Aurora Underway...AGAIN!

Monarchist

MTO Sport Owner
Aircraft
MTO Sport, R22/R44, Cirrus SR22-G3 Turbo, Bonanza B35-N (dead engine), Aurora Butterfly
Total Flight Time
So the build which began in 2007 but which was shelved is back on track!

Larry will be sending the remaining parts in the coming weeks...received the instrument panel, airspeed/altimeter, and engine monitor yesterday...ooohh, shiny!

Located a heck of a deal on a Rotax 912 and 68 inch Ivo prop, prop was shipped today, engine still being crated but will ship Friday or Monday. ($6k for engine, 1,500 hours, has the 2,000 hour TBO, excellent compression, all accessories, including new exhaust...came off an Aventura, as did the prop. Engine came off a Remos.)

Old construction log plus the sparkling new entry at http://www.jobie.com

Woohoo!

Congratulations John!!! It is great to hear that your project is moving forward once again. That is a screaming deal on a 912. Is it the 80 HP version or the 100 HP version?

Doug: It's the 100 horsepower! 912ULS...and the Ivo prop was 68 inches, exactly what I needed, no trimming required. The prop is basically new...the Aventura was ground-looped, but the prop didn't strike. There were only 65 hours on the prop when the machine crashed. Someone bought the 912 off the Aventura to put on their Remos...so they're getting a nearly brand new engine for about $7k net after I buy their old one. Win-win!

Stan: Thanks! Yes, I agree, it's absolutely true.

-John

Doug...was just browsing your build thread for reference and saw you had picked up a 912 a couple of years ago. What's the status of your build? I know you said you were working on finishing funds, but you have the motor right? How long do you think it'll be before you're flying?

Thanks Greg!

More stuff arrived today...tires, cables, etc.

Prop is on its way, engine shipping Tuesday or Wednesday of next week.

Woohoo!

-John

Doug...was just browsing your build thread for reference and saw you had picked up a 912 a couple of years ago. What's the status of your build? I know you said you were working on finishing funds, but you have the motor right? How long do you think it'll be before you're flying?

I'm about $10,000 away from being finished (with at least the basics) I still need to purchase some pnuematic parts for the automated suspension, the Turbo-Intercooler upgrade, Prop, Rotors, Instraments (I really want the new glass panel from MGL but may have to settle for basic instraments for now, Need to finish the composite parts and get them painted. So yeah, I am getting closer but still need to make a substantial investment and discretionary funds have been very tight lately. Sometimes you just have to deal with what life throws at you and be patient and I am trying to do that. It is hard when I see people around me moving forward and I am stalled. But as long as I never give up, I will eventually get there. (and it will be worth it).

Doug, you are absolutely right...I've been sitting idle for the past 4 years, and at one point had just resigned to myself that it would never happen.

When I realized I had $7k in equity in my motorcycle, I began to think....hey, this might be enough to get me the rest of the way except for the engine. And it was...almost, anyway.

My advice would be to focus on buying only what is needed to get it flying, and you can always upgrade/improve it later.

You'll get there!

-John

Received the IVO prop today...what a deal for $300. It was nearly perfect. Absolutely no nicks on the leading edge.

IMG_4449.jpg

Almost Ready To Fly!

Almost Ready To Fly!

Hang test completed, and all major work completed. There are things that will be added later, but it's pretty much ready to fly.

photo.JPG

Hopefully you'll have it at our Anahuac Fly-In in September.

Yipeee!!!!

Yipeee!!!!

Thrilled for you John ---- what a day! :whoo:
How exciting for you!
Who is test pilot for first flights & tweaks????
You'll race ahead now ...... a big start already being a rotor-pilot!!!
I'm just being patient plodding along with my training - having to fit around our busy season on the farm! :eek:hwell:

well done Dusty - not easy I know esp. so far from the creative source and know-how to finish the build! :hail:

We were on hand to see Larry take Brian's ultralight up for the first flight Sat eve!! --- most beautiful flying weather @ BP! :plane:

Thanks y'all! Dusty did a fantastic job -- he is incredibly detail-oriented and meticulous in his work.

Mike...I DEFINITELY plan on having it at Anahuac...I gotta get it to Texas hopefully within a few weeks. (My brother Dusty built it for me in WV.) Then get Larry to look it over and get it signed off in Olney.

Chris...I plan to let Larry fly it if he will...he knows what it should feel like better than anyone. I will fly with Desmon some more until he believes I am good to go, which I don't believe will take long.

So excited...that's a great way to start the summer!

-John

Thanks Farmer Jim, it's been a crazy year so far......hoping the 2nd half works out better! Shaping up nicely I think. :)

-John

John- Looks like you have a nicely built gyro, and you will have a ball with it. Looking forward to seeing some flying posts.

Stan

Thanks Stan, you set a high water mark in terms of videos...but I will definitely be posting some at some point soon. :)

-John

John,

That is exciting news. Congratulations!!! I think the longer it takes and the more challenges you have to overcome along the way, the sweeter the victory is when you finally get it done. I'm sure you are having a hard time sleeping at night right now with all the built up anticipation. Just take it slow and easy and make sure you do it safely and enjoy the heck out of the next couple of months. Are you planning to bring it to Menone in August? I hope so, I woudl love to see it.

Last edited:
Hi Doug,

That was definitely the plan originally, but I don't see a way to make it happen....I have to get it to Texas, get it signed-off, and fly off the hours before I can leave the area. It will be several weeks before I can get it to Texas to get the process started. Furthermore, a trip of that magnitude is not prudent until I build up more time in the ship.

And I am not going to trailer it...I think the best I can hope for is to fly to Anahuac near Houston in September...that should be no problem. (*should*...stay back, Murphy!)

-John