Aviomania G2sA-2 build

Smack

Re-member?
Aircraft
Kitfox IV / F1 Rocket / Magni M-16 / Beech 18
Total Flight Time
500+
The assembly process of my Aviomania G2sa-2 with Rotax 912 ULS and SportCopter rotor has commenced !

Wheels were attached yesterday, so it is a rolling frame, and I have enough build time to comment on this initial stage.

Other than one complex weldment (links frame/engine/main landing gear) that had a burr prohibiting assembly, everything has gone together very well. Hole alignment between mating parts is very good and I’ve only needed to lightly ream a few AN3 holes (mainly to remove paint in the hole). One or two parts were missing their pre-drilled holes, but Aviomania has purposefully omitted some holes to be aligned/drilled by the builder to assure a very good fit.

The instructions for the build have been provided in narrated video format and also pictures. Nicolas has been responsive in the one assembly hiccup with a quick reply/suggestion and is quick to offer encouragement. The videos are presented in a suggested order-of-assembly and I’ve found it useful to watch several videos ahead for planning purposes. As an example, when picking the right fastener length, you need to know if another bracket will be added to that location at some future point.

On the subject of fasteners, Aviomania has provided a large array of AN hardware (mainly AN3 and AN4 on the frame). There is a bit of flexibility on bolt length and Aviomania provides both the standard and reduced-thickness washers along with a choice of nut type. Another fall-out from the ‘pandemic’ was the early multiple, delayed shipments of hardware from Aircraft Spruce, but I’m sure that is the same for everyone.

Nicolas is still developing his in-house 2-place Rotor, so I opted for a 28ft SportCopter offering. Per SC, this is the first Aviomania 2-seat (any?) model with a SportCopter rotor (Aviomania Rotorhead), so there has been a bit of a delay on that and I have not received it yet. Also still awaiting the WarpDrive propeller.

Here is a picture showing the progress as of yesterday. I found it helpful to label the parts and I’m taking pictures as I go. Funny enough, I’m starting to like the green-on-black color combination and will likely have to add some green accents to the frame someday !

Brian

Attachments

• Brian_Gyro.JPG
    Brian_Gyro.JPG
    291.9 KB · Views: 54

Vance

Gyroplane CFI
Aircraft
Givens Predator
Total Flight Time
2400+ in rotorcraft
Thank you for sharing the fun and what you are learning!

Sv.grainne

Thanks for posting. I'm hoping to get my G1SB kit in June and will be posting build process on a new website I setup. Will post the link once I start my build.

What body color did you choose?

Last edited:

Smack

Re-member?
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
500+
The Aviomania factory is in Cyprus, so the kit had to travel quite a distance to find me.
As I unwrap each part, I am impressed with the packaging detail.
The frame components are all painted black; there is a layer (blue) of stretchy plastic film that is wrapped 5-7 revolutions around each part, then several layers of bubble wrap on top of that.
So far, none of the parts has shown any shipping damage or even paint scuffing due to this careful wrapping.
I was reminded of this thought yesterday as I unwrapped the Rudder Pedal assembly.
It has the two rotating Pedal tubes and I noted that the factory carefully put several layers of plastic between the Pedal tube and its weldment so that they did not vibrate together during shipping !

Current status (not shown): I'm attaching Rudder Pedals and its associated cabling. Waiting for a couple of longer AN bolts to arrive via UPS later today (hopefully) so that I can drill and attach the dual Cyclic assembly to the Frame. The bolts Aviomania supplied would have been okay, but I wanted one size longer so as to use my-preferred thicker AN4 washers.

Brian

Attachments

• IMG_2596.JPG
    IMG_2596.JPG
    280.4 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_2680.JPG
    IMG_2680.JPG
    264.9 KB · Views: 35

Steve_UK

Aircraft
I'm not a pilot but have been lucky enough to fly in Mi-24 Hind, Mi-2, Mi-17, Lynx HAS3, Gliders, GA
Aviomania N696Z appears in the recent FAA update

Resasi

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Gyrs, RAF 2000/Mgni/Bnsn/Hrnet/Mrlin/Crckt/MT-03/Lyzlle AV18-A/Prdtor. Pax ArrowCopter
Total Flight Time
100+ gyro, 16,000+ other
I did fancy the Aviomania, a shame it didn’t come to the UK.

