Awash with Spam

Steve_UK

Aircraft
I'm not a pilot but have been lucky enough to fly in Mi-24 Hind, Mi-2, Mi-17, Lynx HAS3, Gliders, GA
Currently we seem to be deluged with Spam related messages.

Anything the Mods can do to raise the entry bar a little - qualifying questions maybe, initial first few posts in Mod qurrentine or similar

Thanks

XXavier

Aircraft
FW Savannah XL + ELA R-100 and Magni M24 autogyros
Total Flight Time
1394 FW + 526 gyro (Oct. 2019)
It's annoying, yes, but some spam can be tolerated if that's the price for the forum being alive... Access to the forum should not be made difficult, in my opinion...

Brian Jackson

Platinum Member
Aircraft
GyroBee Variant - Under Construction
I wonder if the forum can simply reject any subject lines that start with http:\\ That seems to be the majority of the spam posts.

GyroRon

Former Gyro know it all
Aircraft
Waiex/3300 Jab, Phantom UL, Flightstar II UL
Total Flight Time
ALOT
Im no longer a moderator or whatever, so I can't do anything about it. Gyromike needs to get to work!

Brian Jackson

Platinum Member
Aircraft
I'm on it!
I gotta do a little research on how this new forum works for spammers.
Thanks for looking into this, Mike. This is such a great new board that it'd be a shame to have it blemished by scams and peddlers. Unfortunately they outnumber the legitimate New Posts some mornings,

ToddP

Administrator
Staff member
Aircraft
Dominator Gyro / RV9
Total Flight Time
500 Hours
Sorry, I was in Mexico for a few days. Really getting hit lately. I'll work with the tech guys on a solution.

Alan_Cheatham

This is what caused the problem that prompted the change to the unpopular forum update, as long as the forum has open enrollment these clowns will keep up their attack.

Kevin_Richey

Yamaha gyro...Oregon, USA
Aircraft
Sport Copter gyroplane
Total Flight Time
300+ gyroplane, 11 airplane, 1.5 PPC, AND... a ZILLION hours of flying in my dreams!
Great idea, Alan!
That works wonderfully!

Brian Jackson

Platinum Member
Aircraft
One work around if you see spam is to click on the posters icon and choose to Ignore, then all their posts will not appear to you.
I have 30 on the ignore list so far but it's like playing Whack-A-Mole, except they generally only post once. So there is a flood of new accounts.

Tyger

Aircraft
Magni M16
Total Flight Time
It's pointless to "ignore" when they use a new account every time. Simplest is for Admin to verify it's an actual person before allowing to post.

Alan_Cheatham

It's pointless to "ignore" when they use a new account every time. Simplest is for Admin to verify it's an actual person before allowing to post.
Agreed but "Ignore" is all the general users have at our disposal for now.

I don't know how many new members would be applying per day but I could see it would be very time consuming for the Administrators to personally approve every new applicant. Hopefully some sort of automated solution can be found.

Tyger

Aircraft
Magni M16
Total Flight Time
I can't imagine there are all that many legit new members applying each day (or even each week). In any case, can it really be more time consuming than cleaning up the mess the spammers make AFTER gaining access?

ToddP

Administrator
Staff member
Aircraft
Dominator Gyro / RV9
Total Flight Time
500 Hours
I spend less time working on this than you guys spend commiserating about it. We get hit for a couple days and you'd swear to god the end of the world is near. There are verification controls in place. In spite of that, sometimes they still get through. As soon as we see one, we delete them, their post and their account.

IT'S NOT THE END OF THE WORLD

Tyger

Aircraft
Magni M16
Total Flight Time
Nobody said it was the end of the world... just wondering how best to mitigate the problem.

Smack

Re-member?
Aircraft
Kitfox IV / F1 Rocket / Magni M-16 / Beech 18
Total Flight Time
500+
Todd, thank you for the admin work that you do.
For me, the frustration is that the spammer's posts are the top one in whatever topic they pick.
I generally only scroll through the 'latest' of most recent for each catagory.
If a spammer is in the most recent spot, I might be missing some other legitimate post.
I know, that's on me, but that's part of the annoyance with spam.
Brian