BarnStormers Spring 2023

OK….OK🙂
‘Had a great weekend……I want to thank all the friends…..old and new for making this get together freakin’ awesome!! Love y’all!🥰
IMG_1708.jpegIMG_1702.jpegIMG_1706.jpegIMG_5485.jpeg
IMG_1502.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1701.jpeg
    IMG_1701.jpeg
    321.8 KB · Views: 19
The flight up from KCUB started late with a weather eye for the 200-mile round day-trip. I had just R&R'd the last of the four (20-yr-old, 10+ yrs on my gyro) exhaust bellows (#3) before heading out and planned on a stopover at Woodward Field in Camden to see my buddy who runs an A&P shop there and to check over the repairs before continuing on.

And there she was. Last two times I've stopped she's been there, and a joy to behold I can say. We chatted. She said she was moving to Texas and we wouldn't see each other again. Then she gave me a nice hat she'd found and been holding on to for me since the last time we saw each other. And that was it. She is married, after all, she said...and it's all one can do. SO this is about 95% of why I was so late getting to the fly-in Saturday, after driving up and back Friday. Here's the other 5%...

Halfway through leg#2 my iPhone flashed a low battery warning. I use it to broadcast a GPS Glympse signal to a friend [just in case]. I also enjoy FltPlan Go iPhone app for brain-dead navigation. Now, WTH? How can I be down on power> So I stopped off at Pageland to see what the trouble was with the charge cable.

As I prepared to take off I noticed a strange glow in the sky...that thing that had been missing for days: the SUN! Seriously, that is exactly how my mind processed it at the time.

As I took off, turned about and headed up to KAFP I hoped the sun would follow. And, by golly, it did catch up with me again at Anson County KAFP shortly after I got there.

Topping up the rear tank I headed home, this time making no stops and often running balls out. Halfway there the clouds were much gone, the sun lightly kissing my cheek while the butt-itis kicked in. Til I found a way to sit on my left cheek and the pain quit. Then the rest of the trip over the abandoned dragstrip, the lakes and quarries, the railroads, the houses and trees, was pure joy.

We really are very, very lucky.

Aren't we.

IMG_8553.1.jpg

Last edited: