Wow, wow, wow. I like that video. Really shows the maneuvering ability. I'm gonna have to watch it again...
Brian

I want one. I NEED one. Want to trade for a Sparrowhawk? It's a stable flying pig in the air, but it has cabin heat. ; )

Yes, he landed in the same direction he took off but I think the wind shifted. Look at the windsock at 4:27. Or am I seeing this incorrectly?

I've never figured out how to do the quote thing. Can someone 'splain?

Clicking on the reply button of the particular post gives you the quote feature.
Just posting a comment below all the other ones doesn't.

Yes, he landed in the same direction he took off but I think the wind shifted. Look at the windsock at 4:27. Or am I seeing this incorrectly?

I've never figured out how to do the quote thing. Can someone 'splain?
JJ: Many clues throughout the short video:

I also saw the flags in the background past the windsock looking to point right at the camera @ the end of the video, confirming the wind hadn't switched directions. For a split second, the WS did appear to have been the opposite it was previously. The same illusion @ the beginning of the video occurs.

Also, it took him a much longer time to make his turns (downwind), even @ at the end, compared to turns done into the wind's direction. Observers on the ground notice the big difference between the fast downwind speed made to the right compared to slower passes made to the left.

And, he did his "hovering" into the wind right @ the beginning of the video, as he went sideways as he ascended, and over the far right end of the runway later.
One cannot pull that type of a maneuver in a gyroplane while facing the same direction as the wind is blowing. A helicopter can.

I'm guessing we were watching the master, Nicholas K., performing in one of his Aviomania creations in Cyprus. All the flight maneuvers are the same M.O. since the first one he shared w/ the world several years back:

Extremely short take-offs (a result of high prerotation and some headwind), sharp turns, lots of hovering into the wind's origin, then diving to regain high airspeed, low, fast flight while zig-zagging, and always ending w/ an extremely slow, as well as smooth, touchdown.

Just the kind of gyroplane video to warm the hearts of anyone who loves human flight!
It makes gyro want-a-bee's desire jump even more so. Guys flying heavier machines marvel at how quick it is to change directions and accelerate. It is a 2-place gyro w/out the added weight of that passenger.

Last edited:
Clicking on the reply button of the particular post gives you the quote feature.
Just posting a comment below all the other ones doesn't.

Thanks for the tutorial. Both of them. I am still working on my fixed-wing Sport Pilot ticket and only have 3 hours in gyros. So much to learn!

JJ: Many clues throughout the short video:

I also saw the flags in the background past the windsock looking to point right at the camera @ the end of the video, confirming the wind hadn't switched directions. For a split second, the WS did appear to have been the opposite it was previously. The same illusion @ the beginning of the video occurs.

Also, it took him a much longer time to make his turns (downwind), even @ at the end, compared to turns done into the wind's direction. Observers on the ground notice the big difference between the fast downwind speed made to the right compared to slower passes made to the left.

And, he did his "hovering" into the wind right @ the beginning of the video, as he went sideways as he ascended, and over the far right end of the runway later.
One cannot pull that type of a maneuver in a gyroplane while facing the same direction as the wind is blowing. A helicopter can.

Nice observations articulated well Kevin!

It seems to turn a bit quicker than the Magni M16.

Well, I cannot miss a marketing opportunity. Let me take off my PRA hat and switch to my US Agent for Aviomania hat.
As Chuck Beady pointed out when the Aviomania line first came out quote: "It is the ONLY modern day gyroplane manufacture that is following all of Juan de la Cierva stability criteria including CLT, HS and TORQUE ROLL control."
They are little lighter than most and a little more stable in more of the flight envelope which = more maneuverable and most notice the difference even watching them fly at low speeds.

I wanted to buy the most stable gyro I could find as I always loan my toys out. Aviomana's can fly safely in a LITTLE more of the flight envelope than the others. (places we are taught not to go in gyros) The most stable for guest and students was one of the main criteria for my single place and I've now paid for and donated an Avioman two place to PRA chapter 31's for its new trainer.
Hope to make training for club members about $80 with most of that paid to CFI. But with 10 times the public being able to afford 20 hours at $80 = $1,600 to get your sport compared to $220 * 20 hours =$4,400. Then they can rent the clubs KB3 for about $15 per hours on weekends or the two place if not being used for training for $30. per hour.

....& own OWN Aviomania dual ...in Florida!

....now THAT's gyro fun@ it's finest!

If you running low on fuel just land and borrow some from PPC. I love it.

Yaw Mon Chuck. They really are the most stable gyro on the market today. Best kept secret in gyros.

Is that a standard Aviomania rotor ?
Brian

Ernie was experimenting with wider chord blades and that is what he came up with Brian.

JJ: ....................................................... It is a 2-place gyro w/out the added weight of that passenger.

Kevin here is another Video with a passenger (he asked me to fly like this and he is also a gyro pilot). No head Wind.. just 4 MPH cross wind.

P.S. This video is posted in another threat also.