Aviomania Genesis G1sE Sport

For a single seat 80hp with PSRU is usually more than enough. Rotax 912UL weights:

http://www.rotec.com/4-stroke-weights-rotax

Rotax official listing:
124.7lbs / 56.6Kg
Exhaust System 8.8lbs / 4.0Kg
Air Box 2.9lbs / 1.3Kg
Air Filter 0.7lbs / 0.3Kg
Liquid Radiator 2.2lbs / 1.0Kg
Oil Radiator 1.1lbs / 0.5Kg
Regulator-Rectifier 0.2lbs / 0.1Kg
Installed Weight 140.6lbs / 63.8Kg

Last edited:
Something that many overlook or don’t seem to understand is that many gyros are not built for maximum efficiency so they need a larger engine , a gyro with a 60 inch prop is not going to perform well on fifty hp and will nearly fly on 40 hp, if you build your machine to swing a 72 or larger it will be great on this much power for a single seat machine, a 582 with a 3.47 gearbox and an 80 inch prop will do quite well on a two place machine, the HKS needs at least a 72 inch prop to work well, I have always found that a gyro prop should be at least 25% the diameter of the rotor, more is better.
norm

Norm,

I must admit, even after a lot of research I still do not know much about the subject matter. This is something I am only now learning about more recently and have no actual hands on experience with. I greatly appreciate the information everyone has provided me here and it gives me a lot to think about. I know I still have a lot to learn but I am looking forward to learning it!
Thanks again everyone for the helpful insight and knowledge! I look forward to hearing from Nicholas...

Cheers!

Nic

phantom;n1128723 said:
a 582 with a 3.47 gearbox and an 80 inch prop will do quite well on a two place machine,

Norm, I assume that would be a 2-blade prop? Also, at a higher density altitude, would a smaller prop be needed?

farmboy;n1128771 said:
Norm, I assume that would be a 2-blade prop? Also, at a higher density altitude, would a smaller prop be needed?

If you are using the term "higher density altitude correctly" (the effective of higher altitude) if anything you would use a larger propeller to compensate for the thinner air.

Nic hello... I am sorry for not replying earlier. We had a death in the family and last week I was not online. I will give you more information in the next few days.

Good Evening Nicholas,

I am extremely sorry to hear that my friend and I completely understand. It is No worries... take as much time as you need.
My prayers will be with you and your Family!

My Condolences,

Nicholas Dawson

Hi Wil, the house has now been sold, have the deposit, principle coming soon, so am almost ready to buy. What is the state of play with the UK certification?

Nic, sorry to hear your sad news. My commiserations.
Would there be any good second hand 912is available?

Nicholas,

I hope you are doing well my friend and things have been better for you. I was curious if you have ever heard of the Geiger Engine? This is a Rotary Wankel engine that was purpose built for aircraft use and looks like it will give Rotax a run for their money! I love Rotary engines for numerous reasons and daily drive an RX-8... however they do have a few drawbacks with the Design. I won’t get into all of them here but the only aviation motor I have seen that addresses these design issues is the Geiger Motor. This is a relatively new engine and design, and they only recently went into serial production. That being said this is a huge step for Aviation grade Rotary power as most designs never even made it to production. This is not an autoconversion from a 13B based engine. This motor was designed from the ground up to be an aviation motor. The specs are listed as follows... A single Rotor design will produce roughly 50hp and the dual Rotor version will produce 100hp @7500rpm, so of course there is a Reduction Drive. The Wet weight of this engine is said to be 132lbs , so it should be lighter than the Rotax when installed. What is also interesting about this engine is that is has a pretty impressive torque curve. Most Rotary engines do not produce a lot of torque which is needed for an aircraft! They even have a redundant design for helicopters with two complete 100hp engines driving one PSRU, and the total weight of that unit is said to be 325lbs with 200hp. This is the only Rotary I have seen that has addressed the issue of Rotor Cooling with internal pressurized oil jackets in the rotors. This Rotary engine also uses modern ECU control and is said to have a fuel burn of 4.5-5.3 Gallons an hour. The oil usages is also extremely low as it does not need to inject oil into the combustion chamber to keep the Rotor cool. Now here is the clincher my friends... currently the price listed for the Geiger A2-74 engine is $12,800 US! This is the only engine I have seen recently that could possibly give Rotax a run for their money! You can not beat the price per performance or even the weight of this engine anywhere in the marketplace! The production of these engines was said to have begun in April 2017 with 100 engines. The Company Geiger Motors GmBH is based in Germany and I have recently sent them an enquiry. As I stated this is the first Rotary engine that I have seen for aviation that looks promising!

Further Engine information... sorry had to use google translate as the website is in German.

OTHER KEY FIGURES TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS
Power 74 kW / 7500 min-1,
Torque 85 Nm / 7500 min-1
MAX RPM 7500 min-1
Fuel Min RON 95
oil 5W30
Generator power 300 (600) W
Voltage 14.2 volts
MASS (in KG) engine 31
transmission
8 Intake silencer with intake manifold
1,8 Fuel pump, pressure regulator,
filter 0.7
Dry sump wet 3.2 l 3.8
Electronics Engine Management 1.9
Alternator 3.2
Starter generator with electrical 12 V, 28 V 3.1

Two-disc - four-stroke Wankelsaugmotor with dry sump lubrication. Sequential high-performance ignition system Electronic engine management with lambda probe Redundant intake manifold injection Integrated starter generator Integrated reduction gearbox Oil-cooled rotor with oil-water exchanger in the cooling circuit for stable temperatures under permanent full load Gas seal system designed for high wear resistance Lowest friction due to rolling bearing of eccentric shaft and rotor Low friction oil seal system.

