Autogyro crash in Spain

ferranrosello

Aircraft
Ela 07
Total Flight Time
FW: 600, HELOS: 3550, GYROS: 3020
A fatal autogiro crash happened on September 23rd in Camarenilla (Spain). It was a blue Ela 07 with a rotax 914 platted EC-ET4. It was my school autogyro until 3 months ago.

It happened after a normal take-off and when the autogiro was in a normal climbing attitude. When the aircraft was reaching 100 feet, and still in the runway heading, entered in very hard dive, with an attitude very close to a vertical dive (nose pointing down). The power setting in the dive was still climbing power. The autogyro accelerated rapidly against the ground. In the very last moment the aircraft attitude was changed to a nose up, but not in time to avoid a brutal hit of the tail against the ground. The tail was broken and the autogyro main body stopped about 15 feet further and banked to the left side. Immediately the autogyro burst into flames.

The pilot was rescued from the flames quickly, but he was dead because the hard crash. The pilot was a FW pilot and he had about 30 flying hours of experience in the type. No doubt about his performance and capability as a gyro pilot.

In the morning he had flown two cross-country flights, from Camarenilla to fuenteobejuna (220 km) and vice versa. No problem was detected in these flights. After taking the lunch en Camarenilla the unfortunate pilot took off from runway 23 and the accident happened.

It was reported that he was using a portable transceiver that was not properly attached to the aircraft. This radio give him several problems in the previous flights, and could be a factor in the accident, but we don’t know.

It seems to be a human error, because the pilot was able to change the attitude of the autogyro before the impact.

This is a tragedy, because the pilot was married with three children. He was a wonderful and helpful person. Rest in Peace.

Unfortunately I have nothing else to say.

Ferran

Trez

Aircraft
EAB 503 Powered UltraWhite-like Dom
Total Flight Time
25,000+

What a terrible thing to happen to anyone, but especially to someone with family like his.

Please express our heartfelt condolences to his wife for all of us.......

May he rest in peace.

Walter

Aircraft
MTO Sport, FA-01 (Smaragd), C-172, HK-36, Mü28, ASW20Top
Total Flight Time
2480 (400 of these in Gyro)
How tragic. Maybe it was the Gyro I saw in Fuenteobejuna while it was being serviced at the factory last November?

My thoughts go to the family and friends

Last edited:

GrantR

Aircraft
Kolb MarkIII and a "Jake" Gyroplane
Total Flight Time
About 85 fixed wing 3 gyro
It almost sound like the pilot was distracted with the radio and was not aware of entering the steep descent until too late.

Resasi

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Gyrs, RAF 2000/Mgni/Bnsn/Hrnet/Mrlin/Crckt/MT-03/Lyzlle AV18-A/Prdtor. Pax ArrowCopter
Total Flight Time
100+ gyro, 16,000+ other
Very sorry to hear this sad news.

Our thoughts are with family and friends.

barnstorm2

Platinum Member
Aircraft
2-place Air Command CLT SxS (project), & Twinstarr Autogyro
Total Flight Time
750+hrs and climbing
My condolences. I am very sorry for you and the family.