Basic Med - The new medical certification for PP

mcbirdman

Gold Member
Aircraft
lw3 sp long, lw3 2place long yami
Total Flight Time
Excited to combine the new Basic Med with a physical at our new doctor's office they called us back after scheduling an appointment we just set for May.

It seems that the President of the Family Medical Center has decided not to sign ANY paperwork given to the doctor to fill out regarding a medical. Even though a drivers licence type simplicity is implied, they have not seen it but it doesn't matter. They won't sign anything. I looked at AOPA's site and this is what they say:

AOPA’S Fit to Fly philosophy is about encouraging pilots to see their physician regularly to strengthen the flyer-doctor relationship and allow the BasicMed process to work smoothly.

The doctor's office seems to think that they will in no way allow us to circumvent going to a FAA doctor to determine flight fitness and do not want to sign off as some how being held responsible for their professional medical opinion. What good is a doctor that won't stand behind their work and only push their own papers?

I realize they haven't even seen the papers that will be required but what doctor is going to want to sign papers that are not their own? I was a member of AOPA and probably will be joining in next couple months but I hoped that having the option to choose my own physician and develop a better medical relationship would be a possibility.

Now I am afraid that I have to have my normal doctor and search out another and payout of pocket what should have been a more efficient and friendly situation. I think AOPA not going for the driver licence only qualification has only kept things unfair and complicated. If my new doctor won't be willing to stand by their accessment and expect us to trust them with our lives..... but won't sign a "inventory" checklist.... how good, fair or better is that? Why can't I use my medical insurance to have a doctor that will take care of my medical health and have them simply certify that a physical was performed satisfactorily?

From the conversation they were only concerned that by signing it they are Not FAA recognized and they know the rules are changing but they will not sign something that even seems like they are verifying that I am medically able to fly.

I have no known issues btw, I just want to avoid the possibility of having a non regular doctor require a test that is not part of the coverage my normal doctor could decide would be appropriate. In that case insurence would pay but in the other it would be optional in that if I don't pay out of pocket that I would not fly. This isn't really the reform that was intended. Now all I can do is wait and see what other people do when the changes take effect.

Wonder if AOPA knows that probably all the other doctors are afraid of signing some additional papers?

I think you will find that this will vary considerably from practitioner to practitioner.

My personal physician has already been signing a letter each year about my high blood pressure medication, dosage, treatment results, side effects, lab data, etc., as required by my AME to issue a certificate. He has shown no qualms about doing so, and I expect no resistance to checking a few additional boxes that simply verify that I am in good health. The form is to be retained by me, not sent to the FAA as the current letter is.

My physical exam, for now, is covered for free as preventative care by Obamacare. I would expect to pay an additional fee to the doctor for whatever other work the FAA wants, if any. I have no idea what the Republicans expect to do to that situation, because beyond calling for repeal, they've been pretty quiet on details for the replacement plan.

Thanks, I will call around and see if I can find someone that will work with us. I just can't believe that they refuse to fill out a form because they think it is somehow a responsibiliity that is beyond them because it is somehow circumventing the FAA or that scary flying thing they are afraid of.

Too bad, they expect us to trust them and their decisions and suggestions, blindly follow their paperwork and life and death ideas but not fill out a form that simply records that I had a physical and nothing was found. Ridiculous. They haven't even seen the form, but they refuse it. Now I don't trust them or their reasoning. I hope I can find a doctor I can trust in the Lansing Mi area. I looked forward to a comfortable releationship with a doctor that cared.

Thanks, I will call around and see if I can find someone that will work with us. I just can't believe that they refuse to fill out a form because they think it is somehow a responsibiliity that is beyond them because it is somehow circumventing the FAA or that scary flying thing they are afraid of.

Too bad, they expect us to trust them and their decisions and suggestions, blindly follow their paperwork and life and death ideas but not fill out a form that simply records that I had a physical and nothing was found. Ridiculous. They haven't even seen the form, but they refuse it. Now I don't trust them or their reasoning. I hope I can find a doctor I can trust in the Lansing Mi area.

Along the same lines, I was encouraged because Basic Med was possibly a way for me to rent modern fixed wing machines from my local FBO. This would allow me to introduce my daughter (just became a teen) to the world of aviation.

I was afraid there might be some reluctance from insurance underwriters, based on the same principle the Dr. mentioned used.

I called the Attorney for Phoenix Air (my FBO) and within 5 minutes he called me back with the good news that their underwriter has no problems covering rentals based on the Basic Med aeromedical standards. His exact words..."We'll be glad to rent to you if you meet Basic Med. If it`s good enough for the FAA, it`s good enough for us at Phoenix Air."
air_zpsff0wxi1h.jpg

James, look at doctors that DOT physicals. The paperwork is not that different from the truckers.

Thanks Jeff, that is a great idea. I mean if I was sending a kid to bandcamp, what is the big deal about just answering the questions.... that is what they are just verifying.... that they did their JOB we are paying for. I just wanted to have one doctor, not one I just pay out of pocket for that is only seen for flight. The goal was to improve doctor / pilot care - not distance us. This should be taken the rest of the way intended - like sport pilot. Hopefully this kind of stuff with the reluctance of doctors should express the need for MORE reform. There is no real reason this should not be like sport pilot.

True that is a problem at this time, but it will get better.

Here we have a ER doctor that looking at opening his own clinic and is willing to do the new form.

It eight an oppurtunity for the local FBO or the local flight instructors to educate the local physicians as to the new business potential.

Where can I get a copy of the medical form?

In searching, I have found a description of the form and lots of references to the form, but not the form itself.

Anyone with a Link?