600 ish solo gyro and 190 ish two place
The engine w/o radiator, hoses, coolant, and fuel pumps 198.00

fara

AR-1 gyro manufacturer
Aircraft
AR-1
Total Flight Time
3600+ .. New to gyroplanes
Why do you want to put engines in that the Gyroplane was not designed around?
Lycoming is very heavy. He is right. Get a used 912 or 914.

Joe Pires

star hoarder
Aircraft
Aviomania GS2.
Total Flight Time
600 ish solo gyro and 190 ish two place
Please do not post any questions to me on this thread. I have unsubsribed to it and might not see it. Just PM me.

eddie

RAF, turbo subaru 230hp
Aircraft
230 HP turbocharged RAF
Total Flight Time
8,000 plus
Boy, a lycoming would be hard to beat over any engine used on a two place gyro,the

reliablity and direct drive would be more than worth the extra weight of the lycoming.

Best regards,

Rambler

Banned
Aircraft
Wolverine
Total Flight Time
I like your engine. Nicolas likes the lower weight of the 912's and 914's over all of them.

He really does not like PRA 31's Lycoming O320 and want us to put a used 912 or 914 that he can buy in Europe for much less money than a new one or a used one in the USA as there are more of used ones for sale in Europe.

How much does it weight Joe.. The Lyc o320 weighs 248 lbs.

There is another customer building a two place and he's using the Yamaha so once both are build we should be able to compare the fuel burn and performance to help others decide with is best for them.

I also forget what the Yamaha weighs does anyone else remember?

Engine weight w/ carbs

Attachments

All_In

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Piper Archer, Aviomania G1sb
Total Flight Time
Not sure over 10,000+ logged FW, 260+ ultralights, sailplane, hang-gliders
Why do you want to put engines in that the Gyroplane was not designed around?
Lycoming is very heavy. He is right. Get a used 912 or 914.
Hi Abid
It because the Club/PRA 31 owned one in a Hullman sportster. I donated the rest of the money to paid for our co-owned trainer. In order for it to be a LEGAL co-ownership the club has to have some money at risk.
Most members do not have money to invest so that was the only way I could give them $6,000. equity.

Also a major GPS manufacture's grandfather died about 10 or 15 years ago that I had royalty contract with for the curved earth algorithms I wrote back in the 80's. Now is son that knew without my code they would not have had a business just died and his children just kicked me to the curb so I no longer have the money to pay another $25k to $35K to buy a 914 or 912 for them. I'm suing the kids and in discovery I'm asking for their entire source code. I know I would not wish to give anyone my source code as I could sell it under the table and create a new company if I had it. So I hope they will just keep paying me to drop that discovery request for me to drop the lawsuit.

If I have to save 25K now I will have to either create a new business and go back to work... That doesn't appeal to me either I've been playing since 1990 and gotten use it that lifestyle.

All_In

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
Boy, a lycoming would be hard to beat over any engine used on a two place gyro,the

reliablity and direct drive would be more than worth the extra weight of the lycoming.

Best regards,
That was my thinking too and we hoped we could make a heavy lift trainer as a couple of our members weigh 350 lbs.

This is not for yanking or banking only for training and some cross country.

ckurz7000

Aircraft
ArrowCopter
Lycomings also are air cooled engines which is bad news in a gyro. Gyros often fly in the high power but slow fligh regime which puts a lot of thermal stress on the engine since air cooling is not very effective when going slowly. I have a hunch that thermal issues will be your biggest problem with a Lycoming on a gyro.

-- Chris.

Vance

Gyroplane CFI
Aircraft
Givens Predator
Total Flight Time
2400+ in rotorcraft
Lycomings also are air cooled engines which is bad news in a gyro. Gyros often fly in the high power but slow fligh regime which puts a lot of thermal stress on the engine since air cooling is not very effective when going slowly. I have a hunch that thermal issues will be your biggest problem with a Lycoming on a gyro.

-- Chris.
Everyone has their own reasons for choosing an engine. I feel Joe will have a very nice gyroplane when he is finished. Ernie has had considerable success with the engine Joe has chosen to power his tandem.

I have not had thermal issues be a big problem in The Predator with either the Lycoming O-290 or the IO-320 in The Predator even when flying in temperatures over 100 degrees F near gross weight. I paid $6,500 dollars for the 260 pound 160 horsepower IO-320 and have over 1,100 hours on the installation burning six to seven gallons per hour.

At gross weight (1,400 pounds) I have 8.75 pounds per horsepower.

If she was a hundred pounds lighter with a Rotax 914 I would have 11.3 pounds per horsepower for five minutes and 13 pounds per horsepower continuous.

I would need to reduce the weight 200 pounds to 600 pounds empty to have comparable performance with a Rotax 914.

I have several friends with Lycoming powered gyroplanes that do not experience thermal problems either.

Attachments

dabkb2

Dave Bacon
Aircraft
2 KB2 90Mac KB3 582
Total Flight Time
289 hours
I hear from many people that a lower cost, reliable, certified aircraft engine would be nice as an alterative to Rotax. I have seen many gyro's with Lycoming engine and they make a great training platform.

Steve_UK

Aircraft
I'm not a pilot but have been lucky enough to fly in Mi-24 Hind, Mi-2, Mi-17, Lynx HAS3, Gliders, GA
""Sportcopter II has a Lycoming IO 360. ""

True, but it's not a common machine - no news since machine #008 was registered a few years back. Bear in mind the Rotax gyro machines total over 3,000 examples.

All_In

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
""Sportcopter II has a Lycoming IO 360. ""

True, but it's not a common machine - no news since machine #008 was registered a few years back. Bear in mind the Rotax gyro machines total over 3,000 examples.
I think that is because the price is so high as Jim only sells NEW O320's. I can buy used O320's for 5,000 dollars with 1500 hours left on them all day long!

C. Beaty

Gold Supporter
The problem, John, is that even if the airframe will take it, an O-360 on a 2-place gyro drastically overloads those pore little 7” chord DWs. Rotor tip speed will be busting the "sound barrier."

All_In

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
Thank you Chuck I learn every time you post.

Last edited:

JAL

Aircraft
MT03sport/C172
Total Flight Time
Come on Joe you have been holding out on us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWIllI9WAPw

Looks good. I am really interested how your build goes as that airframe and engine combination is something that I am seriously considering.

I have been on the Viking email list for awhile and think it is a good engine choice but still a little hesitant to jump in.

phantom

For anyone that has a heavy gyro Ernie now has a wider blade that solves the problem of high tip speed on two blade rotors.
Norm.