I am extremely impressed with these specs and can’t wait to hear more from the company about these engines. From what I read they are currently testing the engine in a Flight Designs CT and has spent a large amount of time on the test bed. I would Love to hear your thoughts on this engine! I think with the light weight and power of this engine it would be perfect for the AvioMania G1sE! It would obviously have to be tested by you on your G1 and I hope you are able to get ahold of one of these engines for testing to do so! I would love to have a Rotary powered Gyro and feel it would be a perfect setup. I hope this information helps my friend and if you have any questions please feel free to let me know!

Best Regards,

Nicholas Dawson

Last edited:
Think the 912IS is a around $25,000. It has been out for a while, what are the chances of finding a good second hand one, and around what price?

Resasi,

I do really like the 912is engine and I would love to have this engine in a AvioMania G1sE. If I could find one used for under $15k US then I would probably go this route. The Geiger Engine would also be lighter than the 912is engine though, however my concern is about the reliability of these engines! This company is a new company with a new design that is just now starting to build quite a bit of flight time. I am curious to see how one of these engines would preform on the AvioMania G1! I would love to see Nicholas use one of these Rotary engines in one of his aircraft!

Cheers!

Nicholas Dawson

The reliability of the Rotax engines is a big factor, and I believe that the IS is very fuel efficient, which hopefully translate into longer range.

I am expecting the engineering drawings to arrive shortly which then hopefully will permit the design of a testing programme acceptable to the LAA. The test frame is built and in Cyprus but Nicolas wants to make sure it will pass before shipping it. Once structural testing is complete, we can proceed to flight testing. It is difficult to know how long all this will take but we will get there.

Thanks Will. Presently in Kilifi and gather Chris and Meg have just arrived.

I’'m sorting out hopefully the last of the paperwork on the sale of the house here, which due to a major mistake by the lawyers, has taken over a year to sort out, but it now means that the funds will be available.

Also been trying to arrange hanger space for a gyro in a convenient airfield near Gatwick which is not too far away and hopefully not too expensive. As I have learned, it’s like Stan’s 'two week’ syndrome, everything takes a lot longer than anticipated, and now looks as though I will have the money but not a gyro to purchase.

Bro that is the best news I've heard this year....

Resasi;n1129384 said:
Thanks Will. Presently in Kilifi and gather Chris and Meg have just arrived.

I’'m sorting out hopefully the last of the paperwork on the sale of the house here, which due to a major mistake by the lawyers, has taken over a year to sort out, but it now means that the funds will be available.

Also been trying to arrange hanger space for a gyro in a convenient airfield near Gatwick which is not too far away and hopefully not too expensive. As I have learned, it’s like Stan’s 'two week’ syndrome, everything takes a lot longer than anticipated, and now looks as though I will have the money but not a gyro to purchase.

coyotekyk;n1129001 said:
Is it possible to have heating inside the G1sE cabin?

Hi Mario

Don't think you will need a heater.
I'm from San Diego CA and we think anything below 60 is freezing so I have no experience sitting in our convertible enclosed G1sE Genesis Sport in cold weather, even though I'm the US Agent for Aviomania.

Here is a quote from an email from a USA G1Se owner regarding his experience so far.
I just went flying today. The temperature out side was 45 degrees F.
I installed the fan shown below instead of the vent you provide.
It works great when it is hot outside to keep me cool but it is great for preventing fog on the canopy.
I highly recommend this instead of the vent. I bought it on Amazon for $21 and hooked it to the existing light switch and fuse.
The problem with the vent is that you roast in the canopy waiting to take off..

In the Winter you fog up as soon as you close the canopy.

I always turn on the fan right before I close the canopy. Problem solved for $20.

So far it seems it too hot with no mention of needing a heater.
===
But I do have experience training in Utah in the winter in the enclosed Calidous when it was 31 degrees for a week of training.
The 1st day I had on 3 layers of closes and a long coat.
I was still cold while waiting outside.
But as soon as we shut the canopy I was cooking with no heater.
The next day and from then on I only wore one layer of clothes and waited in the heated hanger and ran to get in the warm non-heated Calidous.
If it sunny at 31 degrees it's still very very warm in a Calidos and Cavlon I flew back there and expert our G1Se Sport to be even warmer as it has less cabin space.

PS: Here is part of another email from the same new owner of the G1sE Sport who by the way has owned and been flying Dominators for years.
There is every reason to think that the gyro you sold me could take over the single place market in America.

It is light years ahead of any other single place on the market.

If you had a hundred units available, you could sell a hundred units just by showing and demonstrating them at the fly-ins.

Just having gyros flying in the Winter like I plan to do is the biggest selling point.

The open cockpit only gyros, can only be flown comfortably above 70 degrees.

That limits most of our country to just 5 months of flying.

Last edited:
wnwgj;n1129376 said:
I am expecting the engineering drawings to arrive shortly which then hopefully will permit the design of a testing programme acceptable to the LAA. The test frame is built and in Cyprus but Nicolas wants to make sure it will pass before shipping it. Once structural testing is complete, we can proceed to flight testing. It is difficult to know how long all this will take but we will get there.

I am curious what you were speaking about here?... was this in response to the Geiger engine? If so, that is extremely promising and I would love to hear more about this project!

Cheers!

Nic

Flynic3;n1129500 said:
I am curious what you were speaking about here?... was this in response to the Geiger engine? If so, that is extremely promising and I would love to hear more about this project!

Cheers!

Nic

Nope - just the extensive testing required by the UK authorities to permit the Aviomania machines to be built and flown here in the UK