Autoflight Redrive on 2.5 Subaru

CLS447

Platinum Member
Aircraft
Air Command 503 & Air Command SxS /EJ2.5
Total Flight Time
Aprox 400 gyro
Does anyone see any problems with venting my redrive out of the top plug ?

Attachments

Gyro28866

David McCutchen
Aircraft
Benson B7m & B8m, Dominator II; Kolb Mark III Classic
Total Flight Time
750 combined FW & Gyro
On my Hirth G-40 Gearbox; the vent was located on the top. I was constantly getting residual oil on my prop and tail. While at Bensen Days; I saw Dave Seace machine had a Banjo Bolt in that location with a piece of hose running up to the mast.
There was not enough room to mount that way on mine (because of the pre-rotor); so I put the banjo bolt into the top/upper oriented plug hole and routed the hose to a location up on the mast. Works great. Any oils which get splashed out the hole and travel up into the tube, just condense and drain back down into the gearbox.
Here is a photo I took during Mentone 2015. I had a clutch issue and had to remove the gearbox. On the left side of the gearbox, you can see the Banjo Bolt.

Attachments

Last edited:

phantom

The tube works but in mome cases you need to put a chamber on the end of the line to capture and hold the oil, sometimes filling this chamber with pot scrubber material helps if you are still loosing a little oil.
Norm.

CLS447

Platinum Member
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
Aprox 400 gyro
Thanks guys ! I figure that will do it, but I want to see what Neil has to say about his very specific venting.

There are three of the same type & thread plugs on it (top, side,bottom) 2 machine shops today could not identify the plug & thread. I might have them retapped for the smallest pipe thread I can do.

AirCommandPilot

Just a fledgeling
Aircraft
Air Command Elite #003
Total Flight Time
While were on the subject of Autoflight Redrives. How much gear oil and what weight do they recommend?

CLS447

Platinum Member
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
Aprox 400 gyro
I have that & will post it later.

CLS447

Platinum Member
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
Aprox 400 gyro
Bobby, here it is.....

Castrol Syntrax 75W/90 synthetic Manual transmission oil.

CLS447

Platinum Member
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
Aprox 400 gyro
Weather is beautiful......took the bike to AutoZone & earned another point.

I think this is the stuff that Neil specs in his instructions. (not trans fluid )

Larry B. suggested the speed wax for my rotor blades.....thought I would give it a try.

Attachments

CLS447

Platinum Member
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
Aprox 400 gyro
Well, it seems 3/8" pipe fittings fit the threaded plug holes pretty well, so I will try using them. If they leak, I will remove gearbox cover & tap them for that thread.

CLS447

Platinum Member
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
Aprox 400 gyro
British pipe parallel thread........anyone know this ?

CLS447

Platinum Member
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
Aprox 400 gyro
New fuel lines , leaky bushings, installed new viton bushings, powered panel. primed fuel pump(aux) think I need checks. Next power computer & see what happens.

Won't be long till I fire her up !!!

CLS447

Platinum Member
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
Aprox 400 gyro
NO Way !!! Someone even cares ! I have not been in much of a hurry sooo...... Tomorrow we will be wrenching on Andy's SH again but I am totally ready to fire her up. I will let you all know ! I am excited & thrilled but I give away so much of my time that I don't get my own stuff done.

BTW.....I did bump the key to try out the starter without the prop on & she fired instantly...woops. I know she will start & the prop is all torqued down.....what a beast she is !

Next.... run it , adjust the prop pitch, & check gauges & look for Check engine codes !

Last edited: