Bandit Gyroplane

j4flyer

I thought Jim or Chucks design was simple and a good example of out of the box designing. I’ve only seen it once on a lightening gyro. But, it seemed to work very well. There’s a wealth of talent in the gyro community. Maybe Jim will bring it back or supply plans and parts.

Supermotive

Brian in this case looks are deceiving. The single place Bandit is probably one of the easiest Gyros for a newbie to fly. The Gyro was never built without a large horizontal stab. We equipped all of our Gyros with them when the status quo were telling us they weren’t necessary. Having flown many designs I can honestly say you would probably be very surprised by the single place.
Joe went on to build a two place Gyro. Because of the requirement by buyers for a center line thrust gyro, Joes two place was built using that concept. Having flown both, I thought the two place was a poor design. The stability enhancement wasn’t noticeable and the Pilot and Passenger lost the roll cage protection of the single place.
I’m currently bringing a Bandit back to flying condition. Mine will have a C-85 for power which differs from the original Bandit. This Gyro was built by Joe and Bob Aspegren. Bob went on to design and fly his own design.
Anyway, I hope this post sheds a new light on these Gyros. The single place is very safe and stable. The two place, not so much.
Also, Jim Vanek designed a hand crank prerotator that worked very well.
I would love to have the plans for this machine. Perhaps a CLT redesign could be baked in to this machine.