Azusa mains on a Dominator single?

I can't speak for the others, but speaking for myself I want to switch because I can.
Even if the modification isn't Ronnie Approved. Or maybe because it isn't Ronnie Approved!
That's the great thing about experimental - we are free to make choices.

Larry,

I have the wheels that Barry had on the dominator if you want them. Wheels, tires, drums and bands, even the front wheel if you would want that. If you are interested, let me know. We can work something out on price, I haven't thought about that part of it.

Scott, what did you put on it? Ski's?

Heck yes, ski's in the winter, floats in the summer.

I seriously put it on the RFD standard trailer and wheelbarrow wheels and tires. I felt they were stronger and lighter and the mains were narrower than barrys setup, so less drag.

Now on the tandem, it has RFD stuff and I just added a tail skid.:D

I can't speak for the others, but speaking for myself I want to switch because I can.
Even if the modification isn't Ronnie Approved. Or maybe because it isn't Ronnie Approved!
That's the great thing about experimental - we are free to make choices.

Dude, your the smartass of all smart asses. Go put tank tracks on it for all I give a dam. I just asked a simple question. There has to be a reason you want to change the wheels, and I wanted to know why... was it looks, was it weight, was it something else, etc...

Ive personally had them both. Had wheelbarrow wheels on my first and 3rd dominator and had asuzas on my 2nd. To be honest, I never had a issue out of the asuzas, just had to replace the tires once. Never had a issue out of the wheelbarrow wheels either other than having to replace the bearings in them once on the two place at around 130 hours TTSN. Davey Seace mentioned the stock bearings in those wheels don't hold up long, he sold me some better quality replacements, and never had another issue with it.

Knock yourself silly and change them, I don't care.

Last edited:
Whew!
Thanks for your permission, Ronnie.
Now I can move forward with the project.

band brakes

band brakes

Larry hope this helps, when using Azusa 4.5 bands on the tri star I
Suggested cast spacer option about 7/8 if you were using 4 inch bands before you will
Have modify your band pivot post on the main gear, I would encourage you
Use the precision ¾ bearings (they are special). Note The normal 3/4 wheel bearings O.D. Will not work on the tri star.

I have also welded the azusa 4.0 shaft locking band drum to the wheel barrow wheels
Then powder coated them, bored to fit the precision ¾ bearings the only advantage
Really, is you can get aggressive when trying to mount these Chinese tires we get These days

My reason for converting over to alum tri star they have slight taper toward center
Makes easier to install and service with poorer quality tires available to us. How many
Builders out there have tried to assemble the nylon Azusa wheels these day
they just don’t last it’s such trauma to assemble you will find them flat next time You go fly.

The Azusa 8” the powered parachute guys turned me on to the adapter for disk
Brakes I think Belite sells them also

Attachments

• Azusa8disc.jpg
    Azusa8disc.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 1
  • Azusa4.51.jpg
    Azusa4.51.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 1
  • Azusa4.52.jpg
    Azusa4.52.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 1
  • Whbarrow4.01.jpg
    Whbarrow4.01.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 1
  • Whbarrow4.02.jpg
    Whbarrow4.02.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 1
  • percision.7501.jpg
    percision.7501.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 1
  • percision.7502.jpg
    percision.7502.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 1
larry

consider making drill fixture help with layout you need small piece 1 1/8 x .058 tubing
split in half now cut piece of 3/8 x .065 enough as if you were mounting brake band make and or adjust wheel bearing stops weld 3/8 tube match parallelism relation to the axle adjust your brake position clamp drill thru 3/8x.065 drill bit by all means check the angle you can open the hole many ways I go head remove gear leg and cut it in the mill.

welding I've noticed tends pull or draw up, I would clamp with something to hold parallel if doesn't no big deal adjust it while its still hot

good luck with your project