Backpack Gyro

Wiplash

Todd Noble
Aircraft
Air Command 582 LowRider w/stab
Total Flight Time
Gyro - 101 as of 7-10-16
That guy is either nuts or has nuts the size of bowling balls...

Bruno

Aircraft
None
Total Flight Time
None
Both. And may have been fueled by a dram or two of vodka.

Nevertheless, a fascinating exercise.

BobK

Aircraft
in my design dreams
Total Flight Time
Ok Ok so I got here a little late...

I would have loved a RRPM gauger, AoA indicator, and a strain (weight) scale on the rope. Where's the data when someone else did the experiment dammit! If it were my lab I'd get a big ol fat stinkin F.. For Fly? ;-) But if we're talking light, why not make the birotor frame out of a pair of airfoil shaped arches. It might be the first time a frame for a gyro wasn't just weight & drag. Sure it's got to weigh something, but what if it created high speed lift to unload & feather the rotors? What if the rotors could be feathered to differential speed & reach across the wind with differential speed converted to thrust (AC or pulsed E-motors). In the video do you think the stick was on the right for Mr. Righty or to aid in differential of lift from advancing vs. retreating blade lift? I sort of like the shock unicycle wheel with 4 retractable legs to aid in tip over (2 in the front attached to the canard & one from each rotor hub). Any flared landing, slow with zero forward speed would foot land fine, unicycles in a cross wind somewhat more touchy. Automatic adaptive redundant control with ultralight weight in mind completely feasible. Not a cheap Ipad app, but if there are a lot of these ultra light flying bikes, the control has UHF/FRS airborne intranet ATC or I'll stay on the safe ground & drawing board for now thank you. And I can say two arches make a pretty good kite in low to moderate winds (no rotors, 3 string). Models shows PoC, but full size changes ideas and the future of flight.