Aviomania Single seat, very stable Gyro, Video

Aviomania

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Gyros, Airoplanes, Gliders, Motorgliders, Trikes, Microlights
Total Flight Time
3000+
Whell.... i got the time to put together some video footage from the early flights of my AVIOMANIA G1sa gyro.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Pq3gHKeg6w

You can really see the stability of the gyro in this video. it flies 1 foot off the ground, it does wheelies, hands and feet off, sideways... etc.

At the beginning i am flying it.. later on you can see Giorgos (Scandtours) doing his wheelies. At the end some air to air video i took from the gyro of Giorgos flying George's Aircommand, as well as some on board video of a very low, dirt road following.

Not a professional video but i hope you will enjoy it.

Thanks goes to George Christodulou (gdoulou) for taking the video.

Attachments

• 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 0
Hi Nicolas

I know that this will rub some Bensen fans the wrong way but I am getting older and a lot less plesant, this is what Bensen "should have built in the first place". that's one fine machine.

Tony

Thanks for sharing and that is one sweet ride!

Hi Nicolas

I know that this will rub some Bensen fans the wrong way but I am getting older and a lot less plesant, this is what Bensen "should have built in the first place". that's one fine machine.

Tony
Tony, While I agree that what Nicholas did with that gyro was sheer genius, saying that Bensen should have done that in the first place is like saying Henry Ford should have never bothered to build Model "T"s and Model "A"s, he should have built LTDs and such in the first place! :D

Nicolas,
I didnt like the video, very bad quality. Of course not everybody is like Shawn.

If Jack Beaty will watch this video will say: Flying hands off, feets off or
(whatever you have off) doesnt mean a gyro is stable and its very true.
What I can say, this gyro is ecxeptional super stable. Its easy to notice it in strong gusting winds. It doesnt need any help from the pilot to fly level.
Next time Nic and me will make a video with this gyro taking of f leveling and land only with the throttle without toutching the stick.
Flying 360 degrees on one main wheel you need a clean hard surface without stones. Even marks from motorcycles, cars on soft soil the gyro will jump.
Giorgos

Great job, Nicolas. If all gyro “designers” had mastered stability as well as you have, we would have no more smoking holes.

If you ever get a modern, low drag rotor on that machine, you’ll think you’re in Heaven.

Great Flying and looking Gyro Guys I like It!

Beautiful work, Nicolas! It appears this gyro is built to meet your mission - flying low level off of sand runways. I can see you guys are having lots of fun. There are only two things that separate this gyro from perfect - IMHO. They are - a tall tail to minimize prop rolling torque (a safety issue), and a couple more feet of moment on the stab for added pitch damping and improved response with no power. Both can be done with same structure and minimum, if any, added weight.

Good job :wave:

Hi Nicolas

Tony

Tony, While I agree that what Nicholas did with that gyro was sheer genius, saying that Bensen should have done that in the first place is like saying Henry Ford should have never bothered to build Model "T"s and Model "A"s, he should have built LTDs and such in the first place! :D

Tony & Pete, thank you.

Bensen is the father of gyros as we use them today and his early designs were very good, even CLT. the only thing that he could add to make them better it was a bigger, airfoil section, ruder and HS, a bit further back.

The problems started when people started putting bigger props, raising the thrust line and converting his design with out considering the stability problems that came with those modifications.

We owe a lot to bensen, delasiera and all the rest that ponder on improving and understanding gyroplane stability.

Nicolas,
I didnt like the video, very bad quality. Of course not everybody is like Shawn.

If Jack Beaty will watch this video will say: Flying hands off, feets off or
(whatever you have off) doesnt mean a gyro is stable and its very true.
What I can say, this gyro is ecxeptional super stable. Its easy to notice it in strong gusting winds. It doesnt need any help from the pilot to fly level.
Next time Nic and me will make a video with this gyro taking of f leveling and land only with the throttle without toutching the stick.
Flying 360 degrees on one main wheel you need a clean hard surface without stones. Even marks from motorcycles, cars on soft soil the gyro will jump.
Giorgos

Maybe Shaun will come for holidays in CYPRUS to fly our gyro and shoot a professional video for us:)

well... at least we have some video to share the fun and stability of the gyro. Later maybe we have a prof. videographer to film it.

P.S. When i return to Cyprus from the UK (mid October) we will try again our video skills :)

What shows the gyro is stable is not the hands and feet off but the Way the frame follows the rotors and that when flying the gyro maintains its attitude
with out the pilot correcting anything. No up & down, no left & right oscillations on the frame, no balooning....

The only Way to really FEEL the stability is to fly it. you are all welcome ;)

Last edited:
Great job, Nicolas. If all gyro “designers” had mastered stability as well as you have, we would have no more smoking holes.

If you ever get a modern, low drag rotor on that machine, you’ll think you’re in Heaven.

Thank you very much Mr. Beaty.

You are right. We have tried it with Macuchen Blades and the performance was grate. I did not like the feel of the heavy blades thought.

I just used what Giorgos had available to build that gyro.

I asked Mr. Ernie for the smallest hub he has so we can convert the 28' to 25' Dragon wings... so hopefully soon we will try them out. We will need to install a prerotator on it though.

Beautiful work, Nicolas! It appears this gyro is built to meet your mission - flying low level off of sand runways. I can see you guys are having lots of fun. There are only two things that separate this gyro from perfect - IMHO. They are - a tall tail to minimize prop rolling torque (a safety issue), and a couple more feet of moment on the stab for added pitch damping and improved response with no power. Both can be done with same structure and minimum, if any, added weight.

Good job :wave:

Thank you Udi.

If you look closer we have a tall tail.. it is mounted at 90* :)

The HS is almost in the center of the prop. accelerating has no effect on roll axis. Decelerating has a very soft "kick" to the direction of prop rotation because of the inertia from the slowing down of the prop as well as the decelerating helical airflow on the HS doing its job only now.. the engine does not produce any torque.

It is only a soft kick lasting under a second.. no correction necessary.

A construction of a tall tail ( as well as more option) are under way. i will report when tested. I do not expect much deference since the current vertical fin is 4 feet tall 3 feet wide STARTING 14" back from the prop and the HS is 6.5 feet long. starting 20" back from the prop. the overall effect is more than 3 times grater than a Bensen vert. fin.

To everybody... thank you for your nice words.

in other worts... it has a huge tail!!!! but... i will test other option :)

I think you guy's did great with the filming and your mean machine. Enjoyed the ride, it was fun watching you play in the sand.

Its true Nic, as you mentiomned above a long HS ( which in our case is long)
and behind the prop wash acts as rudder (rudder fin) too. The air doesnt know it it hits the fin or stab to act differently. A long HS is in prop wash, I believe, it does more work than just pitch dampening, it also stabilises prop rolling torque (a safety issue as Udi said)
giorgos

Thanks for acknowledging my efforts as a cameraman Russ, I really appreciate it because Nikos and giorgos were too busy having fun to say thanks

Gdoulou (George)

Thanks for acknowledging my efforts as a cameraman Russ, I really appreciate it because Nikos and giorgos were too busy having fun to say thanks

Gdoulou (George)

George... read thread no. 1..... last sentence says..... 'thank you' to you!!:boink: