AutoGyro issues??

I am not an apologist for EU regulation or subsidy but speaking from the perspective of the UK market - it isn't EU tariffs that are stopping US manufactures selling gyroplane in the UK it is merely the technical regulatory barriers that no US maker wishes to climb over. That isn't a criticism of the US makers because quite frankly no UK maker even wants to engage with the insanity of it all either! Very sadly the UK market is dominated in formative / regulatory aspect by people who are and have been utterly short sighted.

One of the biggest mistakes that has distracted AutoGyro in recent years is this obsession with certified aircraft for commercial usage egged on by a well known flight trainer because it suited his own commercial aims. Today the chickens are coming home.

Its true UK does not have this fee or duty I mentioned. France and Germany certainly do. I don't think its a EU thing. Its individual countries in Europe. Let this Covid thing settle. I fully intend to work through LAA for BCAR Sec T compliant kit for UK market. But no chance of an A-1 company for fully built machines. That is ridiculous for UK market size given the wait and expense and headaches it takes

Last edited:
Reactions: PJB
The fellow from Autogyro stated China is one of their biggest customers, but this might be the case until China reverse engineers their design and starts manufacturing their design for China market.

Sad to hear about Autogyro's financial situation.
China has reversed engineered the Rotax, doing it with AG started a while back look at the pic of all the cloned gyros during a recent parade ...those were not MTO’s

China has reversed engineered the Rotax, doing it with AG started a while back look at the pic of all the cloned gyros during a recent parade ...those were not MTO’s

They copied Rotax completely legally because the patents have expired on those models and Rotax did nothing to renew them. So it is open season on 912 and 914. You, me anyone can copy it and Rotax has no recourse.

So far as I know, AutoGyro claims only one utility patent on their aircraft (for a pneumatic coupling) and it's no big deal to avoid:

Chinese equivalent:

What is the price of a Chinese 912?

I think they have a European distributor. All I remember is that its about 75-85% or so price point of Rotax engines. Not enough of a difference to go with a Chinese knock-off without any service centers etc. If Chinese cannot sell it cheaper, you know that it likely can't be sold cheaper given the volume. A thing many customers seem to never understand. The volume in aircraft is simply not there to make things cheaper

Last edited:
I think they have a European distributor. All I remember is that its about 75-85% or so price point of Rotax engines. Not enough of a difference to go with a Chinese knock-off without any service centers etc. If Chinese cannot sell it cheaper, you know that it likely can't be sold cheaper given the volume. A thing many customers seem to never understand. The volume in aircraft is simply not there to make things cheaper

I wonder if parts are compatible? Looking say just at rotax float prices rotax do pull the ring out of it