delivered today

Rw-133 Engine delivered today

Well the Engine was delivered today. it is a "0" time RW-133 engine.
it will be intresting to see how this works out as they do not make parts for these engines anymore and they were known for problems.

I just hope mike has all the parts for the Turbo as twin carb models where hard to start and keep tuned.

anyway for thoses that have never seen the Rotorway Helicopters RW-133 engine, here are some pics, they are water cooled of course,has a belt driven mag. yeah I know, I don't trust the belt either. it is only about a 1/2" wide toothed belt. single ignition.

they say you don't know what ya had till it is gone.

Man my old 162 powered Scorpion looks better everyday compared to the 133 Scorpion project. but lets face it at the time i had my 162 ,I could not afford to do anything with it anyway.

Attachments

• IM008071.jpg
    IM008071.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IM008072.jpg
    IM008072.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 0
  • IM008073.jpg
    IM008073.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IM008070.jpg
    IM008070.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 0
yeah Stan as long as Mike hold up his side of the deal I plan to get the Scorpion together. now to just make enough to get a set of blades and the carb for the Falcon and a set of better wheels with brakes would be nice..lol

hate to say it the Scorpion very well may be completed before the Falcon,but thats ok becouse I get to play with it also.

the work has begun

the work has begun

Well yesterday I started work on the Scorpion,first thing I did was took the cab off as it was just sitting on the frame and tyed it up in the back corner of the shop out of the way.

then I hoisted the frame up off the ground and installed and torqued tha landing gear bolts.

I also removed the right side rear brace and bead blasted it and will do the same with the left side. so I can primer and paint them.

I also got the main engine mount frame bolted in place. I need to bead blast and paint the lower engine cradle mount.

Still waiting for the rest of the parts and the rest of the plans.

So if anyone has had an intrest in the Rotorway Scorpions,just keep an eye on this thread and you will get to see one built from start to finish.

Attachments

• IM008080.jpg
    IM008080.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IM008083.jpg
    IM008083.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IM008082.jpg
    IM008082.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IM008084.jpg
    IM008084.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 0
Keep posting and let us know how it's going.

Stan I don't know if we will make it or Not ,but mike has mentioned he would like to take it to bensen days. he just wanted me to assemble it and get it running just in primer,then tear it down in the summer to paint, so it's not going to be a pretty build thread.. eekk

but hey looks don't make it fly.

Animal
Did you see that Mike has put the scorpion back up for sale on barnstormers ?
I thought you where going to complet the project for him before he sales it, and in return you could fly it when ever you wanted to !
Whats gong on with that ? hope he is not puling out on you,but if so- it's better now than lat. on your part. It takes a lot of time and work to build a Scorpion 2.

I had the same thing happen to me back in 99. I completly rebuilt a scorpion 2 just like that one (basket case)for a so called freind. took all summer long and lots of nights up till 2 and 3 am, with work the next day as well. and got screwed out of all my labor. I got a (THANK YOU ) out of the deal.Even went to Texas with him to pick it up, took 2 day's off of work just for that, I almost lost my job over that.
He took the completed chopper down on a weekend to Florida and traded it for another plane and some cash-($7500.00) infact. I never seen a dime. all in have is a photo alb. of the hole process as prof. i even put some nice carpet in it as well. the thing was class A job when finished. I even hoverd it right in my driveway. the nabors called the cops on me for that one. it was loud.
Like i said, you might be better to get out now if you dont own it. JMO,
Dont get me wrong,,, Mike is a good guy but sometimes people change thier mines.:boink:

thanks for pointing that out, if he just relisted it, he can come get it, not going to be free storage and labor.

I just Emailed him on barnstormers. you are right.he just relisted it today.looks like I was being used.

Oh well,he still has not even gotten all the parts together.
and I told him the other day that every day he put off was another day I could be working on it.
guess I will go out shortly and lower it off my hoist and put the cab back on it so he can come get it.

Last edited:
I worked my A** off on the one i did,,,

If so you are getting off easy,, that is a blessing.
Hate to see the same happen to you Animal.

Sorry Tim, I know you were very excited about this, good you found out before pouring your heart into it.

Ok Mike called me, he said the add is set up for automatic renewal,and he still wants me to Build it. He said will bring the 133 plans over in the Morning. we will see. but I am going to have him put something in writeing where as if he sells it, I get paid for my work.

He Just E-mailed me and said he removed the add.so it looks like the build is still on.

