Aviomania CE

No news since January, anything happening?

Hi Leigh - yes it is! But it is slow at the moment as Nicolas has been extremely busy fixing airliners at Larnaca for the last few months. Some minor re-designs and a whole new set of plans is required for the UK effort and I'm afraid that all takes some time as Nicolas is the only one who can do it.

Hi Will, thanks for coming back on that. I had heard he was extremely busy and I knew that you were faced with some rather tricky calculations. I was sorry that I was not able to get the help, but as the person pointed out it was Nikolas who had all the figures on the various stresses, and design features. I also realise that it is a case of where it is most cost effective for him to spend his, obviously limited time.

In my case, not quite so much a problem I have been faced with years of trying to find a buyer in Kenya, falling prices, then, with a keen buyer last Nov, then facing a major legal clusterfornication by my lawyers that have dragged endlessly on with huge fees and delay of the sale. However I am still extremely interested. The halving of the house value killed my Arrowcopter dream, but that too had faced major problems with Section T certification in the UK with one poor gent in Rochester feeling very sad.

In the meantime the search for a temporary ride might transpire down in Cornwall, but it is a seven hour drive from London, the weather even in the summer is uncertain at the best of times. The Bensen I shared with Tony was over 30 years old and was in need of a major rebuild, so I have been saving up and waiting for this.

I did think about the LA-18 which Mike Concannon in Ireland is going to restart, however I had already flown that and as a training machine ideal, but came nowhere near the agility (instability) of the Bensen, which I loved, and which seemed very apparent, together with stability, in the videos that Nikolas and Giogos have with the Genesis. He has of course got hugely more experience with it which obviously helps in showing it off to maximum advantage.

I would anticipate that Nikolas will continue to be busy on the maintenance side since Cyprus in the Summer is a hive of holiday charter flights and I suspect that he now has added another string to his bow and branched out with that which will be a bigger more predictable earner for him.

On a postive note Tony and I were down in Wales doing some single seat training and have just checked Andy out a two seat Instructor from Chiltern Park who seemed very happy with his experience of single seat flying and I am hoping could be a seedcorn for a resurgence of interest in the singles in the UK, as things were down to a very few singles around. We can but hope.

Hi Leigh - I will stay with it but I'm afraid it will take all the time I expected it to! I have a suitable UK engineer lined up to analyse the plans and do the structural calculations for the LAA to review. Once Nicolas is clear of the holiday maker flights, I am sure we will make progress but right now the ball is in his court. Andy Jones is keen to get a single seater he can instruct on that is avialable to buy for students and he know about the Aviomania project. Hopefully we will have something for him before too long....

Yes it certainly seemed as though he appreciated the different approach in the concentration on balancing, thoroughly enjoyed both the challenge and then flying the single, but more importantly seemed to realise the value it offered in perhaps another cheaper way to learning some valuable lessons in rotor control and recognising and stopping blade sail/flap.

What is a fact is the LA-18 is section T approved, a good stable well designed machine for an initial machine, has someone ready to produce them NOW, and it will probably be cheaper.

Hi Leigh - not strictly true I'm afraid...There there is one single example of the AV18 that has made it through Section T testing but it is not a "type" and therefore can't be bought without re-doing all that testing. I imagine that the process to make it one is probably not too onerous but has yet to be done as far as I know. I imagine Mike will undertake it. It is possible it will be cheaper but the big chunk of the cost lies in the engine rather than the airframe so I don't imagine the final price will vary greatly from the cheapest Aviomania and IMHO I prefer the look of the Aviomania! Anyway, I have learned that Nicolas is actually flat out on Aviomania rather than at the airport both on UK plans which will appear shortly and on some secret new projects which I can't share as I know nothing at all about them but knowing Nicolas, they will be worth waiting for...!

Indeed there were and they have "grandfathered rights" I believe. But you can't buy one today and there is no current TAD for them.

Hasn't anyone noticed how much the Genesis CE looks like "Little Nellie" and her siblings?
They could be cousins, and that alone tells me it's a great design. Had I had the money for it,
I would've gladly bought one. Probably with a 912 80 HP for the 4-stroke reliability.
Best wishes for Aviomania - the best looking single seater out there.
Cheers
Erik

That Nicolas is back to work on the UK project would be good news Will, but have now learned how long hopes and dreams take to come to fruition. Certainly with you on looks and performance.

Anything happening?

Hmm, be too old to fly by the time its certified here. :-(