Smack

Re-member?
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
500+
I ran into a bit of a problem last week that has taken some time to sort out.
There is a complicated (multi-function) weldment beneath the pilot's seat that connects seat, frame, rear rudder pedals, and the floorboards.
A slight bit (just lightly dragging) of interference with the cyclic connection when the stick was in the highest position (stick centered).
It's a bit difficult to tell from the picture, but the weldment cants forward about 10 degrees and the squared-off bottom thus has its lowest point at the leading edge of that saddle.
I cut approximately 1/4" off the front and re-welded a new plate at that slight angle and now have the desired clearance (picture 2).
A bit of touch-up paint later today and re-assemble tomorrow. Build back on !
The next step is to connect the Rudder Pedals (that had to wait as the above weldment was an integral part of that system).

Attachments

• F290-1.JPG
    F290-1.JPG
    206.6 KB · Views: 47
  • F290-2.JPG
    F290-2.JPG
    193.5 KB · Views: 47

Strike

Aircraft
Autogiro
Total Flight Time
La scorsa settimana ho riscontrato un piccolo problema che ha richiesto un po 'di tempo per risolverlo.
C'è una saldatura complicata (multifunzione) sotto il sedile del pilota che collega il sedile, il telaio, i pedali del timone posteriori e le assi del pavimento.
Un po '(solo leggermente trascinando) di interferenza con la connessione ciclica quando lo stick era nella posizione più alta (stick centrato).
È un po 'difficile da dire dall'immagine, ma la saldatura si inclina in avanti di circa 10 gradi e il fondo squadrato ha quindi il suo punto più basso sul bordo d'attacco di quella sella.
Ho tagliato circa 1/4 "dalla parte anteriore e ho risaldato una nuova piastra con quella leggera angolazione e ora ho la distanza desiderata (figura 2).
Un po 'di vernice per ritocchi più tardi oggi e rimontare domani. Ricostruisci!
Il passo successivo è collegare i pedali del timone (che ha dovuto attendere poiché la saldatura di cui sopra era parte integrante di quel sistema).
QAre these the original welds? 🤔

Smack

Re-member?
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
500+
The welds that you can see are the original welds.
"Stainless Steel" per Aviomania, but I don't know which alloy (probably similar to 304).
Some of the response of the original metal makes me wonder; it seems a bit inferior to other 304 I've welded.
Of course, I'm not a professional welder either. ;)

Strike

Aircraft
Autogiro
Total Flight Time
Le saldature che puoi vedere sono le saldature originali.
"Stainless Steel" per Aviomania, ma non so quale lega (probabilmente simile al 304).
Alcune delle risposte del metal originale mi fanno meravigliare; sembra un po 'inferiore agli altri 304 che ho saldato.
Ovviamente non sono nemmeno un saldatore professionista. ;)
Lthe photo with the whole black lever system, however it was with the original welds I guess! quite right?

Smack

Re-member?
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
500+
Last weekend, the empennage was attached to the Frame and the Rudder hung (temporarily).
The re-worked weldment went back on and the pilot's seat was temporarily attached so that I could set the Rudder Pedal position (mine are at the maximum forward position).
Aviomania has a 'soft' nosewheel steering set-up on the G2 (see the lower spring, far right of picture).
The upper spring supplies a return force to the Rudder pedals (I'll evaluate that later for change/adjustment).
Started crimping ferrules on the cables last night.

One main component is still not received: the Sport Copter rotor. I've called and e-mailed for 2 months and I've still not gotten solid answers.
Supposedly it was complete and ready for a test flight at the end of March, but I got that same response in April.
As of last Friday, the stated delay was due to an incorrect metal finish on the plates.
So, I'm a bit disappointed as I was under the general impression that Sport Copter had a good reputation. TBD for me.