Last edited:
Trust me Billy, I will be. He did E-mail me and asked if I was intrested in a trade,but as much as i like helicopters, I really don't want a Scorpion. I do have my eye on a Commuter 2B Helicopter and I may test the waters and list the Gyro for sale, if I can sell my bike first. but honestly I would like to finish my gyro. But man I would love to make the Commuter 2B deal work. really always have wanted one, even if I am not rated to fly it yet, it would be worth the wait just to have a helicopter that nice. besides I could always get my business partner to ride me around in it.

Here is a video of a 2B that's just been listed on youtube, you can see why it makes me drool. the is the only footage beside a really crappy DVD I bought from vortech,of a 2B flying I have seen. I like the cab of the 2B better then the safari.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Y6HKheuTqk&feature=related

at any point stay tuned,Mike said he would like to take the Scorpion to sun and fun and bensen days. if he will get the plans and rest of the parts to me I can make it happen.
a Scorpion is really pretty basic just to assemble. it all the rigging and adjustments that take so long. and until the mowing season starts I have plenty of free time.

Last edited:
Some pics of the progress

Some pics of the progress

well I have gotten started on this Scorpion some,got a few things painted and installed. here are a few pics. main rotor shaft and drives.

top engine mount before and after being drilled.

pilots side collective pitch and cyclic controls.

Attachments

• IM008127.jpg
    IM008127.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IM008131.jpg
    IM008131.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IM008129.jpg
    IM008129.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IM008126.jpg
    IM008126.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IM008145.jpg
    IM008145.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IM008148.jpg
    IM008148.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IM008149.jpg
    IM008149.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 0
Well the Engine was delivered today. it is a "0" time RW-133 engine.
it will be intresting to see how this works out as they do not make parts for these engines anymore and they were known for problems.

I just hope mike has all the parts for the Turbo as twin carb models where hard to start and keep tuned.

anyway for thoses that have never seen the Rotorway Helicopters RW-133 engine, here are some pics, they are water cooled of course,has a belt driven mag. yeah I know, I don't trust the belt either. it is only about a 1/2" wide toothed belt. single ignition.

they say you don't know what ya had till it is gone.

Man my old 162 powered Scorpion looks better everyday compared to the 133 Scorpion project. but lets face it at the time i had my 162 ,I could not afford to do anything with it anyway.

Animal,

I never got a clear answer from anyone concerning the 133, the 152 then the 162 RW engines. Are any of these engines VW mods? I'm assuming that the first one, the 133 may have been?

Any new info on this build? I am interested in the Scorpion, but I would like to do quite a few things different. I like the small size of it, but would like a modern rotor head and swashplate, I'd like to run a Mazda Rotary, and have a shaft driven tail. Any idea on how the plans available from Vortech are? I have gathered that they are not the best company to deal with.....is there another source for plans?

Any new info on this build? I am interested in the Scorpion, but I would like to do quite a few things different. I like the small size of it, but would like a modern rotor head and swashplate, I'd like to run a Mazda Rotary, and have a shaft driven tail. Any idea on how the plans available from Vortech are? I have gathered that they are not the best company to deal with.....is there another source for plans?

Mike just sold the Scorpion to a Guy in Ga.

there is a real nice one on E-bay right now with a buy it now price of $11,000 even has the Exec style Rotorhead system. but it still has the 133 engine in it.

this would be a great one to buy and put the 162 engine in, then you would have a nice helicopter, $11,000 is a steal for this one.
here are pics from the add. located in cheraw s.c.

Attachments

• !BTw8CN!BGk~$(KGrHgoH-D0EjlLlyn79BKKHpPfPC!~~_1.JPG
    !BTw8CN!BGk~$(KGrHgoH-D0EjlLlyn79BKKHpPfPC!~~_1.JPG
    18.8 KB · Views: 0
  • !BTw9JOg!Wk~$(KGrHgoH-DsEjlLl1JwPBKKHvf8j0Q~~_1.JPG
    !BTw9JOg!Wk~$(KGrHgoH-DsEjlLl1JwPBKKHvf8j0Q~~_1.JPG
    16.9 KB · Views: 0
  • !BTw8TyQ!mk~$(KGrHgoH-CsEjlLlzPB1BKKHq1TliQ~~_1.JPG
    !BTw8TyQ!mk~$(KGrHgoH-CsEjlLlzPB1BKKHq1TliQ~~_1.JPG
    20 KB · Views: 0
  • !BTw8YyQ!mk~$(KGrHgoH-DoEjlLlzR(4BKKHrUD,G!~~_1.JPG
    !BTw8YyQ!mk~$(KGrHgoH-DoEjlLlzR(4BKKHrUD,G!~~_1.JPG
    22.7 KB · Views: 0
Oh I have seen a Scorpion that had just that type set up in it, it was at Homer bells fly-in I think there are videos of it on you tube. do a search for homer bell fly in.
it looked to fly good with the Mazda.