Aviomania Genesis G1sE Sport

Nicolas, unfortunately Dragon Wings seem to be out of production. You it seems have been trying the new rotors but do not seem happy with them for the single seat, and, if I am understanding you correctly, only wish your product to be used with approved blades.

This is very interesting for us in the UK as we are getting short for blades. Rotor Hawkes, Dragon Wings, McCutcheon, Layzelle, and the ones Layzelle replaced, Rotordynes, are all no longer available as new blades.

Each type had their strong and weak points so if you could let us know what the strengths and weakness as found by you in the new type are, it would be most helpful to the people here looking for a set of blades.

You seem to be in the process of sourcing a new type of blades to be used with the machine, but until they have been finalised, will not be pursuing certification in the UK.

This process will take some time to finalise.

Will await further updates.

Me too. I have a set of GyroTech blades for a single seat ship but have not flown them yet. The chord sizes that GT makes are consistent with what you might see on a 2-place, but was assured by GT they would be well suited for a light 1-place. I'm curious to learn your findings. My ship is purpose-built to be a slow floater, so the undesirable qualities may only apply if high-performance is the aim. Please let us know. Thank you.

So far although interest has been shown in the GyroTech blades for single seaters it seems that the only person who is really qualified to speak about actual experience with them on a single seat machine is Nicolas, and he has made his views very clear.

I know little about them, but have been told that they are, expensive, and they are heavy.

As far as I know Ernie was unhappy with the deal that had been done for RFD and is now retired, so for the time being no more new Dragon Wings.

There is now a lot of interest in what Dennis Shoemaker is producing with his Gyro Technic Inc Razor Blade rotor prototypes which he will be demonstrating at Mentone. He has put a great deal of research and investment into equipment for this new venture and the gyro world will be very interested to see how these new blades perform.

There are so many variables that come into play, performance weight and cost being the major ones. Let's hope, as Dennis has said that these will be a good successor to the Dragon Wings that many of us flew and liked.

This is very interesting for us in the UK as we are getting short for blades. Rotor Hawkes, Dragon Wings, McCutcheon, Layzelle, and the ones Layzelle replaced, Rotordynes, are all no longer available as new blades.

Not sure if they're rolling out the door yet, but the new ownership of Air Command has bought the tooling for McCutcheon Skywheels and plans to put them back into production. (Story here.)

This appears to be the same company that bought out Ernie and is going to make Dragon Wings. I have today seen adverts for both types of blades from the same company.

Problem is that apparently the RFD buyout seems to have not gone so well...and the intention appears to be that Dragon Wings from this suppllier might well see a rather big hike in costs.

Ernie’s blades always seemed good value for money. If the new owners bump the price up by a large amount that may longer be the case.

Buying up two major blade manufacturers sounds a bit like cornering the market? It is not illegal but it might make the sport more expensive.

Blades get damaged quite easily and the market is probably be a good one.

Yes please.
Ernie wrote harshly about this "Luminati Aerospace":

<snip>
As most of you know I (Ernie "Boyette) sold the right's to making Dragon wings rotors to a company called Luminati aerospace, which was/is owned by a person named Daniel Preston.
The reason for this post into inform all gyro and some helicopter people that this man is NOT to be trusted !
He DOES NOT have the technical ability to build blades OR the integrity to honor a contract . He is a person that will take your money and NOT deliver a flyable product! YOU ARE WARNED!!!!

<snip>

Cheers
Erik

This is the link that is advertising Dragon Wings.
https://aircommand.com/products/dragon-wing-27-foot-rotor-blades-promotion#

This is the ling that was advertising Sky Wheels.

They appear to be the same company.

I spoke to Dennis yesterday and he has done his first air tests on the Razor Blades. He seemed cautiously happy with the results.

I really do wish him success. We need a reasonably priced set of blades in the market and Ernie gave us just that. A set of good quality good performing blades at a very reasonable price, $2,000. I went down to Ernie’s and he test flew them himself, and quizzed me about the machine I proposed to put them on. hey went up over the years but always reasonable.

As a complete aside, I sadly personally knew the first gyro pilot in Kenya that bought a set of blades from Ernie, then unfortunately crashed his gyro and was badly burned. Another friend of mine Ivan Smith also a fixed wing pilot, was his passenger and managed to free himself quickly, Johny Camm was trapped for a while by his seat belt, then was freed. Very badly injured two more friends of mine air ambulanced him to Europe in a Learjet but sadly he died enroute. Low turn close to the ground and the rotor tip dug in. Very sad.

I have had more people that I have personally known in a very long career in aviation, die in autogyro accidents. 1 in Kenya, 2 in England, 2 in US, than in fixed wing. In fact I haven’t had any friend die in a fixed wing accident.

It can be a little tricky, so take care out there. It is some of the most rewarding and exciting flying out there, but it does demand respect vigilance and understanding.

Thanks for that clarification Paul, but guess that still means that for the time being no DW’s at any price.

I believe that Nikolas is building his own rotor blades now that Dragon Wings are no longer available, that would certainly increase the types of blades available on the market.

Hello Aviomania,
I’m interested in the prospect of buying a single seat Aviomania Gyro that’s currently up for sale here in Western Australia, but as a microlight (trike) pilot, I’m yet to do any training in a gyroplane. Could you please suggest a duel seat Gyroplane that has similar handling characteristics as the Genesis. I could then look for an instructor with such an aircraft in which to do my initial training, and would appreciate any advice and or suggestions you could give me. Thank you, Peter.

The only one that is very similar is the Aviomania G2sa. There is no such a gyroplane in Australia. You can get training to any other gyroplane but it will require type training by an instructor who knows the characteristics of the Aviomania. Garry Butlion can help you with this.

Or if you come in Cyprus we can transition you to the single seat.

Thank you Aviomania, as much as I’d like to travel to Cypress to do my training, I’ve spoken to Gary Butlion about transitioning into the Aviomania and he suggests fitting larger blades, but as I’m 120 kg, I have reservations. I wish to ask....am I too heavy for the Aviomania with the 582 Rotax, if not...what size rotor blade would best suit my weight and lack of experience. I also wish to ask...is Aviomania manufacturing their own blades. I’m looking forward to your reply, thank you, Peter.

Thank you Aviomania, as much as I’d like to travel to Cypress to do my training, I’ve spoken to Gary Butlion about transitioning into the Aviomania and he suggests fitting larger blades, but as I’m 120 kg, I have reservations. I wish to ask....am I too heavy for the Aviomania with the 582 Rotax, if not...what size rotor blade would best suit my weight and lack of experience. I also wish to ask...is Aviomania manufacturing their own blades. I’m looking forward to your reply, thank you, Peter.

attached a picture of a 120Kg pilot flying with 532 engine (4HP less than 582)... with 24 feet rotor.

and here is a video with me flying Gary's gyroplane before shipping to Australia (someone else made the video)

Attachments

• P1020057.JPG
    P1020057.JPG
    103 KB · Views: 12
Since you used Dragon Wings is there a reason you did not buy the Dragon Wings rotor blades business from RFD? Seems to me not only would you have rotors for your gyro's again...in house but the world would have access again.

I talked with Ernie and made an offer... but it was not enough. So now we are developing our own blades similar construction and weight as well as performance. I tried other blades but i did not like them as much as I like dragon wings... so our blades will be at least as good as dragon wings.

""Unfortunately you are to far to make a casual visit to Greece .........................""

The Republic of Cyprus, a seperate entity to Greece.