Of note, I was a bit worried about the pilot seat (it looks 'flimsy' in the photos); it appears to be carbon fiber and is quite rigid and will be a suitable hand-hold for boarding. So, concern abated on that.
The floorboards were also temporarily fit (removed in photo) and they are a carbon fiber/foam construction and seem durable enough (I stood on them, no issues).

Brian

Attachments

• Rudder Pedals.JPG
    Rudder Pedals.JPG
    243.2 KB · Views: 29

Resasi

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Gyrs, RAF 2000/Mgni/Bnsn/Hrnet/Mrlin/Crckt/MT-03/Lyzlle AV18-A/Prdtor. Pax ArrowCopter
Total Flight Time
100+ gyro, 16,000+ other
One main component is still not received: the Sport Copter rotor. I've called and e-mailed for 2 months and I've still not gotten solid answers.
Supposedly it was complete and ready for a test flight at the end of March, but I got that same response in April.
As of last Friday, the stated delay was due to an incorrect metal finish on the plates.
So, I'm a bit disappointed as I was under the general impression that Sport Copter had a good reputation. TBD for me.
They generally do have a good reputation. If you continue to have problems Denis will have one ready to go now, but then again it looks as thought it will be a while before you need a rotor.

SportCopter

Aircraft
Vortex M912, SportCopter II, Vortex 582, M2

Brian

Hi Brian,

We understand your frustration at the delay, but I want to assure you that you've not been getting the run-around, as some readers of your post could infer. We've indeed had outsourced processing issues since March.

Our rotor system's tension straps for the blades are plated by large plating factory. We've enjoyed excellent results from for over 30 years. Early 2021, however, has been different (they admit to personnel issues), and was completely out of our control.

We sent your straps (with many others) out in March for plating, but they had to be reworked too often which ruined them, so we had new straps cut (from a special high-tensile steel alloy, which the plating company head of QA offered to reimburse us for). They have plated them, and we picked them up only last night (after hours) for inventory restock this morning.

IMG_7028.jpg

Since a month ago, your two blades had already been built, sanded, epoxy painted, and balanced. (Even your wooden shipping crates had been built.) We've only been waiting on the tension straps to return from the plating company so that we can attach your blades to the hub bar, balance, test-fly, and track them.

IMG_7036.jpg
IMG_7034.jpg

Your beautiful rotor is now assembled on our blade bench, and our highly experienced pilot will test-fly them first thing tomorrow morning. Then we will crate and ship them to you tomorrow or Friday.

Please freely contact us with any questions, and know that we are always here for gyro parts and service.

Thank you for you business. We know that you will be delighted with unsurpassed performance, safety, and longevity of your Sport Rotor!

Sport Copter, Inc.
503-543-7000
[email protected]

GyrOZprey

Aussie in Kansas.
Aircraft
Butterfly Aurora N5560Z / Titanium Explorer N456TE & N488TE/ - trained in MTOsport 446QT/488FB
Total Flight Time
Anyone else looking for a 30ft 9 in cord "as-new" Sport-rotor for THEIR 2 place project I have the one for "Tiggy-B" ...still padded & boxed!
Pristine condition ...as was used for only 10 hours of wheel-balancing and a couple of hops before TGB was mothballed & we moved on to TAG gyros! paid $6600 for it ... make offer!

Gyro Technic

Manufacturer
Aircraft
Gyro Technic GTVX1
I don't think the Razor Blades are large enough, length or chord, for the weight of the 2 place machine.
This is correct.
Razor Blades are geared toward the smaller market ranging up to 25' (Maybe 26')
We do not have anything comparable for a 28' system..
Stick with the Sport Rotors. They will get you taken care of, and you will be happy. Good product!
(and yes, delays across all aspects of industry have been brutal for the last year)
Denis