Aviomania G2sA-2 build

Smack

Re-member?
Aircraft
Kitfox IV / F1 Rocket / Magni M-16 / Beech 18
Total Flight Time
500+
The assembly process of my Aviomania G2sa-2 with Rotax 912 ULS and SportCopter rotor has commenced !

Wheels were attached yesterday, so it is a rolling frame, and I have enough build time to comment on this initial stage.

Other than one complex weldment (links frame/engine/main landing gear) that had a burr prohibiting assembly, everything has gone together very well. Hole alignment between mating parts is very good and I’ve only needed to lightly ream a few AN3 holes (mainly to remove paint in the hole). One or two parts were missing their pre-drilled holes, but Aviomania has purposefully omitted some holes to be aligned/drilled by the builder to assure a very good fit.

The instructions for the build have been provided in narrated video format and also pictures. Nicolas has been responsive in the one assembly hiccup with a quick reply/suggestion and is quick to offer encouragement. The videos are presented in a suggested order-of-assembly and I’ve found it useful to watch several videos ahead for planning purposes. As an example, when picking the right fastener length, you need to know if another bracket will be added to that location at some future point.

On the subject of fasteners, Aviomania has provided a large array of AN hardware (mainly AN3 and AN4 on the frame). There is a bit of flexibility on bolt length and Aviomania provides both the standard and reduced-thickness washers along with a choice of nut type. Another fall-out from the ‘pandemic’ was the early multiple, delayed shipments of hardware from Aircraft Spruce, but I’m sure that is the same for everyone.

Nicolas is still developing his in-house 2-place Rotor, so I opted for a 28ft SportCopter offering. Per SC, this is the first Aviomania 2-seat (any?) model with a SportCopter rotor (Aviomania Rotorhead), so there has been a bit of a delay on that and I have not received it yet. Also still awaiting the WarpDrive propeller.

Here is a picture showing the progress as of yesterday. I found it helpful to label the parts and I’m taking pictures as I go. Funny enough, I’m starting to like the green-on-black color combination and will likely have to add some green accents to the frame someday !

Brian

Attachments

• Brian_Gyro.JPG
    Brian_Gyro.JPG
    291.9 KB · Views: 33

Vance

Gyroplane CFI
Aircraft
Givens Predator
Total Flight Time
2400+ in rotorcraft
Thank you for sharing the fun and what you are learning!

Sv.grainne

Thanks for posting. I'm hoping to get my G1SB kit in June and will be posting build process on a new website I setup. Will post the link once I start my build.

What body color did you choose?

Last edited:

Smack

Re-member?
Aircraft
Kitfox IV / F1 Rocket / Magni M-16 / Beech 18
Total Flight Time
500+
The Aviomania factory is in Cyprus, so the kit had to travel quite a distance to find me.
As I unwrap each part, I am impressed with the packaging detail.
The frame components are all painted black; there is a layer (blue) of stretchy plastic film that is wrapped 5-7 revolutions around each part, then several layers of bubble wrap on top of that.
So far, none of the parts has shown any shipping damage or even paint scuffing due to this careful wrapping.
I was reminded of this thought yesterday as I unwrapped the Rudder Pedal assembly.
It has the two rotating Pedal tubes and I noted that the factory carefully put several layers of plastic between the Pedal tube and its weldment so that they did not vibrate together during shipping !

Current status (not shown): I'm attaching Rudder Pedals and its associated cabling. Waiting for a couple of longer AN bolts to arrive via UPS later today (hopefully) so that I can drill and attach the dual Cyclic assembly to the Frame. The bolts Aviomania supplied would have been okay, but I wanted one size longer so as to use my-preferred thicker AN4 washers.

Brian

Attachments

• IMG_2596.JPG
    IMG_2596.JPG
    280.4 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2680.JPG
    IMG_2680.JPG
    264.9 KB · Views: 18