Baronpilots visit to see the Turbinator

Gary, it's easier than you think. The big difference is not having the radial trending that your brain is use to. Once you get over that it is just knowing were to look and what buttons to press. Some of the big benefits is having a built in air data computer that gives you TAS, wind direction and speed, moving map, weather, altitude, airspeed, minimums alerts, etc. Once you learn the system it makes flying much easier.

What is really nice is Synthetic Vision. We will most likely upgrade to that this year. What you would see out the windshield is displayed on the screens. It is a really nice feature.

You kid's and your rock and your role music and your fancy fandangaled flying machines.
Why the last plane I flew only had an altimeter, RPM indicator, airspeed indicator, slip indicator and wet compass and a bent piece of wire with a cork on the end and called it a fuel gage.
And I was damned happy to have that.
Fiddle sticks.

Last edited:
This question may reflect on what Americans were like 60 years ago, but...

aren't Bonanzas narrow inside, like 42 inches? I'm not that large, 6' 220, but those few inches on a long trip make a difference.

Whatever happened to the Commander?

Yea - 42 inches wide, but pretty comfortable seats and tons of baggage room. Plus you sit up with your knees bent unlike a Mooney sitting on the floor.

The Commander is dead again as the newest company folded a few years ago. It really only has one thing going for it: Wide cabin at 48". Other than that it is a 155 knot plane (if you are lucky) on 16 GPH. It has much less rear seat leg room than a Bonanza and less baggage room as well. Most of them only have 1000 lbs or so of useful load as well. They also now have an AD on the rear stab and parts are pretty rare. I owned a 114 some years ago and don't have any desire to own another.

They are a nice flying plane if you don't mind going slow and don't need a lot of useful load.

This question may reflect on what Americans were like 60 years ago, but...

aren't Bonanzas narrow inside, like 42 inches? I'm not that large, 6' 220, but those few inches on a long trip make a difference.

Whatever happened to the Commander?

Pilot's were only supposed to be 170# back then.

Todd- Thanks for posting that video. I was especially interested in the amount of stinger clearance I had during those quick stops. It was right where I was hoping it to be. The more aggressive my quick stop, the higher the flare should be of course. Quick stops are a very useful maneuver to practice as one needs to do these in a real full stop auto. Could you send me a captured frame of one of the last quick stop where the nose is at its highest? Can't wait to see your Helicycle flying Todd. We should have quite a few of them at Mentone this summer! Rochester sells JetA and feel free to share my enclosed hanger they give me each night. Stan

Just photoshop it Stan since everyone here knows you can't really fly a helicopter :)

I will pick out some good stills and email them to you.

Actually...and I may be biased...Bonanza pilots make good gyro pilots. The soft hands required for a Bonanza are exactly what is required for good cyclic control.

Cool V...Beautiful airplane!

To someone else's comment about the "doctor killer..." They are that. They are not an airplane for inexperienced pilots. However, they are not unstable, they are merely slick and fast. They suffer from the same issue that plagues all aircraft that are able to cruise well above control speed. Stupid pilots.

It isn't the same problem as high thrustline or PIO instability in gyros. A Bonanza, or Piper Malibu or others of the same flight characteristics fly very stable and fast...right up to the point a Darwinian pilot jerks the tail or wings off going 50 knots above control speed trying to do a Cessna 152-style maneuver to jerk the nose up out of a dive in a panic.

Oh yeah...Stan...the helicopter was nice too :D

JCarleto - EXACTLY! The Vtail Bonanza is a true high performance plane that is built for someone with some stick time. It is rock solid in all phases of flight and makes a great instrument platform. The problem lies in that performance. It will cruise in level flight right on the yellow line and a 3-4 degree pitch down will put you at the top of the yellow very quickly. The design and flight characteristics are solid. This plane is not like a Gee-Bee, nor can it be compared to a poorly designed gyro that is unstable.

Once you get use to the light touch you will throw stones at other airplanes.

Todd,

You don't have to sell me. I have over 1000 IFR hours Bonanza time in conditions. I wouldn't be comfortable in another single. Mine's a 1956 "G" model. I also had a 1950 "B" model for many years.

If you get a chance, fly a 67-69 V35 or V35A model with a IO-550. Those are the best years for the Vtail. Light airframe with the big motor and the refinements that mattered.

Great job of shooting that video Todd. This was the first time I've had a good look at Stan's ship flying around…cool quick-stops.
I figured Stan probably was flying in his videos…now I have proof he can do it ;).

I was getting the control feel of a friend's vee on a bumpy day and could see the nose yawing on the horizon. My brother-in-law was setting in the back seat….he de-planed looking green and wearing one shoe. I didn't know about the yaw-dampener thingy….

Stan has the quick stop down very well. He is a very smooth and calm stick. I like what I saw in the machine overall and his is a fine example of how one should be built.

I've flown a '68 V35 quite a bit. Nice to have the power. I was actually searching for a '56 when I found the one I have. Power is good, but you can't beat the fuel economy of the old Continental E-series engines (even though they are a pain to maintain). These days, fuel matters more and more.

I've flown a '68 V35 quite a bit. Nice to have the power. I was actually searching for a '56 when I found the one I have. Power is good, but you can't beat the fuel economy of the old Continental E-series engines (even though they are a pain to maintain). These days, fuel matters more and more.

J- Actually, the IO-550 is more efficient than the smaller engine and the stock io-520 in the V35. WIth GAMI injectors you can get 170+ knots all day on 11.5 GPH at 11k ft running lean of peak. LOP operations also give you cylinder head temps under 330 for all cylinders and extends your engine life dramatically. If you want to save even more fuel just throttle it back. The real advantage is on hot and heavy days. 1100 lbs of people, fuel and bags, still yields a 1000 FPM climb to 6k and 700+ to 12k and that is at 125-130 knots indicated.

Last edited: