Aviomania Single seat, very stable Gyro, Video

I think you guy's did great with the filming and your mean machine. Enjoyed the ride, it was fun watching you play in the sand.

Thank you Russ.

This is what sport flying is.... having fun!!! Let us all Have SAFE flying fun

Congratulations Nicolas you appear to have done a fine job and built a great machine.

It was good to see you really enjoying the flying. Certainly a very convincing demonstration of faith in the stability of the design.

I would be most interested in your search for a good light prerotator for the Dragon Wings

Congratulations Nicolas you appear to have done a fine job and built a great machine.

It was good to see you really enjoying the flying. Certainly a very convincing demonstration of faith in the stability of the design.

I would be most interested in your search for a good light prerotator for the Dragon Wings

Thank you Leigh (Resasi).

I have few ideas that i will try for a light prerotator (time permiting... i am to busy :( now)

Ive been following you guys for some time now and as a manufacturer of Larry Neals T tail, I must say, I personally love the tails you guys produce.

I have watched and enjoyed all your videos.

Congratulations it is a fine ship.

Mitch.

Thank you Very much Mitch. I always try to make something which is functional but.. to look good as well.

Last edited:
Beautiful work, Nicolas! It appears this gyro is built to meet your mission - flying low level off of sand runways. I can see you guys are having lots of fun. There are only two things that separate this gyro from perfect - IMHO. They are - a tall tail to minimize prop rolling torque (a safety issue), and a couple more feet of moment on the stab for added pitch damping and improved response with no power. Both can be done with same structure and minimum, if any, added weight.

Good job :wave:

The long HS, as can be seen from attached photo, acts as tall tail too.
The rolling torque doesnt exist since air doenst know if it hits tall tail or long HS. (Acktually the HS is longer than a tall tail)
As you can see from the video ( the first twenty seconds) where Nic flys the gyro att high attitude and almost at zero airspeed, throttles back and later full throttle again theres is no signs of prop rolling torque. The body follows the rotorblades harmonically and continues to fly straight and level. Of course this is not the correct way to check the rolling torque.

Attachments

• t2.JPG
    t2.JPG
    100.7 KB · Views: 0
Helo Nicolas and Giorgos..!
Is that a gyro good for beginers as me.....and other newbees..?
We are some friends in swedish rotorflygklubben building the "Humla"...bumbelbee.
I like the stab on your gyro...and would like to build the same on my bumblebee.
Is that recomendable...?
regards...Peter from Sweden

Helo Nicolas and Giorgos..!
Is that a gyro good for beginers as me.....and other newbees..?
We are some friends in swedish rotorflygklubben building the "Humla"...bumbelbee.
I like the stab on your gyro...and would like to build the same on my bumblebee.
Is that recomendable...?
regards...Peter from Sweden

Hello Peter.

I have been flying George's aircomand a lot before we built this gyro & after couple of months flying this Aviomania GS1sa, Today I flew Georges airocammnd gyro again........

I have to say that it required much more work to fly it accurately than the GS1sa.

So.... yes, this gyro is very suitable for low time pilots. i have made plans for it and we will built another one from the plans to see how everything fits together.

Do not misunderstand me..... this gyro will not teach you to fly.... YOU NEED PROPER DUAL TRAINING. It is just VERY easy and very comfortable to fly. It is very firm in its flying path, the nose does not wonder left and right or up and down, it just flies with the stability of a FW.

Only if you fly it you can really understand the deference.

if you use our tail on a bee then you will need to change the AOA of the HS (very easy to do) according to HTL offset of your gyro.

Nicolas, your gyro is one of the best designs yet. I for one, would be interested in plans for the frame and tailfeathers. Thank you, Mike Hughes 321-795-0122

I am not axaggerating but, flying this gyro you have a feeling that it knows to fly itself better than pilot. It corrects itself before any help from pilot.
What I want to say once more is just how right Jack Beaty and Dog Reley are regarding tails.
Giorgos

Nicolas, your gyro is one of the best designs yet. I for one, would be interested in plans for the frame and tailfeathers. Thank you, Mike Hughes 321-795-0122

Thank you Mike.

