Barnett question

gyroplanes

FAA DAR Gyropilot
Aircraft
(1) Air Command, (1) Bensen glider project (1) Air Command 2 place kit, (1) Sycamore gyro
Total Flight Time
Anyone have a prop selection suggestion for a Barnett J4B2using a Continental O-200.

Climb performance is the key issue, top speed not a concern.

Prop

Prop

Tom,

You may want to contact Herman Wimmer. He has a J4B2 with an O-200. He only visits the forum a few times a year so it may take a while to respond. If you can't reach him I can probably dig up an old e-mail address. He was a great help to me when I was building mine.

Larry

Anyone know how the factory is going since Jerry left us? I thought I read that his son was going try and keep supplying parts. It is a shame, when I was there last year Jerry showed me some things he was getting ready to do that would have been very interesting to see developed.

Hi Tom,

Somewhere in the back of my brain, I recall Jerry telling me that the prop on his J4B2 "Rainbow Rider" was 57.5" in diameter with 56" of pitch. With that prop, Jerry said that he would cruise at 85 mph at about 2500 rpm, and experienced a 500 fpm rate of climb.

Vance Breese has recently picked up another prop from Greg Catto of Catto Propellers for his Predator Gyroplane. I'm sure Greg could give you the best information on the right prop to obtain the climb performance you desire.

Take a look at Greg's website and give him a call

http://www.cattoprops.com

Wayne

Hi,

I am also interesting, does Jerry´s Son continue business, If anyone know something, it would be nice to hear. I build J4B2 and i need prerotator at least.

BR
Sami [

QUOTE=okikuma;333243]Hi Tom,

Somewhere in the back of my brain, I recall Jerry telling me that the prop on his J4B2 "Rainbow Rider" was 57.5" in diameter with 56" of pitch. With that prop, Jerry said that he would cruise at 85 mph at about 2500 rpm, and experienced a 500 fpm rate of climb.

Vance Breese has recently picked up another prop from Greg Catto of Catto Propellers for his Predator Gyroplane. I'm sure Greg could give you the best information on the right prop to obtain the climb performance you desire.

Take a look at Greg's website and give him a call

http://www.cattoprops.com

Wayne[/QUOTE]

I am very interested in Barnett's Coupe and I am curious as to why there is not much mention made on this Forum. From what I have been able to learn, it has a good safety record and has been around for a long time.

Frank

I am very interested in Barnett's Coupe and I am curious as to why there is not much mention made on this Forum. From what I have been able to learn, it has a good safety record and has been around for a long time.

Frank

Unless I'm mistaken, the Coupe is the newest of Jerrie's designs. I think there were only 3 or 4 built and all were lost in crashes. Correct me if I'm wrong. I don't think any of the crashes were attributed to the design and only one was fatal.

I saw 2 Coupe's last year when I was there. The orignal Green one, and the Yellow one that was from Colorado. The Green one had an engine out last summer and tried for a road instead of the field under them. No one was hurt that I can remember. Don't know about any other crashes or any other Coupes.

Barnett Coupe

Barnett Coupe

Shortly Before Jerrie's death, he had discontinued the 2 seat side-by-side BRC 540 Coupe with the welded steel frame. The new body moulds were completed and he was just getting ready to roll out the first of the new coupes that were a 4 seat gyro. (2 seated in front and 2 in rear). The new airframe was all aluminum and bolt together.

Tow, you will do just fine with a 5 bladed warp drive propeller. However my choice is the Prince Propeller.

I saw 2 Coupe's last year when I was there. The orignal Green one, and the Yellow one that was from Colorado. The Green one had an engine out last summer and tried for a road instead of the field under them. No one was hurt that I can remember. Don't know about any other crashes or any other Coupes.

At least one previously-registered amateur-built BRC540 was picked up by the Piasecki firm and used in a variety of tests for an Army UAV program. I believe they pranged it at one point without serious injuries. The Army program, a real mess that envisioned over a dozen different UAV models in service, ran into the buzzsaw of financial reality and I don't know what happened to the Piasecki proposal.

Yes, same Piasecki that sold the helicopter company to Boeing almost 40 years ago! The Chinook's great-grandpappy.

cheers

-=K=-

Uav

Uav

Piasecki still has the white Barnett BRC 540. However it is mothballed away in a warehouse like in the Indiana Jones movies. Piasecki used the Barnett to develop the remote controlled steering systems for UAV aircraft, and they expected to get a sizeable UAV contract. However they were screwed and I beleive Boeing got the contract. The green BRC 540 in California was indeed damaged on an engine out landing when the right landing gear collapsed. The green BRC 540 was rebuilt in about two weeks by Jerrie Barnett. It was being prepared for a sale to the Philippine Military. The yellow BRC 540, that was also at Jerrie Barnett's in California did indeed get shipped to the Philippines.

Attachments

• 5.bmp
    134.5 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Flying the BRC 540 was always a pleasure. The BRC 540 had a gentle lift-off at 45 mph.The mast plates are a slightly little bit different than the J4B2 in order to achieve the 7-8 degrees nose down in the hang test. The only problem I ever had with the flight characteristics of the BRC 540 was during flight with only one occupant. WIth no passenger in the right seat, I had to constantly SLOW DOWN TO 100 mph. Between 100 and 120 mph the aircraft would have a tendancy to want to bank to the left. (The side the pilot is sitting on).

Yello BRC 540

Yello BRC 540

Photo of The Yellow BRC 540 before departure to the Philippines.

Attachments

• Picture 002.jpg
    Picture 002.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 5
Skypuppy, what engine were you flying with to take that ship over the 100 mph mark?
I read about a lot of ships under 100 but very few above it. I know Jerrie claimed over
100 cruise and a ceiling of 15,000. Did you ever push it to those limits? Just courious.
Lance

The engine was the Subaru 2.2 in the yellow BRC 540. The engine in the Green BRC 540 was a Lycomming 180 hp, however I never pushed either aircraft to Jerrie's top speed (claimed by Jerrie) of 150 mph. 110 to 120 cruise was fine for local test flights around the Barnett facility. Any faster and you got too far away from the airport if a malfuction occurred (only had to learn that ONCE) plus you were quickly in Sacremento's airspace.

Last edited:
Prince Prop

Prince Prop

Thought I woul;d throw in a photo of a J4B2 with the Prince Prop.

Attachments

• 2009_0101J4B20015.jpg
    2009_0101J4B20015.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 10