AutoGyro owners come up with the coolest.....

GyrOZprey

Aussie in Kansas.
Aircraft
Butterfly Aurora N5560Z / Titanium Explorer N456TE & N488TE/ - trained in MTOsport 446QT/488FB
Total Flight Time
adventures! :yo:

I just stumbled onto this video about a flying adventure around Iceland! ..... they drove the gyros onto the car-Ferry to get there!

Some challenging terrain & weather ... NOT for the cautious - risk-averse types!!! :eek:

An excellent video & fabulous scenery!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TmwEbjzLtDo

Steve_UK

Aircraft
I'm not a pilot but have been lucky enough to fly in Mi-24 Hind, Mi-2, Mi-17, Lynx HAS3, Gliders, GA
It's been suggested they are just toy pigs with lipstick.

Hardly.

j bird

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Dominator/Airworthiness Certificate 9/06/12
Total Flight Time
26.5 duel,RAF,Sparrow-Hawk,Cavalon,Calidus.
Got my Viking blood boiling!

kyron

amazing video! This is what makes gyroplanes so cool...low and slow if you want to take in the scenery. Was anyone concerned about some of the weather they were flying through/into? I also wondered where the could land in an emergency...while the scenery was beautiful, it probably was not too forgiving if you lost an engine...I loved how they could drive to the gas station and up onto the ferry...no chance of that in the US.

FRANK'S

Super Supporter
Aircraft
1975 Bensen B8-M A65 Continental
Total Flight Time
What a nice video. worth the time to watch it. Makes Gyroplanes look like tanks in the rain and wind they where flying. but I saw they had a limit. lol { could not see sky or land }

I sent to a few friends.

Vance

Gyroplane CFI
Aircraft
Givens Predator
Total Flight Time
2400+ in rotorcraft
The fun of flying a gyroplane.

The fun of flying a gyroplane.

It looked like a wonderful, memorable adventure.

That was a great job on the Video.

I could feel their excitement, frustration and trepidation.

It is not a flight I would enjoy and I admire their boldness.

I feel the best way to promote flying gyroplanes is to show how much fun can be had flying them.

cgmg

Aircraft
Empty hangar right now, have owned and flown Air Command & RAF
Total Flight Time
One of the best videos I've seen in a while, loved the driving on and off the ferry.

Amazed at how hospitable people were towards them....

Thanks, Chris

JAL

Aircraft
MT03sport/C172
Total Flight Time
How good was it that the police cleared a road for them to take off!!.

I would have felt a little nervous driving off and on the ferry with the prop spinning and people walking around in a darker confined space. I would have probably just pushed them on and off for that little bit.

But just to be allowed to land in the carpark and taxi around like that would be unimaginable here in oz. It must so nice to live in these places (apart for the cold). Probably safer too, people think for themselves.

kolibri282

What a beautiful adventure. This is probably as close as you can get to 1920th barnstorming in the 21st century. It's not only OZ where you wouldn't be allowed many of the things they did, in Germany they'd also be prohibited (like landing in a ferry car park or driving onto a boat with the prop spinning), but obviously they had a way to negotiate.... I personally think they had a generous supply of booze (in an auxiliary tank.???..;-) that allowed them to come to terms with local authorities in these northern countries, which of course is a case of a medical indication, nothing to do with bribery... (<-broad grin->...)

Last edited:

birdy

Aircraft
open frame single seat & a 'wasa' RAF, among other types.
Total Flight Time
7000 odd, bout 5000 gyro
A little while back a bloke from there wanted me to go over to help muster deer, im glad i didnt take the offer.
Bloody cold, and HIGH.

No mention of rotor ice?!?
Woulda thought there woulda been a few times there where ice woulda been very likely.

Rick E

Aircraft
Cavalon and an MTO Sport
Total Flight Time
2250+
How good was it that the police cleared a road for them to take off!!.

I would have felt a little nervous driving off and on the ferry with the prop spinning and people walking around in a darker confined space. I would have probably just pushed them on and off for that little bit.

But just to be allowed to land in the carpark and taxi around like that would be unimaginable here in oz. It must so nice to live in these places (apart for the cold). Probably safer too, people think for themselves.

You would be surprised with what you can get away with out in the bush Jordan. Rumour has it that there will be nine gyros taxiing about a kilometer into town at Daly Waters in the next few weeks for fuel, don't tell anyone though!

rcflier

Aircraft
Auto-Gyro MTO Sport 914
Total Flight Time
30+

Well, this is certainly not common. Not a carpark but the waiting area where cars line up for the ferry. In Hirtshals (northern Jylland), I guess.
But well done! It does take some bravery to land in such a confined space, coming in just over the fence and between the lamp posts.
And it must've taken some smooth talk to get permission to land there. For the customs police to clear the road, more smooth talk. In Iceland.
I would think this has been planned well by people used to deal with public relations and movie making.

Great PR for gyros - thumbs up.

(Mikkel Palmbo is a CFI and the Danish Auto-Gyro dealer)

Cheers
Erik

Last edited: