Backpack Gyro

Cobra Doc

Senior Trouble Maker
Aircraft
Senior Telemaster, Schluter Moskito
Total Flight Time
25,000 instrument approaches
Bob, all I was saying in #13 is "Why not?". The people most likely to accomplish the impossible are the ones that don't know it's impossible. Unfortunatly for Michael, he already asked and now knows it's impossible. Like I used to tell my girlfriends "If you really don't want to know the truth, don't ask!!" What would have happed if Bell told Edison the lightbulb was impossible? We would have to change the candle in the computer monitor every single day, that's what! I haven't figured out how the hard drive flashy light would work, yet.

Last edited:

mgber

only thoes who will risk going too far can possiably find out how far one can go-T.S.Eliot

giro5

Aircraft
prev- citabria,AA1b, fun racer
Total Flight Time
400 GA, 50 trike
Hey don't you guys have a vortech catalog. The MEG-2HX is a helicopter version. For only 29.95 you can get a CD-ROM with construction prints, hover test video. photos etc. Just order item # XCD2025 or order the kit for $12,995. Why have a gyro when you can have a manpack helicopter!

Cobra Doc

Senior Trouble Maker
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
Michael, ignore everyone that said it can't be done and go build one.

Friendly

Platinum Member
Aircraft
KB2 & KB4
Total Flight Time
video

video

Michael
I have a video of one flying in ground effect with two opposing rotors. I will try to find it, but I have to leave for work so it maybe a couple of days before I can even find it. It was barley flying in ground effect.

mgber

Cobra Doc said:
Michael, ignore everyone that said it can't be done and go build one.
I plan too. and I am not meaning a helicopter, thoes already exist (Pentacost is one u.s. military example)

Bob Simmons

Aircraft
582 air command elite/ upgraded
Total Flight Time
60 hours in gyro's
Michael old buddy

Michael old buddy

draw us a picture of this back pack motorized gyro that has a tripod and wheels. here's a magical question for you: would you be suspended in the backpack and only stand on the tripod/wheels during take off and landing? hey old buddy....... you might as well put a seat on it if your going to go through all the trouble of putting everything else on it. note : it's not really a back pack gyro with all that you have mentioned to make this idea work.

it would be known as the tripod gyro with wheels that you strap into.:eek: Hmmmmm? keep the dream going. love you man:)

PS. LOOK INTO THE TRACTOR GYRO.........................its close to what i understand you are trying to say.

mgber said:
once again there would be WHEELS for take-off and landing on a tripod-like talidrager

Last edited:

Friendly

Platinum Member
Aircraft
KB2 & KB4
Total Flight Time
Videos

Videos

Michael
I found the video. It was named hubschraubman. You might be able to do a search or give me you email and I will email the video to you

dragonflyerthom

Platinum Member
Aircraft
RAF 2000 GTX SE
Total Flight Time
183FW 132Gyro
Bob

It seems that no matter what you say, it will not dissuade him from his idea. Talk to the hand if you know what I mean.

Thom

mgber

Bob Simmons said:
draw us a picture of this back pack motorized gyro that has a tripod and wheels. here's a magical question for you: would you be suspended in the backpack and only stand on the tripod/wheels during take off and landing? hey old buddy....... you might as well put a seat on it if your going to go through all the trouble of putting everything else on it. note : it's not really a back pack gyro with all that you have mentioned to make this idea work.

it would be known as the tripod gyro with wheels that you strap into.:eek: Hmmmmm? keep the dream going. love you man:)

PS. LOOK INTO THE TRACTOR GYRO.........................its close to what i understand you are trying to say.
the term backpack is only by looks. you would seem to be suspended to bystanders. this is almost exactly what I was thinking. will work on pic

Master Roda

The Jedi
This is something synonymous to strapping yourself to a rocket.

What happens when your going say 65 MPH? Your legs dangle behind you? What then? All that hardware to keep your body in the direct path of bugs and birds?

TRY SKYDIVING!

Jon

scott heger

Custom-made Troublemaker
Aircraft
SportCopter Bell 206L-1
Total Flight Time
Even if.... you could get the blades spun up with out damage...

Even if.... you could take off and fly it....

Even if.... you could land it.....

There is no way in hell you could get the blades stopped (I really doubt you could get them rotated to flight speed or started either)once you touched earth again without bending them up. There is way too much arm movement and energy involved to be supported by a persons legs.

Scott Heger, Laguna Niguel, Ca N86SH

Bob Simmons

Aircraft
582 air command elite/ upgraded
Total Flight Time
60 hours in gyro's
whew!!

whew!!

Thanks Scott, Man......... he's a hard one to love and understand. :eek:

scott heger said:
Even if.... you could get the blades spun up with out damage...

Even if.... you could take off and fly it....

Even if.... you could land it.....

There is no way in hell you could get the blades stopped (I really doubt you could get them rotated to flight speed or started either)once you touched earth again without bending them up. There is way too much arm movement and energy involved to be supported by a persons legs.

Scott Heger, Laguna Niguel, Ca N86SH

Cobra Doc

Senior Trouble Maker
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
Why do I picture a Bee without a seat?

Bruno

Aircraft
None
Total Flight Time
None
it has been proven by

osha that you can only last a short amount of time in this harness like this

before you die from poor circulation of blood ( it becomes poison to the

body). the same thing happens to a person that has been in a cave-in. it

cuts the blood off and poisons the person when the weight is removed from

the body and the blood re-circulates.

How come hang gliders can fly for hours without experiencing this? They also hang suspended in a harness.

mike, it all has to do with how much weight your trying to pick up that is strapped in to this gyro back pack. it also has to do with how much weight a pilot can hold up and control.
The pilot does not really have to carry a lot of weight on his back. Google for "foot launched powered hang glider" and you will see how those guys have solved the issue. It's a pretty neat trick -- all the heavy parts are carried on what is a kind of a mini-trailer behind the pilot.

In effect, you'd only have to carry the mast and the rotor. And, once the rotor is spinning at a notable speed, it supports itself. No weight.

The basic backpack gyro would thus have a hang-glider-style triangle with a rotor-head on the apex. The pilot would also hang from the apex in a harness.

He'd wear a backpack that contains the engine, prop, tank, keel, rudder and h-stab. The 'backpack' would rest on a pair of wheels or skids. Hang gliders use retractable wheels/skids, too, so that they have a more aerodynamic package in flight.

They land in a flare very similar to a gyro landing flare, practicaly into a spot -- maybe do a few forward steps.

I am not saying this is truly a feasible layout for a gyro -- I just don't know enough to claim anything, but I think it's worth thinking about.

See the picture of the foot-launched powered hang-glider layout and think about it.

Last edited:

Bruno

Aircraft
None
Total Flight Time
None
Here's a picture of another model -- just the 'backpack' part containing the engine, prop, tank and retractable 'legs' with wheels. Note that the prop is folded. Many powered hang-gliders use folding props, because they mostly use power to take off and climb. Once they are at a sufficient attitude and start catchnig thermals, they switch the engine off and glide.

ruxpin76

How about giving the pilot some off-road rollerblades (yes, they exist), and turn his/her legs into the landing gear? He or she would still have to be a daredevil/suicidal to try it, but I know I'd consider it... :)