Awsume Ride In A Rv8

dabkb2

Dave Bacon
Aircraft
Sport Copter Vortex 582, 2 KB2 90Mac KB3 582
Total Flight Time
529 hours
I did some work for a guy who has a RV8 and he offered me a flight, so I said let's go. WOW what a ride, John took off and said you got it, I said I got it. I've got about 3 hours, PIC in a 1967 Cessna 150, this was nothing like that. It flies more like a gyro, a stick instead of a yok, and you just think about moving it and it moves. I was climbing good but we had patchy clouds at 4000 ft, so he said I got it. We were climbing at 2000 ftpm and it only got worse at 6000 ft John decided to stay below the clouds and put us in a dive at 200 knts 3000 fpm. We were really covering some ground fast. We got down to a good flight path, and he said you got it, we were cruising at 120mph at 2000 rpm and it felt really good. I cruised around for a while, back to the airport and John said I got it. He did a fly by over the runway at about 10 ft going 190knts, things were flying past really fast. At the end of the runway he pulled us into a 4g climb. WOW I was not excepting that. John went around and landed. I almost wanted one till he told me it took him 2 years to build and almost 100,000$$$. It really opened my eyes to what flight is all about, but I still think there is nothing that can compete with a gyro. 200 knts is good but there is nothing like doing circles over people at 150 ft. All in all I still love my gyro.

I'm guessing you had the famous "RV Grin" when you were done :D

Everything Van's makes is awesome.

Cheers,
Rusty (built two RV-8's and an RV-3, selling Dominator for an RV-12 kit)

13brv3

13brv3

Ya the smile has not left my face yet. What is an RV12?

Last edited:
Rv 12

Rv 12

Ya the smile has not left my face yet. What is an RV12?

Van's RV 12 is the new Sport Pilot eligible 2 seater (low wing) kit he just debuted at Oshkosh. The prototype is built and beautiful but I think he is still tweaking it and not quite selling kits yet. I am sure it will be a great fixed wing aircraft. But since I can barely afford one I am going to have do stay with my Gyro for now. But if I had the money I would love to have an RV 12 too!!!

Gyro Doug

Last edited:
The only thing I did not like about it was that it was a tail dragger, but I'm sure I could get used to it

Most of the RVs are available either way. Few of the RV-8s have been built as the tri-gear RV-8A version, though. More common on the -6 and -7.

I don't think the RV-9 is available with a tailwheel and I know the RV-10 isn't.

Know your RVs:

RV-1, -2: early one-offs. The RV1 was actually another guy's design.
RV-3/3A: small, single-seat.
RV-4: small, tandem. Discontinued, I think. Jon Johanson flew one around the world -- three times, and over both poles.
RV-6/6A: side-by-side, most popular of the RVs. Discontinued
RV-7/7A: Improved RV-6, tail slightly different, most improvements in manufacturing.
RV-8/8A: Larger tandem 2-seater. Has best resale value relative to build cost, because it was not available as a quick build until very recently.
RV-9: Similar to RV-6A but made for gentler handling, not aerobatic, takes less power, a fun-flyer.
RV-10: Four-seater RV.
RV-11: motorglider project. Hanging fire, I think.
RV-12: LSA project. Will be kitted Real Soon Now.

I think that will be Dick Van Grunsven's last design. I hear he's been wanting to retire.

There's a reason that over 5,000 RVs have flown (more than many certified aircraft). The machines are conservatively designed, tolerably easy to construct, and offer good all-round performance. The company is completely ethical in its dealings, too. If you build to the plan your machine will make the factory numbers, or a touch higher.

cheers

-=K=-

I'm guessing you had the famous "RV Grin" when you were done :D

Everything Van's makes is awesome.

Cheers,
Rusty (built two RV-8's and an RV-3, selling Dominator for an RV-12 kit)

I didn't see it listed for sale anywhere. Kinda hard to believe you are already selling it!!!!:eek:hwell:

I didn't see it listed for sale anywhere. Kinda hard to believe you are already selling it!!!!:eek:hwell:

Hi Ron,

The Dominator isn't listed anywhere yet, but I do plan to sell it when the RV-12 kit comes out. It's not really that hard to believe either. At least it doesn't surprise anyone who knows me.

Cheers,
Rusty

Rusty,
You'll need something to fly while you're building. Whatever measely amount you'll get from selling the Dominator will barely be a drop in the bucket for that RV project. ;) You should just keep it.

Rusty,
You'll need something to fly while you're building. Whatever measely amount you'll get from selling the Dominator will barely be a drop in the bucket for that RV project. ;) You should just keep it.

Hi Tim,

Actually, the RV-12 kit will be about the same price as what I'd hope to get for the Dom, and I already have the RV-12 engine, so it's a wash.

As for something to fly, I have the keys, insurance, and an open invitation to fly a friend's RV-8 whenever I want to :D

Rusty

Something tells me that Rusty ain't the flying type.... seems like he is more of the builder type. Can't see any reason to keep building them and selling them so soon to start building another !

13brv3

13brv3

If you like building that is great, but there is nothing that compares to the gyro's pure flying experince.

RVs are fun little airplanes I agree.

Just for discussion, there's a couple of gentlemen in North Las Vegas who have developed a Belted PSRU and installed a Chevy 4.3L Vortec V-6 engine in a RV6.

I'll be in Vegas next month for the Nellis AFB Airshow and I will visit these guys and their RV-6

Take a look.

Wayne

http://www.beltedair.com