The tailfeathers will have to be purchased ready because it will be difficult to be built easily with out a mold. you can choose to build an aluminium ruder if you don't want to buy the composite one. ( as the prototype)

pod, fuel tank, welded nose wheel assembly, control stick) will be optional because there will be details on the plans for DIY. nose wheel, stick and everything else on the plans will be bolted aluminium, no need for welding.

As i said before we are building ( a friend of mine) one from plans so i prefer to Wait couple of months till it will be finished to see if there is a problem in the plans and then supply to other people. I would not like it if i have to say... change that after you started building.

i am building an all aluminium tall tail ( but i do not have the time to finish it now) which will eventually be included in the plans ( after we test it and we are satisfied with it) so you will have an option for the tail.

Price will be as low as possible for everything.. (covering the costs) .....the purpose of this design is to be available as a safe cheap gyro. If i ever decide that i want to make money out of gyros i will be suppling kits.. :)

we are testing deferent rotors now so... we will be recommending suitable rotors for it as well on the plans with details on there handling and performance.

as soon as i will be ready to release the plans i will let everybody know

Nicolas, Thank you for the quick response. My search for the best design has been long, so I will be happy to see your plans. I have all the major components already. Thanks again, Mike Hughes.

Nicolas,

How much does the composite tail weigh?
Also, do you think one of these could be built that meets the U.S. ultralight weight limit?

It is a fascinating design Nicolas and a very good looking gyro. By the photo my estimate this is over 254 but a good question by Mike, could it be slimmed down to ultralight. I remember Nicolas saying that it was his intention to produce one that would meet those specs and wondering if that is still his intention

Certainly would be interested in finding out about plans when you are ready Nicolas, and that pod looks a very good shape indeed. Not only more comfort for the pilot but could improve the drag of the airframe with a pilot sitting bolt upright with no streamlining.

Have you had any luck with finding a light prerotator design for your DW's yet?

Nicolas,

How much does the composite tail weigh?
Also, do you think one of these could be built that meets the U.S. ultralight weight limit?

Also, can the tail be mounted on a level keel like a normal Bensen?

Thank you all for the kind words.

The gyro was weighted as soon as it was finished and it had the pod, a C gearbox with a 4 bladed heavy warpdrive prop, a small battery, Azusa steel brakes it was about 20-22 lbs above the limit. The tail was a wet lay up with aluminium (.0125in thick) spars as well as filler to fill the cloth weave.

The tails that will come out of the molt should be lighter,

I will know the plans built gyro weight with the tail that will come out of the mold as soon as the other one is finished. I am of to the UK in few days ( i have to go and convert a UK inspectors license to EASA and get a higher instructors rating) and i will be back after the 15th of October, so it will take couple of months (if everything goes well) for the other one to be ready.

I thing that it will be possible to be built as an FAR 103 legal ultralight ( i hope it will include the pod) :)

IF i manage to fly it again before i leave i will weight it now that has the B gearbox and a 3 blade prop and let you know the weight.

as far as prerotator i am trying to built an electric one using all the latest technology in brushless motors. What i have on hand is not very expensive and it is very light. i have to machine some more parts and test it out. if it will give me up to ~100 RRPM i will be happy.

Also, can the tail be mounted on a level keel like a normal Bensen?

Tim, Yes.

The molds are done with extended mounting flaps so that the fin can be built to fit keels from 0 to 15 degrees.

And it all started with an annual on the Bensen. Yes that gentleman, John who made Cloud Dancer had an electrical prerotator that then recharged the battery. Sounded a very interesting concept.

And it all started with an annual on the Bensen. Yes that gentleman, John who made Cloud Dancer had an electrical prerotator that then recharged the battery. Sounded a very interesting concept.

Well.. i don't like using the rotor to do any other job than flying the gyro.... and i dint like using lithium polymer batteries ( they are very light and give hight current,, but they can catch fire if not charged properly.)

I already have a small battery on the gyro, ... so 1 minute of prerotation will require a ~10 minute flight to top up the battery from the engine alternator.